Roms not transferring at all

Post tips/tricks or get help with configuring RetroPie
WTSteve

Re: Roms not transferring at all

Post by WTSteve » Thu May 19, 2016 9:38 am

Ganreizu wrote:That looks like an emulator itself, not a rom. Roms are literally single files.
well poops. I will figure things out later when I buy roms. Thank you.
Last edited by WTSteve on Thu May 19, 2016 9:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Thu May 19, 2016 9:39 am

Yep, that is the source code for the snes9x emulator. :)

Depending on where you get them from, snes rom files will be either in a .zip or .7z archive. When you extract it you should have a .smc file (or it may have several .smc files, for different regions/versions of the same rom).
ImageImageImageImage

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Thu May 19, 2016 9:40 am

WTSteve wrote:
Ganreizu wrote:That looks like an emulator itself, not a rom. Roms are literally single files.
well poops. Where can I find just the roms? That is where everything is pointing me to. Also what does the file extension for these look like? like .snes?
Sorry, rom files are sort of a legal gray area so we can't point you directly to them here. But they are very easily google-able! :)
ImageImageImageImage

Ganreizu

Post by Ganreizu » Thu May 19, 2016 9:41 am

WTSteve wrote:well poops. Where can I find just the roms? That is where everything is pointing me to.
We can't show you or link you to where to find them unfortunately, laws and such. Just google "[insert game here] rom" or "[insert console here] rom pack".

WTSteve

Post by WTSteve » Thu May 19, 2016 9:46 am

Ganreizu wrote:
WTSteve wrote:well poops. Where can I find just the roms? That is where everything is pointing me to.
We can't show you or link you to where to find them unfortunately, laws and such. Just google "[insert game here] rom" or "[insert console here] rom pack".
Awesome. I found a bunch of .7z files. Now to open all of them and hopefully get them all working. Thank you all for your help. I hope unzipping all of them doesn't crash my computer.

Ganreizu

Post by Ganreizu » Thu May 19, 2016 9:57 am

WTSteve wrote:Awesome. I found a bunch of .7z files. Now to open all of them and hopefully get them all working. Thank you all for your help. I hope unzipping all of them doesn't crash my computer.
One more tip in case you got a rom pack: If you're in north america the file you want to look for has "(U)[!]" in it. U is the code for north america and the ! indicates it's a stable file.

Kilren

Post by Kilren » Thu May 19, 2016 11:29 am

Ganreizu wrote:If you're in north america the file you want to look for has "(U)[!]" in it.
You're welcome to PM me directly if you need more "instructions"

crispy_tofu

Post by crispy_tofu » Thu May 19, 2016 5:56 pm

Maybe there should be a disclaimer in a sticky that we can't provide ROMs - just in case. :)

Kilren

Post by Kilren » Thu May 19, 2016 8:46 pm

crispy_tofu wrote:Maybe there should be a disclaimer in a sticky that we can't provide ROMs - just in case. :)
Yeah, the legal complexity is dazzling. Most important part, make sure that you own only what you've legally purchased, and have a good lawyer on retainer. Oh, and shut the heck up (saying this generally, not specifically to anyone) about what you do and don't have :D