Alfie's Game Boy Zero

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
Alfie_T

Alfie's Game Boy Zero

Post by Alfie_T » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:26 am

I at last got around to finishing my Game Boy Zero, I've been using it for a while with no sound. I still haven't fit the volume control or headphone jack but I may not bother with these at all (though i already have the bits).

It looks a bit of a dogs dinner inside but it seems to work fine. Unfortunately I stripped the contacts off the bottom of my Teensy board so I had to make room for the USB cable you can see in the picture below.

I tried a couple of different hubs before i found one that I was happy with and in the end I went for the Broadcom WiFi Adapter and 2 Port USB Hub as it included wi-fi and it works perfectly

The battery is fit inside the Tetris cartridge - I removed the back of the Tetris cartridge to free up a bit of space and I stuck an old plastic card out of my wallet on the back of it!

One thing I did do is snap the USB ports off the Pi Zero to ensure the HDMI connector sat flush with the side of the Game Boy Shell

The back view shows the two tactile switches used for the L & R buttons

A big thank you to wermy and everyone else involved in the project as i wouldn't have been able to make this without the guides and the forum :)

Francis

Re: Alfie's Game Boy Zero

Post by Francis » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:39 pm

looks good! how long did it take?

Alfie_T

Re: Alfie's Game Boy Zero

Post by Alfie_T » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:53 am

I've been buy bits for this since last June and I had a break where it was thrown in a drawer for a couple of months but all in all I've spent about 10 evenings after work actually working on it