Forum Suggestions

Got suggestions, feedback, praise, etc.? Post it here!
CrystuL

Forum Suggestions

Post by CrystuL » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:52 am

I honestly think this forum could become BOOMING. Honestly, with the crazy things that are happening here with the Game-Boy and tons of people wanting to learn.

I think that if you better allocate some of the sections off and create a few more it would help drive in more members. And, I definitely think that you should add awards if phpBB supports that and be able to give members awards like you would see on a myBB forum.

Also, a good thing to do would to make the forum un-viewable if you don't register. That would also bring more people in here and possibly get them to actually stay if they actually feel like the enjoy the community.

Also, an Introduction section would be a nice thing, get to know a little bit about somebody and what they are here for, or have to offer, etc.

Make a section called "General" and under that should go "Introductions, News/Announcements, Lounge(talk about whatever), Suggestions, Showoff"

Take out the "sudomods projects" section and create a "Projects Section" and inside that create all your projects.

Create a "Guides/Tutorials" section and in that sub-forum off "Hardware Guides" "Software Guides" "Game-Boy Zero Guides" "SNES Guides". Also, make this section viewable only if you have a required post count of 10 maybe, also a good idea to bring in traffic and keep the activity flowing.

Get rid of the Everything Else forum because we have pretty much covered that off.

Create a "Market" Section and sub-off "Buy" "Sell" "Trade" "Services".

Also, the thread approval thing seems kind of odd for me, especially since if somebody has a question, and the only 2 mods technically are you, the site owner(wermy) who is obviously busier than hell keeping up with this forum and then trying to complete builds as well as life and then Helder who I am very positive has spent the majority of his life recently making circuit boards for people to make them happy and the other 2 mods haven't been online in a while. Just a few things to add, again, not hating at all, just giving out ideas that can help the community out in a positive way.

Just a few suggestions, let me know what you guys think.

Camble

Re: Forum Suggestions

Post by Camble » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:13 am

CrystuL wrote:a good thing to do would to make the forum un-viewable if you don't register
This will just drive lurkers away.

CrystuL

Post by CrystuL » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:17 am

Camble wrote:
CrystuL wrote:a good thing to do would to make the forum un-viewable if you don't register
This will just drive lurkers away.

But, it would make people want to register and participate in things and they would have to register and post to learn instead of staying nu-registered and reading the tutorials and what-not.

Camble

Post by Camble » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:18 am

No, it would force people to register.

CrystuL

Post by CrystuL » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:21 am

Camble wrote:No, it would force people to register.
Can see some pros and cons about it. How about making everything viewable up until actually looking at the thread, or at least just for certain sections maybe?

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:47 am

Thanks for the suggestions! I agree that the subforums do need some cleanup -- especially the projects forums. I'll try to prioritize that soon.

I'm not a fan of the idea of making it require registration just for viewing... I have seen so many first-time posters who said they were lurking for ages, got all their parts together and then were excited share their progress. I feel like the conversion rate from lurker to member/poster has to be relatively high for folks who are jumping in and actually making something. And if they aren't making something then why make them register?

Also there already is a section with a lounge/general chat, and within that is an introductions thread. I could make that a sticky, I suppose - might help with visibility. :)
ImageImageImageImage

Spaddel

Post by Spaddel » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:36 am

CrystuL wrote:Create a "Guides/Tutorials" section and in that sub-forum off "Hardware Guides" "Software Guides" "Game-Boy Zero Guides" "SNES Guides". Also, make this section viewable only if you have a required post count of 10 maybe, also a good idea to bring in traffic and keep the activity flowing.
I'm not sure if that's a good idea. Why would you want to force people to post something if they have nothing interesting to say? There are already topics with tons of redundant questions that have been answered. So far, these questions are asked by people who do not care about reading enough, which can become quite annoying - why would you want more of this? Or more Off-Topic, just to get your posting count up?

The sorting-thing however sounds pretty good 8-)

ChefBillyGoat

Post by ChefBillyGoat » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:37 pm

As someone thay lurked for months before signing up, I definitely don't think forced registration should be a thing. I bought Kite's Super AIO 2-3 months before registering. I bought 2 of Camble's Banggood Safe Shutdown Switches before registering. I don't post. Why should? I'm still acquiring parts, doing research, planning things out, and taking my time. Had I been forced to register, I probably wouldn't have done ANY of that. Sure, its not some monster contribution, but it's something and it helps further the community. I'm sure I'm not the only one thats purchased without registering. I wouldn't have learned nearly as much as I have about GBZ's. The wealth of information this forum has to offer, while it could be packaged in a more intuitive manner, is a blessing to anyone looking to dip their toes in and shouldn't be restricted.

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:55 pm

ChefBillyGoat wrote:As someone thay lurked for months before signing up, I definitely don't think forced registration should be a thing. I bought Kite's Super AIO 2-3 months before registering. I bought 2 of Camble's Banggood Safe Shutdown Switches before registering. I don't post. Why should? I'm still acquiring parts, doing research, planning things out, and taking my time. Had I been forced to register, I probably wouldn't have done ANY of that. Sure, its not some monster contribution, but it's something and it helps further the community. I'm sure I'm not the only one thats purchased without registering. I wouldn't have learned nearly as much as I have about GBZ's. The wealth of information this forum has to offer, while it could be packaged in a more intuitive manner, is a blessing to anyone looking to dip their toes in and shouldn't be restricted.
Thanks for the input. :) Users like you are exactly why I wouldn't want to enable forced registration for viewing/browsing.
ImageImageImageImage

winnston84

Post by winnston84 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:24 am

The guides thing is an idea to roll with. As someone new to everything this project entails, I have asked a few questions which have straightforward answers. I've tried to search the forum/google, but with a young child I have to try and use my time wisely so I resort to seeking an instant solution (bugging people here! :D )

But definitely, create simple tips/instructions/guides for the newbie to the expert, and by newbie i'm talking I've never soldered a wire before new! This will help the breadth of experienced individuals bridge gaps a bit more.

And as many guides as you may have, sometimes people just want to speak directly to another, so maybe a section devoted to "seeking help" where you experienced guys can act as troubleshooters.

You will always have lurkers on forum, forcing their hand will only irritate or drive them away.