GAME BOY 1UP (Florian Renner concept)

Got an idea for a project? Found a cool project you want to share? Post it here!
Mackid

Re: GAME BOY 1UP (Florian Renner concept)

Post by Mackid » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:24 pm

Hi all, for me is the best concept for a new gameboy, i think with a 5 inch screen it will be the perfect machine.

ill-tempered

Post by ill-tempered » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:27 am

ICMF

Post by ICMF » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:37 pm

How 'bout something like this:

I've been working on my own handheld build, heavily inspired by that concept. No cartridge, but the MicroSD is accessible on top. :D

correia5022

Post by correia5022 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:25 pm

ICMF wrote:How 'bout something like this:

I've been working on my own handheld build, heavily inspired by that concept. No cartridge, but the MicroSD is accessible on top. :D
wow, very nice!!
Check out my Boombox: https://nrcboombox.wixsite.com/website

correia5022

Post by correia5022 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:38 pm

Can you eyeball it and replicate? :)

ICMF

Post by ICMF » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:35 pm

Well I could, but he's doing a much more powerful machine that can emulate Wii games and play current Steam stuff. That adds a bunch of complexity that an RPi-based build doesn't need:

Mine uses a Pi Zero, so there's no need for a fan.
Since it's using a Pi Zero, it's limited to 16 bit games. So there's no need for analog sticks.
The back cover is nice and will give it a more polished look, but it adds a few mm of bulk and makes the design less adaptable.

Take away the fan, the analog sticks, and shave a few mms of thickness and you get... pretty much where my design is at right now. :D I'm still tweaking the packaging - adding components, mounting points, etc., but I'm going for a clean internal design that's easy to route wires, rather than a really compact, dense build that's bursting at the seams.

Clean back with battery cover:

Battery cover is attached with magnets:

And the internal layout.

Adafruit gamepad PCBs in pale blue (may just go with perfboard, since the Adafruit PCBs don't really fit at the weird gameboy button angle); speaker in the bottom left; 2000mAh lipo in the middle, connected to a powerboost 1000c (darker blue, in the middle); 5" TFT connects to PiZero (green) via FPC HDMI ribbon; plenty of room for a Teensy LC underneath the Zero; Adafruit Mono amp amp on the right side (dark blue PCB), and I'll be adding a headphone jack underneath.

Still needs a low-pass filter, I guess, and a power switch (I'm leaning towards a GPIO soft shutdown button with a hard shutdown switch). I'll probably put a couple of hotkey buttons under the LCD as well.

correia5022

Post by correia5022 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:53 pm

ICMF wrote: Adafruit gamepad PCBs in pale blue (may just go with perfboard, since the Adafruit PCBs don't really fit at the weird gameboy button angle); speaker in the bottom left; 2000mAh lipo in the middle, connected to a powerboost 1000c (darker blue, in the middle); 5" TFT connects to PiZero (green) via FPC HDMI ribbon; plenty of room for a Teensy LC underneath the Zero; Adafruit Mono amp amp on the right side (dark blue PCB), and I'll be adding a headphone jack underneath.

Still needs a low-pass filter, I guess, and a power switch (I'm leaning towards a GPIO soft shutdown button with a hard shutdown switch). I'll probably put a couple of hotkey buttons under the LCD as well.
Yes, i know he's building something more powerfull... maybe in his shell could fit a RP3?

your's pretty cool as well, but why not keeping the joysticks? that guy uses the teensy for controlling them, so...
Also, in your build, why not adopting stereo sound, you have spare space on the right for a extra speaker.
Did you already printed the first iteration of the shell?

Valadone

Post by Valadone » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:02 am

Hello,

The design of your console is amazing.

The console is made of molded plastic or with a 3D printer ?

And can you share your file or it's a very private project ^^ ?

Thanks a lot for your beautiful 3D pictures !

ICMF

Post by ICMF » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:06 pm

Joysticks would take up extra space, and are useless for any of the gaming I'd want to do. I may add a second speaker, but I don't want to add a second set of holes, and I'm not sure how it'd sound buried inside the case.

And, I could technically cram a Pi3 inside the design as it stands, but I'd have to remove the USB/Ethernet/GPIO/camera/display/jack, and I'd rather not get into that. Plus, I would then have to start worrying about cooling solutions, and I'd rather not get into *that*, either. It's all possible, but it would be a tighter squeeze. Plus, it wouldn't be as well balanced, since I'd have to re-locate the battery.

The shell will eventually be 3D printed. Hopefully on an SLA printer for higher quality, though I may go with an FDM depending on costs.

And yeah, I'll probably upload it to Thingiverse when I'm done, but I'm still in the tweaking stage.

uke

Post by uke » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:28 am

Damn @ICMF, your design is awesome!
Please keep us posted, I know a bunch of us would love to get build our handhelds based on yours.