mintyPi Frequently Asked Questions **READ THIS**

General mintyPi-related chat goes here. Share ideas, ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums, etc.
drafterITA

Available room dimensions for battery

Post by drafterITA » Sun May 14, 2017 11:57 pm

Hello community :)
If anybody knows, probably wermy or Helder, how much room is there for the battery in the mintyPi build?
Is it a tight fit with the adafruit one?
The problem here in Italy is that those battery are difficult to find.. On adafruit.com they are out of stock but the shipment in Europe is insane..
So I'm looking for alternatives or if someone knows where to find those lipo batteries here in Europe :)

Thank you!
Last edited by drafterITA on Mon May 15, 2017 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers! :D
drafterITA

RetroRocket

Re: Available room dimensions for battery

Post by RetroRocket » Mon May 15, 2017 12:02 am

If you're trying to keep the battery compartment intact, if you remove all of the support ribs, the dimensions are 55mm x 56mm x 13mm with the compartment door closed.

drafterITA

Post by drafterITA » Mon May 15, 2017 12:27 am

RetroRocket wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 12:02 am
If you're trying to keep the battery compartment intact, if you remove all of the support ribs, the dimensions are 55mm x 56mm x 13mm with the compartment door closed.
I think you're talking about the regular GBZ build right?

and btw.. I think I found it in this store.. available in the EU:
http://www.robotshop.com/eu/en/lipo-bat ... 00mah.html
drafterITA

moosepr

Post by moosepr » Mon May 15, 2017 12:45 am

If you use the numbers from the battery

You can search in the Chinese websites. As long as you don't mind waiting, you can normally get lower prices, and free shipping, but you are of course buying batteries of unknown quality

https://m.aliexpress.com/search.htm?keywords=503562+3.7#/
Get a small cheep LCD in your project https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2312
Wrap it all round a battery https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2292
Or use a custom PCB to make it really small https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2512
or make it really really really really tiny!! https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2919

RetroRocket

Post by RetroRocket » Mon May 15, 2017 12:49 am

drafterITA wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 12:27 am
RetroRocket wrote:

Oh sorry! Yeah that is measured from the DMG here on my desk. Haven't checked my pocket or color.

That battery will fit in the compartment, but it won't give you much life. There are members working on a custom power pack that fits perfectly in the bay, but you can find close-ish approximations of LiPo batteries on eBay. Wermy used a 2000 mAh in his original build but I'm shooting for 3500-4000 for off the shelf batteries that fit.

This one looks promising:

drafterITA

Post by drafterITA » Mon May 15, 2017 1:08 am

RetroRocket wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 12:49 am
drafterITA wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 12:27 am
RetroRocket wrote:

Oh sorry! Yeah that is measured from the DMG here on my desk. Haven't checked my pocket or color.

That battery will fit in the compartment, but it won't give you much life. There are members working on a custom power pack that fits perfectly in the bay, but you can find close-ish approximations of LiPo batteries on eBay. Wermy used a 2000 mAh in his original build but I'm shooting for 3500-4000 for off the shelf batteries that fit.

This one looks promising:
We're talking about the mintyPi build :)
drafterITA

RetroRocket

Post by RetroRocket » Mon May 15, 2017 2:21 am

drafterITA wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 1:08 am
We're talking about the mintyPi build :)
...o my bad!

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Mon May 15, 2017 8:12 am

The 1200mAh battery from Adafruit (they have exact dimensions on their product page, I believe) fits nicely. There is some room above it to allow for wires that people may be attaching to the Pi if they don't use a button PCB.
If you DO use a button PCB, there may be just enough room for the 2000mAh adafruit battery. I say maybe because things could change slightly with the 2.4" screen setup, so I don't want everyone to assume there is room for that size of battery just yet. But, if nothing changes, and you use a button PCB, and you do a clean job of attaching the pi to the board (meaning no giant blobs of solder sticking out) then the 2000mAh one should work. :)
ImageImageImageImage

drafterITA

Post by drafterITA » Mon May 15, 2017 8:21 am

wermy wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 8:12 am
The 1200mAh battery from Adafruit (they have exact dimensions on their product page, I believe) fits nicely. There is some room above it to allow for wires that people may be attaching to the Pi if they don't use a button PCB.
If you DO use a button PCB, there may be just enough room for the 2000mAh adafruit battery. I say maybe because things could change slightly with the 2.4" screen setup, so I don't want everyone to assume there is room for that size of battery just yet. But, if nothing changes, and you use a button PCB, and you do a clean job of attaching the pi to the board (meaning no giant blobs of solder sticking out) then the 2000mAh one should work. :)
Thanks wermy, I found the 1200mAh with the right connector.. And now I just need to wait for your tests with the screen, order the 3d printed parts and the screen + pcb.
Oh, and eat a lot of mints :D
drafterITA

affensause

Post by affensause » Fri May 19, 2017 4:03 am

if anybody living in EU finds an alternative battery with the same dimension please share your findings. Adafruit is sold out currently and the one posted here has 12€ shipping to Germany (and I need two batteries) :D

I'll keep searching for a quality battery with same dimensions and hope to find something to share with your guys!