Actual wiring diagram

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
Cannikin

Actual wiring diagram

Post by Cannikin » Fri May 20, 2016 4:39 pm

Hey guys, I'm playing around with Fritzing and putting together a real wiring diagram. It can also convert this view (known as the breadboard view) to a schematic, but that probably isn't as useful for the layman:

Here's the Fritzing file: gameboy_zero.fzz

It's missing the screen and a couple external USB connectors, but pretty much everything else is there. As you can see the sound section is the most complex, but I think this covers everything: changing the volume for both speaker and amp via the build-in volume knob and then disconnecting the speaker when the headphones are plugged in.

I'll keep this main image updated as I make changes and additions.

Edit 2016-05-21: added download file
Last edited by Cannikin on Sat May 21, 2016 10:27 am, edited 3 times in total.

Retrohead95

Re: Actual wiring diagram

Post by Retrohead95 » Fri May 20, 2016 5:56 pm

Thanks. This will help a lot with my wiring.

Cannikin

Post by Cannikin » Fri May 20, 2016 6:54 pm

Retrohead95 wrote:Thanks. This will help a lot with my wiring.
Full disclosure: I'm still in the process of wiring everything for real, so there's no guarantee this will work as shown right now! I'll keep it up to date and be sure to post my final working version.

dirtybeagles

Post by dirtybeagles » Fri May 20, 2016 7:02 pm

Cannikin wrote:
Retrohead95 wrote:Thanks. This will help a lot with my wiring.
Full disclosure: I'm still in the process of wiring everything for real, so there's no guarantee this will work as shown right now! I'll keep it up to date and be sure to post my final working version.
If you use a USB audio to the usb hub, would't you lose the ability to have a USB slot for keyboard inputs? I only have three places for USB without the audio USB, 1=teezy, 1=wifi dongle, and 1=spare for keyboard if needed.

Cannikin

Post by Cannikin » Fri May 20, 2016 9:30 pm

dirtybeagles wrote:If you use a USB audio to the usb hub, would't you lose the ability to have a USB slot for keyboard inputs? I only have three places for USB without the audio USB, 1=teezy, 1=wifi dongle, and 1=spare for keyboard if needed.
I'm not using a Teensy, I'm gonna use the GPIO pins for input. With the three port hub one is permanently going to USB audio, the other two will be expansion. One will be external (in the "Ext Connector" spot), the other will probably be in the battery compartment.

If you used wermy's 4-port hub then you'll be good even with the USB audio!

Fleder

Post by Fleder » Sat May 21, 2016 8:10 am

Cannikin wrote:Hey guys, I'm playing around with Fritzing and putting together a real wiring diagram. It can also convert this view (known as the breadboard view) to a schematic, but that probably isn't as useful for the layman:
Great, I downloaded this a while ago, but never got around to actually testing it.
How did you get those special parts into fritzing? Is there a source for those?

Cannikin

Post by Cannikin » Sat May 21, 2016 8:22 am

Fleder wrote:Great, I downloaded this a while ago, but never got around to actually testing it.
Had to make 'em myself! When I get near my computer I'll attach the actual Fritzing file and hopefully it'll include the parts. Otherwise I'll figure out how to export them.

Cannikin

Post by Cannikin » Sat May 21, 2016 10:28 am

Fleder wrote:Great, I downloaded this a while ago, but never got around to actually testing it.
Just added the .fzz file to the first post! It's got the diagram and then you'll get all the custom components too. I haven't created the proper schematics for all of them so don't trust those yet. But Breadboard view should be good to go.

dirtybeagles

Post by dirtybeagles » Sat May 21, 2016 10:35 am

Cannikin wrote:
dirtybeagles wrote:If you use a USB audio to the usb hub, would't you lose the ability to have a USB slot for keyboard inputs? I only have three places for USB without the audio USB, 1=teezy, 1=wifi dongle, and 1=spare for keyboard if needed.
I'm not using a Teensy, I'm gonna use the GPIO pins for input. With the three port hub one is permanently going to USB audio, the other two will be expansion. One will be external (in the "Ext Connector" spot), the other will probably be in the battery compartment.

If you used wermy's 4-port hub then you'll be good even with the USB audio!
Have u completed your circuit yet and confirmed working? Curious because I was going to try it.

Cannikin

Post by Cannikin » Sat May 21, 2016 11:41 am

dirtybeagles wrote:Have u completed your circuit yet and confirmed working? Curious because I was going to try it.
Not yet...it'll probably be a week at least. I'll update the post here when I do!