Retropie in the cast of Dreamcast

Show off your completed VMµ, or post your build logs here!
dandelion

Retropie in the cast of Dreamcast

Post by dandelion » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:42 am

unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg (41.45 KiB) Viewed 6040 times
Hello to all!
A year ago, after reading articles about retropie and after watching its implementations in various cases of old consoles, I decided to put together something similar in the Dreamcast case.
I started with the purchase, that's what I needed:
Raspberry pi 3 model — $36.19 (1)
USB extension cable - $ 1.32 (4)
HDMI Extender - $ 1.39 (1)
Micro SD 16 GB - $ 5 (1)
Power Supply 5V 2.5A - $ 2.40 (1)
Power Connector - $ 1 (1)
Power Lead - $ 1.20 (1)
HDMI wire - $ 2 (1)
Cooler 5V - $ 1.02 (1)
Radiator Kit for raspberry - $ 1.36 (1)
Blue LED with a 5 mm lens - $ 1 ()
Gamepad 1 - $ 10.72 (1)
Gamepad 2 - $ 3 (1).
Initially, I planned to take extension cords no longer than 30 cm, but this posed a problem, since the sellers did not have them in stock, and they were added to the store to attract buyers with a low price. Therefore, I bought a length of 0.5 m and this ultimately complicated their laying and closing the case.Here is about everything that was ordered (without gamepads):
unnamed (1).jpg
unnamed (1).jpg (34.32 KiB) Viewed 6040 times
While waiting for the delivery of goods from Ali, he started buying the case, working out the layout and fixing the connectors in the case (the idea was to use all the standard openings without modifications using parts printed on a 3D printer). After a brief search, the corps was found in an online store from Novosibirsk. With delivery he cost me 750 rubles. The condition was at 4, there were scratches and the color was already closer to yellow. Therefore, I decided to paint the body. I ordered paint (white and gray), primer and lacquer for 1000 rubles, but, looking ahead, I would say that the idea failed.
unnamed (2).jpg
unnamed (2).jpg (18.69 KiB) Viewed 6040 times
The hull came fairly quickly (after about 7 days) and I started to fill it. First of all, I worked the plate on which the raspberry was attached:
unnamed (3).jpg
unnamed (3).jpg (25.5 KiB) Viewed 6040 times
Next, I began to work out the attachment of connectors. To do this, I circled the opening, threw photos into the Compass, adjusted the scale and drew the model of attachment. For printing on a 3D printer, a separate thank you mate! It turned out like this:
unnamed (4).jpg
unnamed (4).jpg (18.73 KiB) Viewed 6040 times
USB brackets:
unnamed (5).jpg
unnamed (5).jpg (20.51 KiB) Viewed 6040 times
Bracket for HDMI (here I had to cut off the rubber part of the connector body, otherwise I could not fix it):
unnamed (6).jpg
unnamed (6).jpg (21 KiB) Viewed 6040 times
Bracket for microSD extension cord (here you just needed to remove the plastic case from the extension cord):
unnamed (7).jpg
unnamed (7).jpg (20.42 KiB) Viewed 6040 times
Bracket for RJ45 adapter:
unnamed (8).jpg
unnamed (8).jpg (19.22 KiB) Viewed 6040 times
In the bracket, in order not to reprint, I had to drill a hole in the places where the soldering protruded.
To install the remaining parts:
The cooler was placed in the same place where the mother stood and was powered by raspberry pins;
The power connector turned out to be slightly larger than the opening and was modified by a file;
The case was removed from the power supply, the 220V contacts were sealed to the power connector via the “Power” button, 5V were connected to the raspberry wire by USB-microUSB and the LED was 0.35 sq. Meters.
Intermediate result:
unnamed (9).jpg
unnamed (9).jpg (48.34 KiB) Viewed 6040 times
unnamed (10).jpg
unnamed (10).jpg (49.21 KiB) Viewed 6040 times
unnamed (11).jpg
unnamed (11).jpg (23.44 KiB) Viewed 6040 times
The assembly was difficult, all the details had already been fitted. There was only one problem with power supply, raspberry constantly gave an error, the replacement of the USB-microUSB wire between the power supply and raspberry helped.

Jo.Ckel

Re: Retropie in the cast of Dreamcast

Post by Jo.Ckel » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:39 am

looks pretty awesome! would be great to see pictures while running.
As you installed the 4 USB cables, I expect you are able to play with 4 players now? :-)

Brgds