What kind of projects would you like to see next?

Got suggestions, feedback, praise, etc.? Post it here!
RazorX

Re: What kind of projects would you like to see next?

Post by RazorX » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:21 am

I'd like to see a pi used in a retro console maybe as a cartridge emulator or perhaps make a portable rom dumper so you can dump your master system games etc with out a pc.

Lpoolm

Post by Lpoolm » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:31 pm

I have to go with the gameboy advance or gameboy colour for the next project (nice and compact), looking at getting a faulty one of each soon to try and experiment!

I am surprised no one has mentioned an Atari Lynx though. The Lynx 2 looks so much better so fancy having a go with that plus good button choice already on except for the shoulders, but with the Lynx 1 you could probably get a few pi's in that case :lol:
Check out my modding and repair channel of retro and modern consoles:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFz7yW ... GtQ/videos

the antithesis

Post by the antithesis » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:43 am

I would like to see a non-game related project. I love retro games, but it's all I can think of to do with a Pi. I have three different models and I loaded Retropie on all of them. So, how about something else to get my mind off of retrogames.

Maybe a home theater system that is also portable so you can take it to a friend's house?
Or a smartphone. That'd be cool. I want to make my own phone.

Geddy

Post by Geddy » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:05 pm

Robvp wrote:
johnweland wrote:I'd like to see an original GBA style build (but with A,B,X,Y buttons) Image

I have a Pi Zero sitting here and a spare case for the GBA as I replaced the shell of my GBA a while back.
I've been interested in this one but I don't see where I could put x and y buttons, the buttons are centered in an area that doesn't leave comfortable room for the other buttons.

There's a gba clone with the x and y buttons but getting one will set you back from 75 to 100 bucks just so you can use that housing

http://i0.wp.com/obscurehandhelds.com/w ... 250861.jpg

I'd love to see one of these, with or without the four buttons! Two would work fine for up to Game Boy Advance games, which is as 'high' as I'd like mine to go anyway. Currently my main issue is figure out how to do the controls without chopping up a Gameboy common ground pcb and wiring it to a teensy. If only they'd make a wider one to fit a GBA housing...

Hathe

Post by Hathe » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:02 pm

Altoid mini project tutorial. Pelican / Nanuk briefcase laptop for portable games.

HarveyM

Post by HarveyM » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:16 pm

I would really love if you do a completely custom body/case built similar to the shape of a PS4 controller for the nice hand grips while playing those retro games
Instead of having the touchpad and joysticks in the center, you have the screen and small speakers on either side.
Have the Start and Select buttons placed just below the Screen facing you with a headphones jack and Volume control.
On the Front you have your R1 & L1 buttons with USB ports, SD or MicroSD card slot, Charging port & an HDMI or Video out port to play using an external display.
Chargable batteries placed inside the grips.
Width and Length adjusted to the screen size you used for GBzero.
My drawing of what I am imagining.

Size could be do able especially if someone can make an all in one board for it like Helder made for your GBzero http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1034

Liquidream

Post by Liquidream » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:09 am

For what it's worth, I'd love to see more info for the MintyPi (Altoids tin) project.
It's pretty much perfect for what I want (portable PICO-8 / Emulation device).

I'm a noob to electronics, so a beginner level tutorial would be ideal.
Even a complete list of components would be a helpful start, at least I'd know how much I'm looking at!
(I already have a Pi Zero + the tin, so I'm guessing the screen'll prob be the most expensive?)

Either way, thanks Wermy for sharing your vids and info! ;)

T.J.

Post by T.J. » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:59 am

I really wouldn't mind watching a step by step of you programming everything and maybe explaining how everything is communicating with each other and what other options there is to do with these devices.

Evilz

Post by Evilz » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:07 am

What about something different !

USB man in the middle !

I all ready see someone doing this using two teensy.
The idea is to plug one usb to the device you want to "control" and the other to what you in fact.

You can simulate different kind of usb device, mouse, keyboard ....
You can program some write on usb port.

Maybe adding a touch screen can be cool or not.

Read more here

BigOlTexasBoy

Post by BigOlTexasBoy » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:47 pm

The DMG hub looks cool and fairly simple. If I use Helder's AIO board, would I need to run power to the USB from the power strip or would the Pi0 handle wifi, Bluetooth and a keyboard or multiple controllers?