All in One PCB Support Thread

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Re: All in One PCB Support Thread

Post by Helder » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:57 pm

What screen are you using on the other pi? Do you have another power supply to try on the build? Maybe try one of the other 2 usb hub ports on the board.

You said it works in kodi in another pi but have you tried it on that same pi with RetroPie?

Trying to figure where the fault might be.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

hueblo

Post by hueblo » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:01 am

Helder wrote:What screen are you using on the other pi? Do you have another power supply to try on the build? Maybe try one of the other 2 usb hub ports on the board.

You said it works in kodi in another pi but have you tried it on that same pi with RetroPie?

Trying to figure where the fault might be.
The only other screen I have tested it with is my hdmi computer monitor with the same results. I did make a 2nd usb connector on a second port to use the keyboard and the wifi at the same time, the keyboard works with both usb ports and the wifi has the same issue on both usb ports. I do have a 2nd 1000c but i received my current working one to replace it since it won't detect the battery. I did use the 2nd 1000c to power the AIO separately but the wifi still behaves the same. On the bright side I did charge the battery and was able to run the adafruit monitor, pi0 and the all in one but the wireless still has the same issue. Weird that it works with retropie on the same pi0 with an external usb hub but not the all in one usb hub.

Edit: I guess I do not really need wifi, I will order a Bluetooth adapter and test it. I will need that when use BT controllers.

I also found this solution posted below that I will try, the symptoms are not exactly the same but I can give it a try. Hope this also helps anyone else having a similar problem.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 2&p=495495

PotaTox

Post by PotaTox » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:58 am

hueblo wrote:Edit: I guess I do not really need wifi, I will order a Bluetooth adapter and test it. I will need that when use BT controllers.
Please, dont give up. When I first started planning, I hadn't played around with retropie, and underestimated the importance of wifi.

So, the only other thing it could be is the all in one hub, or the cable connections to pad 22 and 23 (probably unlikely). Can you share the model of your USB wifi adapter, and any schematics of it you can? Maybe Helder can figure something out.

However, you do have 1 more option: Double up the hubs.
Since we know that your USB wifi works on one hub, what if you wired up that hub to the Raspberry Pi, and then wired the all in one and wifi card to that usb hub? You would also then have 5 (plus the one external USB, so 6 :shock:) extra USB connections. It will use more space, but it's the way that Wermy (and me, since I ordered the one without the hub) has to do it.

hueblo

Post by hueblo » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:37 am

PotaTox wrote:
hueblo wrote:Edit: I guess I do not really need wifi, I will order a Bluetooth adapter and test it. I will need that when use BT controllers.
Please, dont give up. When I first started planning, I hadn't played around with retropie, and underestimated the importance of wifi.

So, the only other thing it could be is the all in one hub, or the cable connections to pad 22 and 23 (probably unlikely). Can you share the model of your USB wifi adapter, and any schematics of it you can? Maybe Helder can figure something out.

Since we know that your USB wifi works on one hub, what if you wired up that hub to the Raspberry Pi, and then wired the all in one and wifi card to that usb hub? You would also then have 5 (plus the one external USB, so 6 :shock:) extra USB connections. It will use more space, but it's the way that Wermy (and me, since I ordered the one without the hub) has to do it.
I did think about doing that and just not use the usb on the all in one, if it works this way I will be happy if i get the audio to work :D . I'm going to try the solution I just found. @jeffy1021 is having similar issues under the thread below.

http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 706#p12706

jeffy1021

Post by jeffy1021 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:54 am

hueblo wrote:
PotaTox wrote:

I did think about doing that and just not use the usb on the all in one, if it works this way I will be happy if i get the audio to work :D . I'm going to try the solution I just found. @jeffy1021 is having similar issues under the thread below.

http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 706#p12706
I considered adding an additional USB hub as well, but I rather save the space. Worst case I can stick the SD card in another pi zero to load up all my ROMs. I don't have very many ROMs anyways so I don't anticipate doing this too often. Plus, the way I am mounting my pi zero, I have access to the SD card from outside the case.

hueblo

Post by hueblo » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:28 am

Hey @helder I do agree with you, I believe its a software issue. I tried the solution I posted and it did not work, the command lsusb does list Edimax but when bypassing the gamepad setup and trying to hook up wifi through command line the Edimax wifi card had the same issue (blue LED is always on and it will not find any networks). I have two external USB hubs, one is the same 4 port Targus USB hub from wermy's build and the 2nd is a 4 port Gearhead USB (model UH4250MAC). When using the Targus USB hub connected directly to the pi0 the Edimax wifi card displays the same symptom but when used with the Gearhead USB hub it works perfectly. Both USB hubs did not have any kind of external power, the Targus does not have the option for it. I took the opportunity to update all the modules for retropie through the command line setup and after the update the Targus USB hub now worked with the Edimax. I hooked up the Edimax to the AIO hopping the update would have fixed the issue but it still had the same problem. Is it a possible its some kind of driver issue for the AIO?

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:36 am

hueblo wrote:Hey @helder I do agree with you, I believe its a software issue. I tried the solution I posted and it did not work, the command lsusb does list Edimax but when bypassing the gamepad setup and trying to hook up wifi through command line the Edimax wifi card had the same issue (blue LED is always on and it will not find any networks). I have two external USB hubs, one is the same 4 port Targus USB hub from wermy's build and the 2nd is a 4 port Gearhead USB (model UH4250MAC). When using the Targus USB hub connected directly to the pi0 the Edimax wifi card displays the same symptom but when used with the Gearhead USB hub it works perfectly. Both USB hubs did not have any kind of external power, the Targus does not have the option for it. I took the opportunity to update all the modules for retropie through the command line setup and after the update the Targus USB hub now worked with the Edimax. I hooked up the Edimax to the AIO hopping the update would have fixed the issue but it still had the same problem. Is it a possible its some kind of driver issue for the AIO?
Any way you can look at the chips inside the 2 hubs? maybe someone who can compile retro pie could add support for the chip used in the AIO even though it has been said to be the same one as it's used in the Targus but it's best to check.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

hueblo

Post by hueblo » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:40 am

Helder wrote:
hueblo wrote:Hey @helder I do agree with you, I believe its a software issue. I tried the solution I posted and it did not work, the command lsusb does list Edimax but when bypassing the gamepad setup and trying to hook up wifi through command line the Edimax wifi card had the same issue (blue LED is always on and it will not find any networks). I have two external USB hubs, one is the same 4 port Targus USB hub from wermy's build and the 2nd is a 4 port Gearhead USB (model UH4250MAC). When using the Targus USB hub connected directly to the pi0 the Edimax wifi card displays the same symptom but when used with the Gearhead USB hub it works perfectly. Both USB hubs did not have any kind of external power, the Targus does not have the option for it. I took the opportunity to update all the modules for retropie through the command line setup and after the update the Targus USB hub now worked with the Edimax. I hooked up the Edimax to the AIO hopping the update would have fixed the issue but it still had the same problem. Is it a possible its some kind of driver issue for the AIO?
Any way you can look at the chips inside the 2 hubs? maybe someone who can compile retro pie could add support for the chip used in the AIO even though it has been said to be the same one as it's used in the Targus but it's best to check.
I"m willing to open the Targus USB hub up, the Gearhead is borrowed unfortunately. I will post the info tonight. Either way I will move on with the build and will plan to integrate the Targus just in case. Hopefully the AIO will work when going through the Targus to the pi0, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

hueblo

Post by hueblo » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:46 pm

One step forward four steps backwards. I can't seem to get the AIO to work, hooked up audio again and now it's intermittently detected. Today was such a waste of time. I have to take a break for a while or I'm going to go nuts.

HoolyHoo

Post by HoolyHoo » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:05 pm

Helder wrote:
hueblo wrote:Hello @helder

If that post was meant for me I followed a3k4's template right before the 2.4 update. I have the AIO's negative and possitive hooked up through a bread board to the powerboost 1000C, the LCD and the pi0 are also hooked the same way. The D+ is hooked up to PP22 and D- is hooked up to PP23 of the pi0. Both the LCD and pi0 power up with no problem. I also tested the power to the AIO and did see 5V including the other USB ports. Like I said before it did work a few times and I was able to program the buttons through retropie but after hooking up the USB connector I made it started to have this detect issue. Any suggestions? Also can you confirm the wiring based on the images I provided as far is the D+/D- goes.
If the pi is recognizing the AIO board for controls it should be correct then for the D+ and D- . I have been talking about this over on the Discord channel and it seems like my board requires around 600-700mA if it's fully loaded with 3 usb devices which it isn't in your case so maybe show me pictures of the complete setup you have on the breadboard and what else you have powered.

We figured with the Gearbest screen and Pi Zero and my board it should take around 1-1.2A (with 3 usb devices) which is less than the 2A the powerboost supplies, maybe I'm wrong here but that seems to fit the bill in numbers.
@helder from reading the Adafruit website and forums, It is my understanding that the Powerboost 1000c can only supply 1amp of output current. Do you see this to be an issue with your estimation needing up to 1.2 amps?