Filament question

Looking for recommendations for a printer or printing software? Have a printer you recommend? Or one you strongly recommend *against*? Post it here!
MrErickson

Filament question

Post by MrErickson » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:03 pm

I would assume that both ABS and PLA would work fine for the printing of parts for use in a MintyPi/GBZ/Similar projects, what is everyone using and is there any reason to use one type over the other for this sort of printing project.

wermy
Site Admin

Re: Filament question

Post by wermy » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:58 am

Depending on what kind of printer you have, PLA can be much easier to print than ABS (so for the mintyPi for example, it's easier to get a nice flat faceplate with PLA rather than ABS usually). I use ABS for parts that need screws threaded into them as it's a little tougher. But honestly, as far as the actual characteristics of the materials go you're probably fine using either one. :)
ImageImageImageImage

snoek09

Post by snoek09 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:24 pm

https://www.3dhubs.com/knowledge-base/p ... difference
  • ABS and PLA are the most common desktop FDM printed materials and are typically similar in cost. ABS has superior mechanical properties but is harder to print with compared to PLA.
  • PLA is ideal for 3D prints where aesthetics are important. Due to its lower printing temperature is easier to print with and therefore better suited for parts with fine details.
  • ABS is best suited for applications where strength, ductility, machinability and thermal stability are required. ABS is more prone to warping.

StaticNebula26

Post by StaticNebula26 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:51 pm

I’ve heard PETG has the benefits of both

DieselDummy

Post by DieselDummy » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:00 pm

I prefer to print PETG over ABS, it doesn't smell as much and the warping/ bed adhesion seems better. PLA is the easiest to work with in my opinion, but doesn't seem to have the same strength and durability.