Kite's Pi - Custom boards

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
kite

Kite's Pi - Custom boards

Post by kite » Wed May 18, 2016 3:42 pm

Hi!

During my build and PCB design a few things have changed and there are now a lot of posts and replies so I will spend a few days condensing it all down into this first post! I'll also make sure everything is nice and clear :)

Some pics:

Archived.
Last edited by kite on Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:23 am, edited 17 times in total.

solder

Re: Kite's GBO Pi - WIP (Custom boards)

Post by solder » Wed May 18, 2016 4:35 pm

Kudos!

If you ever massproduce those boards, i'm a taker ;P

Can you link to the microfans that you ordered? I'm currently fiddeling on a GBrPI3 too and maybe i have some room left for a fan :]

Kilren

Post by Kilren » Wed May 18, 2016 4:41 pm

kite wrote:Hi!
Hello!

This looks really neat. You seem to have a fantastic grasp on what you want to accomplish. Will you share (open source or sell) the boards you're using at a future date?

uke

Post by uke » Wed May 18, 2016 4:56 pm

Wow, I'd love to see a detailed tutorial on this too. And those boards, if you ever sell them, I'd buy them!

crispy_tofu

Post by crispy_tofu » Wed May 18, 2016 6:43 pm

Looking good, this looks very neat! :D

Fleder

Post by Fleder » Thu May 19, 2016 12:34 am

I love how everyone is taking a completely different path. Really looking forward to see this coming together.

kite

Post by kite » Thu May 19, 2016 12:52 am

solder wrote:Kudos!

If you ever massproduce those boards, i'm a taker ;P

Can you link to the microfans that you ordered? I'm currently fiddeling on a GBrPI3 too and maybe i have some room left for a fan :]
If the boards work out well I will definitely make more and make available! The fact that it will mean not having to glue pots etc into the sides should make everything neat!

These fans are NOT cheap..I bought one of each to try out.. Looking back at them I can't believe I spent that much on them! The 30mm one was the cheapest so I hope that is the best one!! Because they are lateral blowers, a low profile heatsink + these fans should be very slim AND provide just enough cooling. They are incredibly low current so I'm hopeful! :) I will report back on them when they arrive, as I doubt many others would want to splash out on them until I've tested.. if it does work REALLY well I could possibly order in bulk to get them into a sensible price, but we'll see!
uke wrote:Wow, I'd love to see a detailed tutorial on this too. And those boards, if you ever sell them, I'd buy them!
When I get into cutting, wiring, and building I will document all my steps, so far I've been doing a lot of thinking and cutting of paper, I think I'm at the stage where I can actually order PCBs now :) These are just some of the cutouts in the various versions that I was trying out:

Post by 1461748123 » Thu May 19, 2016 1:26 am

Damn that looks awesome! :)
Would you mind sharing the files for the PCB? I'm really curios to check them out! :D

kite

Post by kite » Thu May 19, 2016 1:33 am

1461748123 wrote:Damn that looks awesome! :)
Would you mind sharing the files for the PCB? I'm really curios to check them out! :D
At some point I will share out the files, right now it is completely untested so I need to actually have them made first before anything else happens! I spent a lot of time generating the gameboy outline and template which I then used to fill out the buttons and schematics, so I can potentially share this too (again once pcbs arrive to make sure all holes actually line up). I did all this with the case, camera, scanner, and vernier.. It wasn't until recently that I actually found the original 2 and 4 button schematics so I could have saved time and reused those but oh well, at least mine is 100% mine and no copying :)

With the outline and hole positioning others can use to make their own custom designs, which would be really interesting!

Post by 1461748123 » Thu May 19, 2016 1:40 am

kite wrote:
1461748123 wrote:Damn that looks awesome! :)
At some point I will share out the files, right now it is completely untested so I need to actually have them made first before anything else happens! I spent a lot of time generating the gameboy outline and template which I then used to fill out the buttons and schematics, so I can potentially share this too (again once pcbs arrive to make sure all holes actually line up). I did all this with the case, camera, scanner, and vernier.. It wasn't until recently that I actually found the original 2 and 4 button schematics so I could have saved time and reused those but oh well, at least mine is 100% mine and no copying :)

With the outline and hole positioning others can use to make their own custom designs, which would be really interesting!
You are doing a amazing job! When I was designing my button PCB I struggle with the dimensions as well and I have no clue how can I do it. Thankfully someone have made that original PCB and I can build my own on top of that :)
Can't wait for you to share the outline and the template! :D

EDIT: By the way, how are you going to put on all of those surface mount components? Using the good old oven or?