What parts could we make?

Need help with or have a question about your 3d printer? Ask it here!
Post Reply
User avatar
wermy
Site Admin
Posts: 1344
Joined: Tue May 03, 2016 8:51 pm
Has thanked: 618 times
Been thanked: 1319 times
Contact:

What parts could we make?

Post by wermy » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:07 am

Let's get the creative juices flowing! :)

So for the GBZ project here are the ones I've thought about or had suggested:
  • Screw post bracket (no epoxying the old screw posts or anything, woo!)
  • Button wells (the raised rim around where the original buttons sit)
What else??
ImageImageImageImage

User avatar
Ganreizu
Posts: 552
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 8:20 am
Has thanked: 168 times
Been thanked: 97 times

Re: What parts could we make?

Post by Ganreizu » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:16 am

Reposting from screw post thread:

How about a latch for the top side of the outside or inside of the case? My screen board and some others doesn't allow us to have a bracket like this because the board is so big so we need to figure a way to keep the top part of the case secure without it. Was gonna get a small door hinge or something to unlatch if i want to take the case apart but some 3D printed black plastic made specifically for the job would be perrrfect.

Other ideas:

Cartridge cases? (especially red and blue like the pokemon cartridge cases...don't want to tear those apart for selfish reasons)

User avatar
Robots86
Posts: 268
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 1:18 am
Location: Birmingham, UK
Has thanked: 39 times
Been thanked: 28 times

Re: What parts could we make?

Post by Robots86 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:27 pm

It would be quality if you could 3d print a middle piece to go between the front and back shells so we could fit extra parts. If it is possible you could choose thickness depending on your requirements

User avatar
wermy
Site Admin
Posts: 1344
Joined: Tue May 03, 2016 8:51 pm
Has thanked: 618 times
Been thanked: 1319 times
Contact:

Re: What parts could we make?

Post by wermy » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:36 pm

Ganreizu wrote:Reposting from screw post thread:

How about a latch for the top side of the outside or inside of the case? My screen board and some others doesn't allow us to have a bracket like this because the board is so big so we need to figure a way to keep the top part of the case secure without it. Was gonna get a small door hinge or something to unlatch if i want to take the case apart but some 3D printed black plastic made specifically for the job would be perrrfect.

Other ideas:

Cartridge cases? (especially red and blue like the pokemon cartridge cases...don't want to tear those apart for selfish reasons)
I have an idea for that first one... Hard to describe it though. I'll play around with it this weekend and see if it works. If it does then I'll post some pictures - you wouldn't need screws at all. :)

For the cartridge cases, kitsch-bent sells them! I think I'd much rather use a nice smooth factory-made one. But yes thingiverse has several models for GB cartridges, if you were so inclined. :) http://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=gam ... tridge&sa=
ImageImageImageImage

User avatar
Bubble
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun May 08, 2016 7:33 am
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: What parts could we make?

Post by Bubble » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:13 pm

Something that support the battery would be nice & would avoid it to travel in the GBZ.
I would make for little supports that you glue on the controller board with magnets in them.
This base would allow to level up the battery support plate so that we can attach stuffs under it, like the three buttons for the screen (in this area, there would be holes so that we can access the buttons from the top).
We could also make a recessed area on the battery support to make it powerboost friendly and leave access to the battery connector.
This plate would be hold in place with magnets on the four little supports to avoid permanent fixing.
If this isn't clear I could try to draw something. Sorry for my bad english.

User avatar
Ganreizu
Posts: 552
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 8:20 am
Has thanked: 168 times
Been thanked: 97 times

Re: What parts could we make?

Post by Ganreizu » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:49 pm

wermy wrote:I have an idea for that first one... Hard to describe it though. I'll play around with it this weekend and see if it works. If it does then I'll post some pictures - you wouldn't need screws at all. :)

For the cartridge cases, kitsch-bent sells them! I think I'd much rather use a nice smooth factory-made one. But yes thingiverse has several models for GB cartridges, if you were so inclined. :) http://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=gam ... tridge&sa=
Oooooo okay. It was hard to describe what i wanted to do also so good that you thought of something. Not needing screws makes it really out of nowhere. o.O I was expecting to use epoxy or glue in the first place though haha

Kitsch-bent's are clear only but i'll hit him up and ask him for red and blue cartridge colors! There has to be serious demand for those...

User avatar
wermy
Site Admin
Posts: 1344
Joined: Tue May 03, 2016 8:51 pm
Has thanked: 618 times
Been thanked: 1319 times
Contact:

Re: What parts could we make?

Post by wermy » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:56 pm

Ganreizu wrote: Oooooo okay. It was hard to describe what i wanted to do also so good that you thought of something. Not needing screws makes it really out of nowhere. o.O I was expecting to use epoxy or glue in the first place though haha

Kitsch-bent's are clear only but i'll hit him up and ask him for red and blue cartridge colors! There has to be serious demand for those...
well, ok I'll try and describe what I'm thinking: a few sort of hook-like things on the front side of the case across the top, and a few notches on the bottom half for them to hook into. So you would sort of hook the top part in and close it, then put the bottom screws in on the back. Does that make sense?

And I could swear KB used to carry colored cartridges... Care to weigh in @kitsch-bent?
ImageImageImageImage

User avatar
Ganreizu
Posts: 552
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 8:20 am
Has thanked: 168 times
Been thanked: 97 times

Re: What parts could we make?

Post by Ganreizu » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:02 pm

wermy wrote:well, ok I'll try and describe what I'm thinking: a few sort of hook-like things on the front side of the case across the top, and a few notches on the bottom half for them to hook into. So you would sort of hook the top part in and close it, then put the bottom screws in on the back. Does that make sense?
Yeah i think i know exactly what you have in mind. I had basically the same thought on how the least conspicuous way to make hooks on the inside of the case like what chiz did with his build or similar to how the battery case hooks in but i didn't know how to make something like that from scratch and have it be effective. 3D printing would definitely make it a cake walk!

User avatar
wermy
Site Admin
Posts: 1344
Joined: Tue May 03, 2016 8:51 pm
Has thanked: 618 times
Been thanked: 1319 times
Contact:

Re: What parts could we make?

Post by wermy » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:04 pm

Ganreizu wrote: Yeah i think i know exactly what you have in mind. I had basically the same thought on how the least conspicuous way to make hooks on the inside of the case like what chiz did with his build or similar to how the battery case hooks in but i didn't know how to make something like that from scratch and have it be effective. 3D printing would definitely make it a cake walk!
I'll see what I can do. :)
ImageImageImageImage

SidSilver
Posts: 263
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 6:22 am
Location: France
Has thanked: 137 times
Been thanked: 37 times

Re: What parts could we make?

Post by SidSilver » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:13 pm

Something like Cannikin's one? ;)
Maybe just a little bit stronger
[spoiler="Cannikin s"]
Cannikin wrote:Here's that hook mechanism I put together:

Image

Image

So there's a little square glued onto the front half that fits in the notch on the back half. It's better to make it NOT fit at first, then trim one side or the other so it has a nice tight fit.
[/spoiler]
Last edited by SidSilver on Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest