My design on etsy (smh)

Share your STL files, CAD design files, etc. here!
beerman

My design on etsy (smh)

Post by beerman » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:04 pm

I was browsing etsy for gameboy zero bits and came across one of my designs (a remix of wermy's screen bracket) for sale as part of a kit. I always use non commercial on thingiverse for the default license.

This https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2319250

was listed as part of this kit:
https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/5365906 ... shop&box=1

The cheeky git even used my photo (5th one). :D

I've filed a copyright claim against it. Does anyone know how good etsy are at pulling things or do they not care?

Felix

Re: My design on etsy (smh)

Post by Felix » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:29 pm

(To be clear I'm neutral) This is the blue sad face on thingiverse all over again. Because is he selling his service to print the parts or is he selling the .stl files or charging fees for it. It's a debate that goes a long way.

beerman

Post by beerman » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:37 am

The license states:
NonCommercial — You may not use the material for commercial purposes.
CC's NonCommercial (NC) licenses prohibit uses that are "primarily intended for or directed toward commercial advantage or monetary compensation."

So with the guy selling them I believe his use for the design is "primarily intended for or directed toward commercial advantage or monetary compensation."

Needless to say I'm a bit pissed about someone making money off my hard work and will have serious reservations uploading anything more to thingiverse. I've already pulled my gameboy designs.

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:48 am

I’ve seen those kits all over ebay since months also, just to let you know...
Follow me on instagram Image

abrugsch

Post by abrugsch » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:17 am

Just to play devil's advocate on this (I'm not expressing an opinion one way or the other on this because I get where you're coming from, just pointing something out...)

How do you feel about someone seeing your design on thingiverse, downloading the .stl and getting either shapeways or someone on 3D hubs to print it for them. In both cases (especially in the case of shapeways) the printers would probably charge more (sometimes a lot) than what this etsy seller is selling for a bundle of prints.

In both cases someone is making money from your thing. The difference is only really semantics

beerman

Post by beerman » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:15 am

abrugsch wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:17 am
Just to play devil's advocate on this (I'm not expressing an opinion one way or the other on this because I get where you're coming from, just pointing something out...)

How do you feel about someone seeing your design on thingiverse, downloading the .stl and getting either shapeways or someone on 3D hubs to print it for them. In both cases (especially in the case of shapeways) the printers would probably charge more (sometimes a lot) than what this etsy seller is selling for a bundle of prints.

In both cases someone is making money from your thing. The difference is only really semantics
I still wouldn't be keen but there is a bit of a difference with shapeways though. They are not directly advertising my design for sale and using a photo I didn't give permission to be used, this guy is. If he had a generic advert for a 3 print service without mentioning the stl in question I wouldn't care if someone sent him an stl of mine, he quoted a price and then printed it for them.

And in answer to my own question, how quick are etsy, very quick is the answer. The listing been removed and I got an email confirming it.

erik_gee

Post by erik_gee » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:59 pm

beerman wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:15 am
abrugsch wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:17 am

I still wouldn't be keen but there is a bit of a difference with shapeways though. They are not directly advertising my design for sale and using a photo I didn't give permission to be used, this guy is. If he had a generic advert for a 3 print service without mentioning the stl in question I wouldn't care if someone sent him an stl of mine, he quoted a price and then printed it for them.

And in answer to my own question, how quick are etsy, very quick is the answer. The listing been removed and I got an email confirming it.
What was the name of the seller?

Also, I feel the same way. The way I see it, if you are paying a hub to print it for you, it's still personal use. Yeah the hub guy makes a little off your print but again, it's a single item and paid as a service. If someone is actually producing your item in large quantities and reselling them, then that's a different story. Especially without consent. I think that is is very bad taste. I actually recently had a similar issue as you
GBC AIO kit Sales Thread:https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=9928

Bunch of different shoulder button kits Sales Thread:viewtopic.php?f=38&t=6233&p=63192#p63192

AIO board for DMG Sales Thread:
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=6431

6 Button Common Ground Board Sales Thread: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4811