Pi in a PSP

Hardware-related questions that don't fit into any of the specialized hardware categories go here.
Chedda

Re: Pi in a PSP

Post by Chedda » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:31 pm

I have to remove the audio/video jack still. The HDMI is staying for my Gameboy build. I have another one that can be used for the cause.
Builder and tinkerer

othermod

Post by othermod » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:07 pm

Ok guys. Substantial update time.

This really got out of hand. I was just going to make a board to connect with the FPC cables, and it turned into an all-in-one. The only thing not included is the audio filter. If I get the filter circuit finished in the next couple days I'll include it. Everything else is routed, but wires have not been resized and the ground plane hasn't been done yet. Gonna add a couple capacitors too.

I've got a little test fitting to do still. Does anyone have a better method than just printing it and cutting it out? I was thinking card stock might work better.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:51 pm

Question for you, why did you put components on the back when you have plenty of space on the front?

Card stock is a good method or if you have a 3D printer you can print the board shape.

Have you uploaded the schematic and board file somewhere?
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

othermod

Post by othermod » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:27 am

Helder wrote:Question for you, why did you put components on the back when you have plenty of space on the front?
Card stock is a good method or if you have a 3D printer you can print the board shape.
I put them on the back while I was determining which GPIO to route to which function. It was a massive mess when I first started, and it made the process easier for me. I didn't keep them there for any particular reason. It wouldn't be hard to change if you have a concern over using both sides.
I wish I had a 3D printer. Card stock it is.
I've got the whole Eagle folder copied here, and everyone has read/write access
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:54 am

othermod wrote:
Helder wrote:Question for you, why did you put components on the back when you have plenty of space on the front?
I put them on the back while I was determining which GPIO to route to which function. It was a massive mess when I first started, and it made the process easier for me. I didn't keep them there for any particular reason. It wouldn't be hard to change if you have a concern over using both sides.
I wish I had a 3D printer. Card stock it is.
I've got the whole Eagle folder copied here, and everyone has read/write access
Fixed some things wrong with the board and moved everything up to the top except the GND in and 5V and Battery pads. There were errors using the OshPark DRU (Design Rule Check) and since I'm assuming you plan to use that site to make some test boards it's been fixed to be properly fabricated by them.

Here is the link to the updated files and I also added GND plane to both the top and bottom of the board. I didn't do too much from how you had it but it should work out fine now.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/d5vfba9za ... PSP_Pi.zip

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

othermod

Post by othermod » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:28 am

@Helder Thank you, I seriously appreciate the help. That GND plane makes all the difference. I've got some finishing touches to make after work today, and I hope to start the process of getting it made in the next couple days. Would you mind taking one last peek at it after I'm finished?

Chedda

Post by Chedda » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:31 pm

Instead of using the GPIO for all the connections, it looks like there is some room for a usb hub and a teensy to be built in. This way you have 4 wires coming out of it instead of 13 wires. If this is going to be a clip and solder onto the pi, I'll shut up.
Builder and tinkerer

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:20 pm

There is actually a ftdi UART to Usb chip that can be used for a second usb connector with the serial connection. This way you have 2 options for usb instead of a hub because the PSP doesn't really have any place in the shell for a full size USB so it defeats the purpose of a hub in my opinion.

I can have a look again at the files once you've made whatever changes you plan to do.

othermod

Post by othermod » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:51 pm

@Helder
I did a complete redesign to knock the cost down, and I added the audio filter. Audio and USB connections are on the bottom so they can be soldered after the board is installed. I know that most of the USB connector is located off the board. That had to be done to get it into the right position. I downloaded and ran Oshpark's design rule and already corrected all the issues it found. I'm just hoping you can give this a quick look in case I missed something.

Also, I'm going to panelize it before I submit to oshpark.
Last edited by othermod on Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chedda

Post by Chedda » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:49 pm

Nvm... I had a derp moment and zoomed in on the phone.
Builder and tinkerer