pulling my hair out with my usb hub.........

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
Lpoolm

pulling my hair out with my usb hub.........

Post by Lpoolm » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:31 pm

so i have completed a build with the below usb hub
http://sudomod.com/wiki/index.php?title ... SB_2.0_HUB (banggood one)
and it worked as it should.

i have since bought two more for more builds and i can get neither of them to work now? the blue light comes on so its getting power, i have taken wires off, resoldered started over and over tried different pi zeros and still it does not recognise a keyboard (or anything else) when attached?

i am currently downloading the latest version of retropie just incase its a software issue but doubt it.

any ideas would be great... please :(
Check out my modding and repair channel of retro and modern consoles:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFz7yW ... GtQ/videos

Camble

Re: pulling my hair out with my usb hub.........

Post by Camble » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:48 pm

Double check you haven't shorted PP23 to ground when soldering to the Pi.

fcib

Post by fcib » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:52 pm

1. Check wiring

2. Post pictures

3. Check this thread http://sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1345

Lpoolm

Post by Lpoolm » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:16 am

thanks for the replies, i have cleaned around the usb pads and taken photos to zoom in can not see anything touching?
also i did see that thread on usb issues. had read it but not tried, have now tried but still no joy.
a few pics attached below, i would love it to be a glaring mistake i have made but just can not see it? green/white goes to usb pads on pi, red black go to power on pi or power strip?
please someone tell me ive been stupid and missed something obvious........... ;)
Attachments
20161126_092649.jpg
20161126_092649.jpg (4.14 MiB) Viewed 8261 times
20161126_083437.jpg
20161126_083437.jpg (3.06 MiB) Viewed 8261 times

peoplesbeer

Post by peoplesbeer » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:19 pm

I'm having the same problem and I've tried most of the things people are mentioning in similar threads.
Also, I've tried using an OTG usb cable directly to the Pi with both keyboard (did not work) and microcontroller (did not work) so the thread with a "possible solution" should be useless for me.
Measured all possible pads throughout the path and every single bit is getting 4-5V (do not remember exact numbers) so my guess would be that something is wrong with the Pi's USB pads and ordered new Zeros which I'm still waiting to arrive.
This is really annoying since it puts the build to a stop completely. Really don't want to fix other parts on it before this is solved...

Note: this problem existed before I even added the USB hub and I've tried to narrow it down as much as possible.

Rewired44

Post by Rewired44 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:38 pm

Be very careful when desoldering the usb sockets from the hub. I found that with the cheap ebay hubs its very easy to pull the solder pads off with too much heat or pressure. My first hub wasnt working correctly because the pads were damaged and i couldnt solder all the way around the connection. This may not be ur issue but doesnt hurt to check.

JohnnyFYVE

Post by JohnnyFYVE » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:52 pm

I'm stuck here as well guys... I'm waiting for a HUB to arrive that a user has said works fine. I also have a 2nd Raspberry Pi I can test with to see if I get the same issue. Seems like a lot of people are having this issue.

peoplesbeer

Post by peoplesbeer » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:12 am

As for me, this issue occurred even before I added the USB hub and persists WITH the USB hub as well...

Lpoolm

Post by Lpoolm » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:12 am

peoplesbeer wrote:I'm having the same problem and I've tried most of the things people are mentioning in similar threads.
Also, I've tried using an OTG usb cable directly to the Pi with both keyboard (did not work) and microcontroller (did not work) so the thread with a "possible solution" should be useless for me.
Measured all possible pads throughout the path and every single bit is getting 4-5V (do not remember exact numbers) so my guess would be that something is wrong with the Pi's USB pads and ordered new Zeros which I'm still waiting to arrive.
This is really annoying since it puts the build to a stop completely. Really don't want to fix other parts on it before this is solved...

Note: this problem existed before I even added the USB hub and I've tried to narrow it down as much as possible.
unfortunatley one of my pi's has stopped working, comes on than goes off after a few secounds, think it might be a fuse or something..
o well ordered another if the problem persists will just wait for my "kite" board to turn up ;)

ABH

Post by ABH » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:56 pm

Screen Shot 2016-11-27 at 11.43.03 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-11-27 at 11.43.03 PM.png (2.27 MiB) Viewed 8198 times
Is this the order of your wires ?
l l l l