Raspberry Pi 3 Power Supply Issues.

Hardware-related questions that don't fit into any of the specialized hardware categories go here.
LarsH.

Raspberry Pi 3 Power Supply Issues.

Post by LarsH. » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:34 am

Hi Guys,

I have some trouble with my Raspberry Pi 3 Project, i m working on the power supply (i am a noob :roll: ). I following Wermys video guide but im using an Raspberry Pi 3 instant of an Raspberry pi Zero, maybe that's the problem :lol:. My pi is starting perfect but i have this rainbow box in the upper right corner. even when i use mini usb with 5v and 2500 mah direct on the pi. I searched for it and find this. https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 77#p589877. did anybody now how to fix that )?. I have some trouble with my Game pad too :|. It wont be detected and i don`t now why maybe its too a power problem ?.

i take some Photos
DSC_0412.JPG
DSC_0412.JPG (2.98 MiB) Viewed 10481 times
DSC_0411.JPG
DSC_0411.JPG (1.15 MiB) Viewed 10481 times
DSC_0410 - Kopie.JPG
DSC_0410 - Kopie.JPG (1.82 MiB) Viewed 10481 times
DSC_0409.JPG
DSC_0409.JPG (3.46 MiB) Viewed 10481 times
Sorry for my stupid english, im from Germany ! :)
Sorry for my stupid english, im from Germany :roll:

HoolyHoo

Re: Raspberry Pi 3 Power Supply Issues.

Post by HoolyHoo » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:59 am

The rainbow square means your pi is being underpowered. The way you have it connected with the Powerboost I don't think it can provide enough current for a pi 3, especially with something connected to the usb.

ABH

Post by ABH » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:22 am

ummm
i faced this problem was due to Powerboost .
after i change the powerbosst it's working good
i don't know why ? it was new

LarsH.

Post by LarsH. » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:28 am

i even get the Rainbow when i have nothing connected to the usb ports, i even get i when i plug the mini USB direct into the pi. that's my Power boost https://www.adafruit.com/products/2465.
I am using this battery https://www.adafruit.com/product/328 that only have 3,7V but the power boost should convert it up to 5,2V.
PowerBoost 1000C is the perfect power supply for your portable project! With a built-in load-sharing battery charger circuit, you'll be able to keep your power-hungry project running even while recharging the battery! This little DC/DC boost converter module can be powered by any 3.7V LiIon/LiPoly battery, and convert the battery output to 5.2V DC for running your 5V projects.
But the pi doesn't start when i plug out the mini Usb from the power boost :?

EDIT1:
ummm
did you ordered a new one ? (the same as before) or form another brand/publisher ?

ABH

Post by ABH » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:34 am

LarsH. wrote:i even get the Rainbow when i have nothing connected to the usb ports, i even get i when i plug the mini USB direct into the pi. that's my Power boost https://www.adafruit.com/products/2465.
I am using this battery https://www.adafruit.com/product/328 that only have 3,7V but the power boost should convert it up to 5,2V.
PowerBoost 1000C is the perfect power supply for your portable project! With a built-in load-sharing battery charger circuit, you'll be able to keep your power-hungry project running even while recharging the battery! This little DC/DC boost converter module can be powered by any 3.7V LiIon/LiPoly battery, and convert the battery output to 5.2V DC for running your 5V projects.
But the pi doesn't start when i plug out the mini Usb from the power boost :?

EDIT1:
ummm
did you ordered a new one ? (the same as before) or form another brand/publisher ?
same as before but i ordered from amazon .

Zero

Post by Zero » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:01 am

I think you will always have the rainbow box unless you're using close to a 2.5amp power supply. The official power supply for a pi3 is rated at 2.5amp and the powerboost is 1.8amp max I think. :?: If everything is working fine, a rainbow coloured box on boot up isn't a big problem, looks pretty. :D

LarsH.

Post by LarsH. » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:12 am

its not only at the boot, its always there :D. i found an 2.8 amp charger, even with that i haved rainbow box when it boots :lol: but its disappear when Emulation Station is loaded :). The biggest problem i have at the moment is, the pi don't start when i want to power it with the power boost and the battery alone (only when the charger ist plugged in the powerboost ist boot with out problem (still with rainbow box at the boot.)). Did i need to buy a battery with more power ? :?

HoolyHoo

Post by HoolyHoo » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:23 am

LarsH. wrote:its not only at the boot, its always there :D. i found an 2.8 amp charger, even with that i haved rainbow box when it boots :lol: but its disappear when Emulation Station is loaded :). The biggest problem i have at the moment is, the pi don't start when i want to power it with the power boost and the battery alone (only when the charger ist plugged in the powerboost ist boot with out problem (still with rainbow box at the boot.)). Did i need to buy a battery with more power ? :?
Your problem is not voltage it is amperage. The pi 3 requires officially 2.5 amp. The powerboost with the battery if i'm not mistaken will only allow about a 1.8 amp draw, thus your problem.

LarsH.

Post by LarsH. » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:33 am

How could i fix thath ?, i don't find another power boost with more amp :(

HoolyHoo

Post by HoolyHoo » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:38 am

Not sure to be honest. Pi 3 will run under 2.5 but you will see that rainbow square when it is and could be unstable. You said your getting the square even when you plug it your wall adapter directly? If so, start with checking that. Sometimes, when you have a cheap one, they may say they are rated for 2.5 or whatever, but they are not.