*WiFi Dongle Idea* Need Help!

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
Synapse

*WiFi Dongle Idea* Need Help!

Post by Synapse » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:09 pm

Okay, this might be kinda long... Anyhow, I had an idea that I thought might be a nice solution for WiFi on the GameBoy Zero. Here we go!

I believe that in wermy's GameBoy Zero (DMG-00, perhaps?) he attached a WiFi dongle to the USB hub inside the GameBoy itself. While I am sure this works great, I thought an elegant solution could be to buy an "EXT. CONNECTOR" port and mod it to work as a USB port, then mod the plug, a replica link cable, perhaps, to act as a WiFi dongle. I am hoping to be able to get started on that, but I can't find just the link port for purchase :(. Anyone know where I might be able to buy one? I know that @kitsch-bent has one for the GBA/GBC/MGB, but wonder if anyone sells one for the DMG-01. Whew! Long post! Sorry if all these words scared you away... Wait. Then you wouldn't be reading this... Never mind.

Thanks,

Synapse

kitsch-bent

Re: *WiFi Dongle Idea* Need Help!

Post by kitsch-bent » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:20 pm

a 6-pin firewire port can be made to fit into that spot. actually, the DMG link ports were a basis for that design (its mentioned somewhere in the firewire founding docs if you check those out, from when the protocol was developed/proposed).

unfortunately, that link port is not available as a replacement part (you have to use pulls).
its full of Game Boy Zero stuff!!! -----> -----> -----> http://store.kitsch-bent.com

(^_^) *(^_^)* (^_^) >*(^_^)*< (^_^) *(^_^)* (^_^)

Synapse

Post by Synapse » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:24 pm

kitsch-bent wrote:a 6-pin firewire port can be made to fit into that spot. actually, the DMG link ports were a basis for that design (its mentioned somewhere in the firewire founding docs if you check those out, from when the protocol was developed/proposed).

unfortunately, that link port is not available as a replacement part (you have to use pulls).
I'll definitely have to look into that. Would any mods to the case be required?

Thanks,

Synapse

Synapse

Post by Synapse » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:34 pm

Just found out that Thursday Customs' USB Boy has the port on it. The Board costs $80 US though, so I will be looking for other options.

kitsch-bent

Post by kitsch-bent » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:09 pm

Synapse wrote:
kitsch-bent wrote:a 6-pin firewire port can be made to fit into that spot. actually, the DMG link ports were a basis for that design (its mentioned somewhere in the firewire founding docs if you check those out, from when the protocol was developed/proposed).

Thanks,

Synapse
two very tiny cuts, that is it.... the firewire ports are all squared corners, the DMG link port has two corners with a.... (i'm not sure the word atm, super tired, having brain fart), 'beveled' corners. like... not pointy.

you just have to square off that part of the case, and they fit well. stick out a little more, but otherwise are good and sturdy
its full of Game Boy Zero stuff!!! -----> -----> -----> http://store.kitsch-bent.com

Synapse

Post by Synapse » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:18 pm

kitsch-bent wrote:
Synapse wrote:

Thanks,

Synapse
two very tiny cuts, that is it.... the firewire ports are all squared corners, the DMG link port has two corners with a.... (i'm not sure the word atm, super tired, having brain fart), 'beveled' corners. like... not pointy.

you just have to square off that part of the case, and they fit well. stick out a little more, but otherwise are good and sturdy
Huge thanks! I also just emailed Thursday Customs to ask if they would sell just the port or tell me where they got it. I will post more as soon as they reply. Can't blame you for being tired, it's 9:15 here. I may not be able to post the response if it comes tomorrow, it's my birthday, so I'll probably be quite busy.

Thanks again,

Synapse

kitsch-bent

Post by kitsch-bent » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:39 am

Synapse wrote:
kitsch-bent wrote:
Synapse wrote:I'll definitely have to look into that. Would any mods to the case be required?

Thanks,

Synapse

Huge thanks! I also just emailed Thursday Customs to ask if they would sell just the port or tell me where they got it. I will post more as soon as they reply. Can't blame you for being tired, it's 9:15 here. I may not be able to post the response if it comes tomorrow, it's my birthday, so I'll probably be quite busy.

Thanks again,

Synapse
they pull them from original consoles, that is the only way to get them currently. we did the USB-Boy together (they did design, I did manufacturing). very familiar with it :) but, china seems to make available different parts from time to time, so perhaps that has changed.

i sell new GBC/MGB style ports, and you could always use an adapter cable I suppose and have the dongle sort of hanging from that. not nearly as elegant a solution though...

TechDante1

Post by TechDante1 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:47 pm

ive seen a few where people have stripped down a wifi dongle and solder it sright to the board. maybe you could so this