What kind of projects would you like to see next?

Got suggestions, feedback, praise, etc.? Post it here!
wermy
Site Admin

Re: What kind of projects would you like to see next?

Post by wermy » Mon May 16, 2016 8:15 am

Ganreizu wrote: I really hope someday we can get 3D printed GBZ cases. (original colors first especially black then custom designs/colors!)
I've been saving for a 3D printer for months, should have enough together for a decent one in the next few weeks. :D

The 3D printed cases I've seen have been kind of shoddy-looking to be honest, but being able to make parts will, I think, make lots of aspects of these projects way easier. Like the screw-post bracket from the 3rd guide for example: I'm hoping that entire part, including the screw posts, can just be 3D printed as one piece so folks could just glue that down rather than fiddling with epoxy and stuff. Really excited at the possibilities!
ImageImageImageImage

Ganreizu

Post by Ganreizu » Mon May 16, 2016 8:20 am

wermy wrote:
Ganreizu wrote: I really hope someday we can get 3D printed GBZ cases. (original colors first especially black then custom designs/colors!)
I've been saving for a 3D printer for months, should have enough together for a decent one in the next few weeks. :D

The 3D printed cases I've seen have been kind of shoddy-looking to be honest, but being able to make parts will, I think, make lots of aspects of these projects way easier. Like the screw-post bracket from the 3rd guide for example: I'm hoping that entire part, including the screw posts, can just be 3D printed as one piece so folks could just glue that down rather than fiddling with epoxy and stuff. Really excited at the possibilities!
Pre-made screen cutout and X+Y with button brackets would be an immense help too.

Robvp

Post by Robvp » Mon May 16, 2016 8:23 am

wermy wrote:

They look shoddy because decent 3d printing hardware is very expensive, the run of the mill consumer grade printer makes pretty low quality stuff, it's decent enough for playing around with but if you want something to be more precise you need to shell out big bucks.

Most consumer grade printers require you to sand down your objects to remove imperfections and make them smooth

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Mon May 16, 2016 8:28 am

Robvp wrote: They look shoddy because decent 3d printing hardware is very expensive, the run of the mill consumer grade printer makes pretty low quality stuff, it's decent enough for playing around with but if you want something to be more precise you need to shell out big bucks.

Most consumer grade printers require you to sand down your objects to remove imperfections and make them smooth
Yup. I'm definitely not shelling out enough for a super nice one. I'm looking forward to using it to make internal parts to make projects much easier, though! :)

Edit: And if there are others with 3d printers, I could see it turning into a section where people share their 3d models for parts and stuff. Could be awesome!
ImageImageImageImage

CandyManCriminal

Post by CandyManCriminal » Mon May 16, 2016 9:01 am

wermy wrote: I'm definitely not shelling out enough for a super nice one.
pleasepleaseplease at LEAST get a nice one
if you go too cheap the lines are just... so awful

toiletpaper69

Post by toiletpaper69 » Mon May 16, 2016 10:33 am

Invest in body putty and paint to go along with your 3D printer.

crispy_tofu

Post by crispy_tofu » Tue May 17, 2016 12:11 am

If only a certain $100 3D printer hadn't gone down the drain because it turned out to be a scam and if only one of the guys hadn't embezzled $300k from the campaign to build a house...

(If you're wondering, I'm talking about the Peachy Printer)

Kilren

Post by Kilren » Tue May 17, 2016 7:21 am

crispy_tofu wrote:If only a certain $100 3D printer hadn't gone down the drain because it turned out to be a scam and if only one of the guys hadn't embezzled $300k from the campaign to build a house...

(If you're wondering, I'm talking about the Peachy Printer)
Maybe he 3d printed his house? :P

paolobabe99

Post by paolobabe99 » Mon May 23, 2016 12:25 pm

Robvp wrote:
johnweland wrote:I'd like to see an original GBA style build (but with A,B,X,Y buttons) Image

I have a Pi Zero sitting here and a spare case for the GBA as I replaced the shell of my GBA a while back.
I've been interested in this one but I don't see where I could put x and y buttons, the buttons are centered in an area that doesn't leave comfortable room for the other buttons.

There's a gba clone with the x and y buttons but getting one will set you back from 75 to 100 bucks just so you can use that housing

http://i0.wp.com/obscurehandhelds.com/w ... 250861.jpg
Here is the Shell for $30
http://www.k1gbasp.com/revo-k101-plus-c ... c685b6bdfa

dominator

Post by dominator » Tue May 24, 2016 3:06 am

I'd like to see a Gameboy Color, to me its more appealing to the eye than a Gba. Or how about a GB3? (with the board not cut). When I first decided to build a handheld, I went through a long list of consoles, trying to decide what would be best. I had thought of a PSP, though the screen is widescreen, and a lot of old games don't use that format, so it's pointless and not to mention lacking the retro design.
When I have completed my GBZ build, I am going to tackle a Wonderswan. Hopefully by then, I will have learn't how to build something small and neat (I have only built arcade machines before).