Do you plan to fit an analog stick?

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
Muon

Do you plan to fit an analog stick?

Post by Muon » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:06 pm

Just wondering how many people are planning on fitting an analog stick? I love graphic adventures, so i'd love to fit one for use with scummvm. Not sure what type would be best for this purpose though. Can anyone suggest a suitable one? Thanks for any help offered. :)

Francis

Re: Do you plan to fit an analog stick?

Post by Francis » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:15 pm

There has been some discussion on this thread:
http://sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=243

I'm waiting to get that board on my work desk before choosing a thumbstick.

Ganreizu

Post by Ganreizu » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:13 pm

Not enough games use it to justify the work, so no.

sotasystems

Post by sotasystems » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:02 am

Muon wrote:Just wondering how many people are planning on fitting an analog stick? I love graphic adventures, so i'd love to fit one for use with scummvm. Not sure what type would be best for this purpose though. Can anyone suggest a suitable one? Thanks for any help offered. :)
I put in 2 in my build :)
I did because I personaly wanted to because I am used to playing Nintendo 64 games with 2 analog sticks, and so far I have been really happy playing with 2.
Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to inform you that I am currently moving very far away, and therefore I am very busy.

UPDATE: I am still alive! My ISP is setting up my internet on the 19th of January at my new place, explaining my offline-ness.

If you write me a PM, I will very likely take some time to respond.

Also, my 2nd build will soon go on, so if you've been following it, please stay tuned! :)

Many thanks for your understanding!

sotasystems

Post by sotasystems » Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:10 am

kite wrote:
sotasystems wrote:
Muon wrote:Just wondering how many people are planning on fitting an analog stick? I love graphic adventures, so i'd love to fit one for use with scummvm. Not sure what type would be best for this purpose though. Can anyone suggest a suitable one? Thanks for any help offered. :)
I put in 2 in my build :)
I did because I personaly wanted to because I am used to playing Nintendo 64 games with 2 analog sticks, and so far I have been really happy playing with 2.
What games for n64 use dual? I didn't know that was even possible?
Well, using one as the main control stick, and the other one as C-Stick like a nintendo gamecube controller:

Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to inform you that I am currently moving very far away, and therefore I am very busy.

UPDATE: I am still alive! My ISP is setting up my internet on the 19th of January at my new place, explaining my offline-ness.

If you write me a PM, I will very likely take some time to respond.

Also, my 2nd build will soon go on, so if you've been following it, please stay tuned! :)

Many thanks for your understanding!

Muon

Post by Muon » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:33 am

Thanks for the replies guys :)
Ganreizu wrote:Not enough games use it to justify the work, so no.
Well, for me personally, I would fit it for use with ScummVM on RetroPi, which supports over 200 graphic adventures. Having that available would be fantastic. Although I would take advantage of it for N64 games too of course! :)
I want to get it right though and choose a good one that's easy and comfortable for long relaxed periods of playing.

Check out the extensive list of ScummVM supported graphic adventure games here :-
http://www.scummvm.org/compatibility/
sotasystems wrote:I put in 2 in my build :)
Awesome build! Yours and Kite's have been kinda inspirational for deciding to add an analog stick myself. I've since purchased a raspberry pi 3 and all the kit I'll need to (hopefully) safely disassemble it. I'm still kinda psyching myself up for that. I plan to use it with Kite's board to make the build as smooth as I can. I want to get it right. :)

Billy Blaze

Post by Billy Blaze » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:48 pm

Muon wrote:Just wondering how many people are planning on fitting an analog stick? I love graphic adventures, so i'd love to fit one for use with scummvm.
Oh yeah!
I'm a big fan of those good old LucasArts Point&Click Adventures as well:
  • Sam & Max Hit the Road
  • Maniac Mansion
  • Day of the Tentacle
  • Loom
  • Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
just to name a few of my personal highlights.
so I'm looking forward to see which specific modding decisions you are up to... cause I'm actually planing to implement a similar workaround myself. My idea is to "hide" an analog stick or even a trackball just on the backside of the GBZ build. should be manageable even though I'm not quite sure which and how many difficulties might arising from this very idea. but I'd love to have the front side as clean as possible. to keep an aesthetic balance, if you wish.

fcib

Post by fcib » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:39 pm

Well, the few PS1 games that I play (crash bandicoot ofc) don't really need an analog stick. I would include one for n64, but I would need a pi3 for that anyway.

Muon

Post by Muon » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:27 am

Billy Blaze wrote:
Muon wrote:Just wondering how many people are planning on fitting an analog stick? I love graphic adventures, so i'd love to fit one for use with scummvm.
Oh yeah!
I'm a big fan of those good old LucasArts Point&Click Adventures as well:
  • Sam & Max Hit the Road
  • Maniac Mansion
  • Day of the Tentacle
  • Loom
  • Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Top list! Loom and Day of the Tentacle were amazing. The Dig is also very good if you haven't played that. I noticed that Retropie provides some support for Adventure Game Studio too, which opens up supports for tons of community created adventures too! :)

I agree with wanting to keep the front of the GBZ as tidy as possible, tricky tho. I've purchased a PSP stick, but I would prefer a white 3ds circle stick, no idea how to fit those tho. :/ I did see a thread using a tiny trackball from a blackberry.

Billy Blaze

Post by Billy Blaze » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:53 am

thanx for the advice, I think I know now which game to Dig into next time as soon as my GBZ is finished...
can you recommend a specific Adventure Game Studio title as well, please.
if you haven't yet try Sam&Max Hit the Road. This game is nuts and so iconic at the same time. If you like the Tentacle you'll need to go with this one!

concerning the analog stick: this is what you've mentioned, right?!
dezent wrote:[...] using the D-pad in ScummVM is just pain, that was the reason for implementing a blackberry trackball [...] [which] works fine just a bit "unsmooth", but much better than D-pad controlls.
[spoiler="blackberry trackball image"]Image
original post can be found here: http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1733[/spoiler]
but I'm not yet convinced with this solution. Don't know how smooth it works and how it could fit with a certain look and feel I do have in mind. but it is indeed a notable and very interesting idea, especially when it comes to the usage of ScummVM.
the PSP stick you bought might be an interesting solution as well. the following image shows a two-button-on-the-backside solution for L&R buttons. instead of those buttons a PSP stick (or 3DS) could get implemented somehow... don't you think?!
[spoiler="buttons on the backside image, orig. by WoodMill"]Image original post can be found here: http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 783#p19717[/spoiler]