pulling my hair out with my usb hub.........

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
peoplesbeer

Re: pulling my hair out with my usb hub.........

Post by peoplesbeer » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:42 am

Hopefully I get my new Zeros early this week, ordered from PiHut and not sure how long the delivery will take from UK to Sweden (usually quick but you'll never know).

Damn this issue bugs me.. Another weekend with no build because of this. :/

Edit:
Just a thought, as I plug in all my stuff to the USB port on my RPIz, nothing is recognized BUT I have power all the way to the controllers.
I don't know how this stuff works but if I have power throughout the parts, shouldn't it just be a code issue? Or is it still possible for all the stuff having power but not being "booted"?

WoodMill

Post by WoodMill » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:13 am

Sorry if this has been said, but it's worth mentioning again, because this was my issue and never thought it was.

Super-duper clean off your contacts and start again. Take a braided wick, and clean clean clean around the pads, and the mounting holes for the MicroUSB port on the other side of the board. I could have sworn that there were no bridged connections, but sure enough it was. Not the connection between D+ & D-, but between D- and the mounting hole. There must have been a very small trace amount between mine, because USB would not work, and then after I super scrubbed EVERYTHING around it, it started working again after a nice clean re-solder of the cables.
Follow my Youtube Vlog about Filmmaking
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... P0H6UZe1ds

Lpoolm

Post by Lpoolm » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:47 am

ABH wrote:Screen%20Shot%202016-11-27%20at%2011.43.03%20PM.png
Is this the order of your wires ?
l l l l
Yes, black, green, white, red
Check out my modding and repair channel of retro and modern consoles:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFz7yW ... GtQ/videos

Lpoolm

Post by Lpoolm » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:51 am

WoodMill wrote:Sorry if this has been said, but it's worth mentioning again, because this was my issue and never thought it was.

Super-duper clean off your contacts and start again. Take a braided wick, and clean clean clean around the pads, and the mounting holes for the MicroUSB port on the other side of the board. I could have sworn that there were no bridged connections, but sure enough it was. Not the connection between D+ & D-, but between D- and the mounting hole. There must have been a very small trace amount between mine, because USB would not work, and then after I super scrubbed EVERYTHING around it, it started working again after a nice clean re-solder of the cables.
I have tried this, saw this mentioned by someone in another thread but still no joy :(
Check out my modding and repair channel of retro and modern consoles:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFz7yW ... GtQ/videos

Rewired44

Post by Rewired44 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:53 pm

Are you using the same micro sd card as your known working build? If your using a fresh image make sure you format the micro sd in SD Formatter and select the Full Overwrite option. Not formatting my micro sd properly caused my hub to power on but not recognise any devices. Was using retropie images.

peoplesbeer

Post by peoplesbeer » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:57 pm

Still no luck... Bought some soldering wick earlier today and just tried it, removed quite a bit of solder from both PP22 & PP23 and they were silky clean, couldn't feel or see anything that would bridge to the mounting hole. Still, "no gamepad detected".
I tried a regular USB keyboard with an OTG dongle before re-soldering the controller but no, no luck here. Hope my new RPIz arrives by tomorrow.

RxBrad

Post by RxBrad » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:47 am

Have you tried a device other than that encoder PCB? (EDIT: Sorry. You answered that in literally the post above this.)

Your photo of the Teensy / Leonardo had the red light on. I had problems getting mine to work at first, and it turned out that I had programmed it incorrectly.

On the generic Leonardo encoders, a green light should be lit, but only when pressing a button. Solid red light means something is wrong.
Image Image

peoplesbeer

Post by peoplesbeer » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:20 pm

Update:
Got my new Zero, just moved everything over to that one and tada.wav, it SORT OF work! Controller isn't working (just as before) but suddenly a regular keyboard through OTG cable works. Getting there.

Update 2:
Just reflashed the microcontroller with the same sketch as before. And it works, at least plugged to the computer. Gotta do some work, then solder it to the board. Fingers fucking crossed.