Wifi dongle setup on Gameboy Zero running Retropie using Raspberry Pi Zero

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
sniperwolfjs1

Wifi dongle setup on Gameboy Zero running Retropie using Raspberry Pi Zero

Post by sniperwolfjs1 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:28 pm

Hello everybody. Looking in trying to setup wifi on my GBZ running retropie using the raspberry pi zero. I tried a few different ways and they didn't help out. Can someone help guide me in the right direction. Thanks

Camble

Re: Wifi dongle setup on Gameboy Zero running Retropie using Raspberry Pi Zero

Post by Camble » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:28 am

What, specifically, are you having trouble with?

sniperwolfjs1

Post by sniperwolfjs1 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:25 am

Camble wrote:What, specifically, are you having trouble with?
I setup dongle with my laptop and it picked up my wifi, then tried it in my GBZ. I have the dongle in one usb port and keyboard in the other usb. Powered it up and it lit up and stayed on. I went to wifi in the retropie app. Used the keyboard to navigate. No wifi is on the list and wifi dongle is no longer lit up. Am I doing somthing wrong? I move the dongle to the other usb port and does the same thing. I move dongle to laptop and even tried it on my tablet via micro usb to otg and they both pulled up my wifi signal. Thanks

hueblo

Post by hueblo » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:17 pm

I'm having the exact same issue. Using helder's all in one.

sniperwolfjs1

Post by sniperwolfjs1 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:29 am

I did mine about as close to Wermy's build on the button pcb. I hope someone can shed some light on this issue. Thanks

jeffy1021

Post by jeffy1021 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:32 pm

It might be a power issue where the keyboard, wifi dongle, and helder's AIO board are drawing too much power? When I configured wifi, I connected only the keyboard to the pi and used method 3 shown in the link below to manually enter in my wifi network details in a config file.

https://github.com/retropie/retropie-setup/wiki/Wifi

Code: Select all

sudo nano /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

#For a WPA protected SSID
network={
    ssid="testing"
    psk="testingPassword"
}
After saving the config file, I rebooted the pi and unplugged the keyboard and plugged in the wifi dongle. That worked for me as the pi connected to my home wifi network. Once you have wifi connection, you can always SSH to the pi if you need console access.

sniperwolfjs1

Post by sniperwolfjs1 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:04 pm

jeffy1021 wrote:It might be a power issue where the keyboard, wifi dongle, and helder's AIO board are drawing too much power? When I configured wifi, I connected only the keyboard to the pi and used method 3 shown in the link below to manually enter in my wifi network details in a config file.

network={
    ssid="testing"
    psk="testingPassword"
}
After saving the config file, I rebooted the pi and unplugged the keyboard and plugged in the wifi dongle. That worked for me as the pi connected to my home wifi network. Once you have wifi connection, you can always SSH to the pi if you need console access.
I'm going to give this a try. Thanks

hueblo

Post by hueblo » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:46 pm

jeffy1021 wrote:It might be a power issue where the keyboard, wifi dongle, and helder's AIO board are drawing too much power? When I configured wifi, I connected only the keyboard to the pi and used method 3 shown in the link below to manually enter in my wifi network details in a config file.

network={
    ssid="testing"
    psk="testingPassword"
}
I tried this solution but I have the same issue. The wifi led stays on but no wifi. Double checked the file and the info is saved. :(

jeffy1021

Post by jeffy1021 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:09 am

hueblo wrote:

network={
    ssid="testing"
    psk="testingPassword"
}
I tried this solution but I have the same issue. The wifi led stays on but no wifi. Double checked the file and the info is saved. :(
After installing the aio board my wifi no longer works either. It was definitely working before I got the aio. I tried plugging in a flash drive but that does not work either, but when I plug in a usb keyboard that works ok. I wonder if everythingything is drawing too much power? The next thing I will try is powering the usb port using a separate 5v supply instead pulling from the powerboost.

Any ideas @helder?

hueblo

Post by hueblo » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:35 am

hey @jeffy1021

I found this solution online I'm going to try tonight. It's just for the wireless issue unfortunately. I'll let you know if it worked for me.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 16#p494216