Thanos GB Zero build

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
Fleder

Re: Thanos GB Zero build

Post by Fleder » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:36 am

vnman wrote:The driver board is a little too big to fit in my Non-OEM case (1mm too big on either side). Wonder if I can trim it :?

I removed the on/off switch on this and extend it, now the switch can sit where it is supposed to.
I had the same problem and carefully, with the help of a flashlight (to see the traces) and a dremel, grinded down the board of the display and the case itself a bit.

ill-tempered

Post by ill-tempered » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:03 pm

Just found a screen like yours off AliExpress for €30 with the mobile deal:
New Surveillance Audio Video Input 3.5" TFT Color LED Portable Test Monitor CCTV Camera Security Tester
http://s.aliexpress.com/ZJJBfAZ3
I bit the bullet. Pasting it here for anyone interested.

tronicgr

Post by tronicgr » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:47 pm

ill-tempered wrote:Just found a screen like yours off AliExpress for €30 with the mobile deal:
New Surveillance Audio Video Input 3.5" TFT Color LED Portable Test Monitor CCTV Camera Security Tester
http://s.aliexpress.com/ZJJBfAZ3
I bit the bullet. Pasting it here for anyone interested.
Thanks for the link. It would be useful for people out of the USA.
The one on Ebay I got, was very close to me (Item location:La Puente, California, United States) 8-)

Thanks
Thanos

ill-tempered

Post by ill-tempered » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:15 pm

Sorry but was wondering whether you could answer a couple of questions I have with regards to the security monitor:
  • is the LCD connected via a 40 pin connector - can this be removed and maybe an extender added?
    If yes I was thinking of roatating the board 90 degrees - the switch would then be in the exact position
    Have you tried routing the Pi audio directly through the board's AV input to see whether this can be used for the sound too?
Thanks in advance. Mine is shipped but while waiting I was looking at other components I could buy. I probably will not do a DMG-01 conversion, but 3D print a case for it.

Jakov

tronicgr

Post by tronicgr » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:31 pm

ill-tempered wrote:Sorry but was wondering whether you could answer a couple of questions I have with regards to the security monitor:
  • is the LCD connected via a 40 pin connector - can this be removed and maybe an extender added?
    If yes I was thinking of roatating the board 90 degrees - the switch would then be in the exact position
    Have you tried routing the Pi audio directly through the board's AV input to see whether this can be used for the sound too?
Thanks in advance. Mine is shipped but while waiting I was looking at other components I could buy. I probably will not do a DMG-01 conversion, but 3D print a case for it.

Jakov
Yes, the screen is using a 40 pin connector.

I tried the Pi-Audio (PWM) directly in the audio input of the security camera and it works. But it was TOO LOUD for my needs so I went by using I2S digital sound where I can control the volume.

I think 3D printed case would be better for this too. Its a little tight fit for DMG-01, I had to trim lots of supports inside to fit it.

I just got a 3D printer, so I might now print case to my needs as well. I will be using a higher resolution screen though and Raspberry Pi2:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/282105673558?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

Thanks
Thanos

ill-tempered

Post by ill-tempered » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:28 pm

tronicgr wrote:
ill-tempered wrote:Sorry but was wondering whether you could answer a couple of questions I have with regards to the security monitor:

Jakov
Yes, the screen is using a 40 pin connector.

I tried the Pi-Audio (PWM) directly in the audio input of the security camera and it works. But it was TOO LOUD for my needs so I went by using I2S digital sound where I can control the volume.

I think 3D printed case would be better for this too. Its a little tight fit for DMG-01, I had to trim lots of supports inside to fit it.

I just got a 3D printer, so I might now print case to my needs as well. I will be using a higher resolution screen though and Raspberry Pi2:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/282105673558?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

Thanks
Thanos
Thanks for your answers. I saw that screen and was waiting for some more feedback about it before buying. Will definitely look into it for a future project I'm thinking about.

ill-tempered

Post by ill-tempered » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:20 am

Security monitor arrived. Opened it up and attached video to the pi through the usb type plug at the top. Whilst all connected to a separate power supply, everything works well.

Tried to connect the pi to the 5v source I found on the board and the pi keeps restarting and something is emitting a hum. Did you have this issue @Thanos

tronicgr

Post by tronicgr » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:00 am

ill-tempered wrote:Security monitor arrived. Opened it up and attached video to the pi through the usb type plug at the top. Whilst all connected to a separate power supply, everything works well.

Tried to connect the pi to the 5v source I found on the board and the pi keeps restarting and something is emitting a hum. Did you have this issue @Thanos
I've seen this issue first time I tried to power it up using the included battery only. It went away when I fully charged it. But it was still happening when the battery was low.

So I replaced the single battery with a 4400mA pack that could handle better the power surges during boot, and better handling the low battery situation. I can now see the low battery indication on the screen and it will still keep running, so I can safely shut it down in time.

Thanks
Thanos

ill-tempered

Post by ill-tempered » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:25 pm

tronicgr wrote: I've seen this issue first time I tried to power it up using the included battery only. It went away when I fully charged it. But it was still happening when the battery was low.

So I replaced the single battery with a 4400mA pack that could handle better the power surges during boot, and better handling the low battery situation. I can now see the low battery indication on the screen and it will still keep running, so I can safely shut it down in time.

Thanks
Thanos
Many thanks.

I've tried attaching both to a battery pack, though a USB hub and it booted with no issues. Might end up powering both through this instead and see how long that will last. Battery pack has a single 18650 cell which is the same as in the unit but this worked vs the battery contained in the unit.

Will continue exploring