Adventure Time BMO build

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
blameblaine

Re: Adventure Time BMO build

Post by blameblaine » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:26 pm

[mention]SumCanadianGuy[/mention]

That paint job looks sweet! I like how it turned out :D

I'd gladly take both of those items if you don't use them, particularly the screen protector (even if the text is slightly cut off). Dealing with Dominator in the past, he has sent me additional screens when they get messed up. Great seller he is. Since I don't use a cartridge in my builds, I may not have a use for the other piece, but I'll gladly take it!

DO NOT WORRY about hijacking the thread. I like to think of this now as the BMO build thread haha. I'm just excited you joined the thread since you're original thread is how I got inspired.

I'm thinking now I might have to get my own 3D printer to print my black side "BMO" pieces. If I someday get that, just let me know if you would be interested in some 3D printed side pieces.

SumCanadianGuy

Post by SumCanadianGuy » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:17 pm

blameblaine wrote:[mention]SumCanadianGuy[/mention]

That paint job looks sweet! I like how it turned out :D

I'd gladly take both of those items if you don't use them, particularly the screen protector (even if the text is slightly cut off). Dealing with Dominator in the past, he has sent me additional screens when they get messed up. Great seller he is. Since I don't use a cartridge in my builds, I may not have a use for the other piece, but I'll gladly take it!

DO NOT WORRY about hijacking the thread. I like to think of this now as the BMO build thread haha. I'm just excited you joined the thread since you're original thread is how I got inspired.

I'm thinking now I might have to get my own 3D printer to print my black side "BMO" pieces. If I someday get that, just let me know if you would be interested in some 3D printed side pieces.
I might end up modeling and printing those too. I hadn't quite decided on how I was going to make them yet but I knew I wanted them on there. Thought about painting them but I have a printer so why not? If I do that i'll let you know too lol. I also got my buttons from Deadpan Robot and he let me custom pick out BMO colors. All except the D-Pad. I had to overpay for an entire yellow button set from china. I'll send a pic in a bit

SumCanadianGuy

Post by SumCanadianGuy » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:21 pm

Just did a quick mockup on the sacrificial front case and I'm pretty stoked about how this is going to turn out. Just hope I don't run into all the issues I hear everyone else having with Helders AIO.
20170228_230825.jpg
20170228_230825.jpg (6.29 MiB) Viewed 8441 times

SumCanadianGuy

Post by SumCanadianGuy » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:37 am

Well, as long as we're calling this the collaborative BMO build thread I'll do a quick status update here and just link to it in my original thread so anyone that was following it can see posts here now.

I have all of my parts now and most of my wiring done. It looks like I have the v7 screen which I have heard works good out of the box on 5v and also heard that it doesn't. I hope it works fine, but I did find a photo of someone who modded it for 5v if I have to do it and have that on file.

I did all of my case cutting/grinding on the final case last night and mocked up the buttons and screen because I was too excited not to.
WhatsApp Image 2017-03-02 at 8.16.32 AM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2017-03-02 at 8.16.32 AM.jpeg (173.51 KiB) Viewed 8418 times
Things left to do:

Wire up speaker
Wire up power boost
Wire up Camble's safe shutdown switch
Wire up screen to Pi and AIO
Wire Pi to AIO
Try and cram the 4000 mAh battery I had laying around in the case
Pray it all works

I will likely do a few more case mods too, but just minor cosmetic things like possibly the side lettering and using the BMO cartridge slot to cover the gameboy logo. I tried to remove it but it is for sure not coming off then I remembered there is a cartridge slot there. My goal is to at least be powering it on by the end of the weekend.

SumCanadianGuy

Post by SumCanadianGuy » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:07 pm

Woo-hoo! Got my screen going!
20170303_000409_HDR.jpg
20170303_000409_HDR.jpg (7.14 MiB) Viewed 8410 times

SumCanadianGuy

Post by SumCanadianGuy » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:05 pm

hueblo

Post by hueblo » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:13 am

Nice work guys! @sumcanadianguy @blameblaine

I'm working on a BMO GBZ as well! I actually created a custom video splash screen based on audio from the youtube video below. Willing to share the video if you guys are interested. I've been lagging on the build because I'm still waiting for kites board. I have all the color buttons and I'm going to paint the inside of one case and the outside of another to see which one I prefer.

"who wants to play video games?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JegQQu_vYrI

SumCanadianGuy

Post by SumCanadianGuy » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:20 am

I wouldn't mind a short audio clip of "who wants to play video games" but nothing longer. I just don't know that end of it. Maybe a video of all the expressions of BMO cycling through with them saying that would be neat.

Honestly turning it on and seeing the face is my favorite part lol

SumCanadianGuy

Post by SumCanadianGuy » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:22 am

Here they are! Got my overscan all set up properly last night and it's looking great.
20170306_094426.jpg
20170306_094426.jpg (6.76 MiB) Viewed 8367 times
Just have to figure out why they won't charge while on. Or maybe that's just how it works.

BONUS!!! They glow in the dark!
20170305_192702.jpg
20170305_192702.jpg (1.29 MiB) Viewed 8367 times

hueblo

Post by hueblo » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:31 am

SumCanadianGuy wrote:I wouldn't mind a short audio clip of "who wants to play video games" but nothing longer. I just don't know that end of it. Maybe a video of all the expressions of BMO cycling through with them saying that would be neat.

Honestly turning it on and seeing the face is my favorite part lol

The video I made is of BMO's animated face saying "Who wants to play video games?"
I'll post a sample when its finished.

Nice build, what method did you use to paint the inside?