Charging with external batteries/car charger

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
Ganreizu

Charging with external batteries/car charger

Post by Ganreizu » Wed May 11, 2016 9:07 am

I have a few external batteries, the type that you charge phones with. I feel like the battery life is decent with the internal battery but if i were ever on the road or on a plane i'm definitely going to run out of charge. Are we able to use external batteries to charge this thing, or a car charger? Would rather not have to carry and switch out several internal batteries and i don't think it would travel well either.

Robvp

Re: Charging with external batteries/car charger

Post by Robvp » Wed May 11, 2016 11:00 am

Pretty sure you could, it acts as a normal 5v power source, as far as the pi is concerned it doesn't matter where the power comes from as long as it's 5v and has enough amperage.

I've tested the pi with a 2800mah power bank and it powers it fine, don't have the power boost 1000 in order to test further though

jpk806

Post by jpk806 » Wed May 11, 2016 11:41 am

I have the PowerBoost 1000c and can confirm that as long as it gets 5V it will charge. However, for the charge to be appreciable you should make sure your voltage source (whether mobile or desktop) has appreciable current output. I don't know much about the charging process, but I know from the spec sheet that the PowerBoost 1000c can draw up to 1800mAh while charging and in use, so a 2A capable charger would be ideal. You should look into this one that I bought a little while ago (I'm very happy with it): http://amzn.to/1T6lmVl
I hope this helps!

Ganreizu

Post by Ganreizu » Wed May 11, 2016 12:08 pm

jpk806 wrote:I have the PowerBoost 1000c and can confirm that as long as it gets 5V it will charge. However, for the charge to be appreciable you should make sure your voltage source (whether mobile or desktop) has appreciable current output. I don't know much about the charging process, but I know from the spec sheet that the PowerBoost 1000c can draw up to 1800mAh while charging and in use, so a 2A capable charger would be ideal. You should look into this one that I bought a little while ago (I'm very happy with it): http://amzn.to/1T6lmVl
I hope this helps!
This is actually exactly the same one i have. :D I own two others that aren't the same brand but similar capacity so i'm sure it'll work.

Thanks all~

Rorence

Post by Rorence » Tue May 23, 2017 9:34 pm

The tool for me to charge external batteries is 300w power inverter from bestek. I have acquired how to use it to charge camera battery and laptop in car. My brother recommends this tool to me in last year. Maybe this is another choice for you. You can get more information on bestekmall. Wish this point is helpful to you.