Mounted screen upside down - can Teensy go somewhere else?

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
ylwsub68

Mounted screen upside down - can Teensy go somewhere else?

Post by ylwsub68 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:27 pm

So I mounted my screen upside down so it could be centered better. The ribbon cable now comes down from the top of the GB and the back of the display board now faces downward. Now I'm at the part where the board connects to the display. I cut the Teensy wires to where they come up to the top, like the post said. But now it seems to rest where the ribbon cable is. Can I move the Teensy to another part of the case, or can I somehow flip the display board at this point, or did I completely f*** myself here? :?

skrapps914

Re: Mounted screen upside down - can Teensy go somewhere else?

Post by skrapps914 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:13 am

if you shorten the wires, you can probably place the teensy right where your fingers are

Ganreizu

Post by Ganreizu » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:53 am

I put mine on the bottom of the case to the right of the headphone jack, like this:

https://s31.postimg.org/51xrir1rv/image.jpg

You may need to re-wire your teensy to make it fit like this though.

Flowlance

Post by Flowlance » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:46 am

If you mounted it upside down i assume you have to make a config change to rotate the screen. However, what happens if you plug in a hdmi display, i guess that will be rotated too?

ylwsub68

Post by ylwsub68 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:51 am

Flowlance wrote:If you mounted it upside down i assume you have to make a config change to rotate the screen. However, what happens if you plug in a hdmi display, i guess that will be rotated too?
I've already made that change and it works great on the screen :D Haven't tested HDMI yet

Ganreizu

Post by Ganreizu » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:15 am

Flowlance wrote:If you mounted it upside down i assume you have to make a config change to rotate the screen. However, what happens if you plug in a hdmi display, i guess that will be rotated too?
If you use rotate_display=2 in config, then yes HDMI gets flipped as well, however you can use an EDID tag, grab the EDID handle for the TV you want to plug into, and then rotate_display=0 to flip it back.

chiz

Post by chiz » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:05 am

ylwsub68 wrote:So I mounted my screen upside down so it could be centered better. The ribbon cable now comes down from the top of the GB and the back of the display board now faces downward. Now I'm at the part where the board connects to the display. I cut the Teensy wires to where they come up to the top, like the post said. But now it seems to rest where the ribbon cable is. Can I move the Teensy to another part of the case, or can I somehow flip the display board at this point, or did I completely f*** myself here? :?

I put the Teensy at the back of the button controller like in the pic below:
[spoiler="Teensy placement"]Image[/spoiler]

stefanli

Post by stefanli » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:03 am

Ganreizu wrote:
If you use rotate_display=2 in config, then yes HDMI gets flipped as well, however you can use an EDID tag, grab the EDID handle for the TV you want to plug into, and then rotate_display=0 to flip it back.
I will mount the screen upside-down aswell can you tell me more on EDID, and explain like you talking to a total noob, because that's me ;)

Ganreizu

Post by Ganreizu » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:32 pm

stefanli wrote:I will mount the screen upside-down aswell can you tell me more on EDID, and explain like you talking to a total noob, because that's me ;)
What screen do you have? On cannikin's 640x480 screen there's an option on the screen itself that flips the image so you don't need the EDID solution (and therefore don't need to deal with EDID's downsides) at all. I'll edit this post with EDID info later.

stefanli

Post by stefanli » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:57 am

Ganreizu wrote:
stefanli wrote:I will mount the screen upside-down aswell can you tell me more on EDID, and explain like you talking to a total noob, because that's me ;)
What screen do you have? On cannikin's 640x480 screen there's an option on the screen itself that flips the image so you don't need the EDID solution (and therefore don't need to deal with EDID's downsides) at all. I'll edit this post with EDID info later.

I have a cheapo eBay screen. So I doubt it has that function