Announcing the Summer 2018 sudomod community competition!

Will you be participating in this competition?

Yes :)
67%
No :(
33%

Total votes: 54

wermy
Site Admin

Re: Announcing the June 2018 sudomod community competition!

Post by wermy » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:25 am

TheHappiestBug wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:24 pm
What about 3d printers? Are we doing traditional 10 cents per gram of filament? Or is there a set cost?
3d printers are fine to use. I suppose an estimate of the cost of plastic would make sense, though I doubt that will amount to much unless it's huge. :)
ImageImageImageImage

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:29 am

Ampersand wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:51 am
Where to post the project ?and how ?
"You’ll have until August 31st, 11:59:59PM CST to finish your project, and post a project log thread in the competition section (you'll need to include a parts list with cost and source for each part, too). I’ll open up that section a week before, on August 24th, to give people time to make their threads"
The thinking behind waiting until the last week or so for allowing people to post their projects was to eliminate the possibility of people stealing/copying project ides. Thinking about it now though, it would be pretty fun to see people's progress along the way, so maybe I could open it up for people to post project threads from the beginning. What do you guys think?
ImageImageImageImage

ArKade

Post by ArKade » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:40 pm

Finally! I’ve been checking the announcements thread everyday ever since the thread opened for news on it! Thanks, wermy! I will be entering, of course. :)

ArKade

Post by ArKade » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:47 pm

wermy wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:29 am
Ampersand wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:51 am
Where to post the project ?and how ?
"You’ll have until August 31st, 11:59:59PM CST to finish your project, and post a project log thread in the competition section (you'll need to include a parts list with cost and source for each part, too). I’ll open up that section a week before, on August 24th, to give people time to make their threads"
The thinking behind waiting until the last week or so for allowing people to post their projects was to eliminate the possibility of people stealing/copying project ides. Thinking about it now though, it would be pretty fun to see people's progress along the way, so maybe I could open it up for people to post project threads from the beginning. What do you guys think?
Maybe we should post our idea on a thread first, and then we can make our project threads during the one week. Then we’ll know who thought of the idea first.

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:25 pm

ArKade wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:47 pm
Maybe we should post our idea on a thread first, and then we can make our project threads during the one week. Then we’ll know who thought of the idea first.
Well, you've made me realize that if people get their project threads out there sooner rather than later then that would also serve as a sort of ledger for any claims of copying... I may just go ahead and open it up for people to put build logs up.

I doubt this will be an issue anyway -- this is such a great community and the only issues with things like this that we've had have been with custom parts people have been trying to rip off and sell. Obviously that wouldn't be the case here. The prizes aren't that big and really it's not about the prizes, anyway. :)
ImageImageImageImage

obsidianspider

Post by obsidianspider » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:24 am

2 ESP32s ordered. This should help nicely with my "you have to have four projects started until you can finish one" requirement so I can get something else finished. ;)

I have no idea how to use an ESP32 or what I'm going to make, but I'd better get started if I want something done by the end of August. :)

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:35 am

I plan to attempt to build something....Now I just need to figure out what it's going to be...

Holydohnut

Post by Holydohnut » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:07 am

I would have a go, but several projects on the go + life means that I just won't get the chance. Good luck everyone who does!

Marky_Malarky

Post by Marky_Malarky » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:32 am

This is epic so far can't wait to see what everyone comes up with,

Great video weeny! 😉 Finally had time to watch, your maker space has become a great source of envy for me hahaha

Also have no idea how the ESP32 are but I do have an idea of what to build with it And this is an awesome chance to get to learn all about it 🤘🏼

wermy
Site Admin

Re: Announcing the Summer 2018 sudomod community competition!

Post by wermy » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:02 am

Alright, I went ahead and created a "Project Logs" section where you can make a thread for your project to let people see, if you want. I'll create a "Completed Projects" section a week before the deadline for people to post their finished projects in; that way it will be easy to see finished projects for voting purposes.
ImageImageImageImage