PWM Audio wiring help!

Hardware-related questions that don't fit into any of the specialized hardware categories go here.
Deramin

PWM Audio wiring help!

Post by Deramin » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:51 pm

Hey all. So I have all the parts I need for my project (assuming I have not forgotten anything) and I am starting to wire things up and test them.

One of the first things I am going to do up is the audio.

I am using the mono Adafruit amplifier https://www.adafruit.com/product/2130
And I have it connected to the DMG speaker and a mono headphone jack.

I purchased the Kitsch-bent easy pwm audio. http://store.kitsch-bent.com/product/easy_pwm_audio
and I am having trouble figuring out where it connect to. I mean I know it pwm connect to the pi zero but where does it connect to the amp? Does it connect to the amp? Am I missing something?

Thanks for your help :P and expect a lot of these in the near future, I wanna get this done! :)

Deramin

Re: PWM Audio wiring help!

Post by Deramin » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:43 am

Okay so for reference here is a pic. The yellow and orange wires coming out of the audio amp are A+ and A- I am just wondering where they connect too? I assume Left and right on the kitsch-bent pwm audio but im not 100% sure.

Thanks for your help guys!
Attachments
IMG_20161029_092837.jpg
IMG_20161029_092837.jpg (2.16 MiB) Viewed 6026 times

mike_louisxvi

Post by mike_louisxvi » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:01 pm

Have you figured this out? I just bought the kitsch bent audio in lieu of creating my own low pass filter, and I would like to be sure about how to wire it too.

mike_louisxvi

Post by mike_louisxvi » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:10 pm

Deramin wrote:Okay so for reference here is a pic. The yellow and orange wires coming out of the audio amp are A+ and A- I am just wondering where they connect too? I assume Left and right on the kitsch-bent pwm audio but im not 100% sure.

Thanks for your help guys!

I'm not sure if you ever figured this out, but I am working with the same filter board and amp. From the guide videos I understand the A+ to be the input, and the A- to be the output. I came to the conclusion that perhaps the A+ goes into the Right Out on the volume wheel, and the A- goes to the ground on the volume wheel.

I am thinking the ground between LEFT and RIGHT on the filter goes to the ground on the wheel also, and the RIGHT goes into the Right In on the volume wheel (if you are wiring it for right side mono sound, like in the video). The ground on the other side between PWM0 and PWM1 goes to the GPIO pins on the Pi and the PWM1 (i assume that is input?) goes to the GPIO on the Pi as well.

I am really not sure if I am correct with any of this, I just substituted the low pass filter Wermy made in the video for this filter and used my best logic.

Deramin

Post by Deramin » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:51 pm

Hey, Yes I infact think I have figured this out was going to test it sometime soon.

After watching wermys original video guide part 5 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZBYOqfhCSo)

He starts talking about audio around 11 mins. From what I understand you have the Pi and the kitsch-bent PWM audio connected via GPiO ports . Then you have the potentiometer connected to the PWM filter (left right and ground) then also from the potentiometer to the Ada fruit Amp, then the whole speaker headphone assembly.

Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong and ill get back to you guys when I test it out :P