How To - Build the PRS-Tech SNES-Zero

Various user-contributed guides for hardware-related things
Racerboy

Re: How To - Build the PRS-Tech SNES-Zero

Post by Racerboy » Fri May 05, 2017 12:14 pm

I'm going to try fitting it in one of these cheap Retrolink LED controllers. I don't expect to keep the LED feature, but I figured the clear case would do justice to the nice looking board :D Here's a video of it in action.

It has a switch on the back that's normally used for the LEDs, but I might try to just use it as a power switch. I also just noticed it also has a slot for a potentiometer on top in this picture, which I assume is for LED brightness? Anyway, there should be a way to wire it in as possibly a volume control through Retropie or something, maybe?

Racerboy

Post by Racerboy » Fri May 12, 2017 6:24 pm

Those KAYO Mini-HDMI to HDMI 10FT cables have been out of stock for quite some time now. They have 3-6 feet in stock, but not 10.

I haven't found any other 10 or 15 foot mini-HDMI cables that have that low-profile, squared-off end on them to allow it to fit in the case nicely.

Odissine

Post by Odissine » Sun May 14, 2017 9:21 am

Hello,

I've a question ... about HDMI Power USB, where in your SNES Controller did you put this adaptater ?

And regarding solder you've done on this adaptater, I saw 5V pin (18) and Ground pin (17), in order to get 5V from HDMI Power, I've to solder the component we see in your picture ?
A unmount all my adaptater (I've got another one) and I think the + cable (red) have been solder on between pin 18 from in/out ... but don't know how they solder the ground cable (black) ? And help with picture includes , could you tell me where and how solder the component you add ?

IF someone can help me in the schema ? Where solder the BAT42 Diod ? Why wired like this, there is no 5V output ?
Attachments
ShemaHDMI.jpg
ShemaHDMI.jpg (64.64 KiB) Viewed 10320 times
IMG_1673.JPG
IMG_1673.JPG (1.83 MiB) Viewed 10324 times
IMG_1672.JPG
IMG_1672.JPG (1.9 MiB) Viewed 10324 times

prerunnerseth

Post by prerunnerseth » Mon May 15, 2017 6:32 pm

Odissine wrote:
Sun May 14, 2017 9:21 am
Hello,

I've a question ... about HDMI Power USB, where in your SNES Controller did you put this adaptater ?

And regarding solder you've done on this adaptater, I saw 5V pin (18) and Ground pin (17), in order to get 5V from HDMI Power, I've to solder the component we see in your picture ?
A unmount all my adaptater (I've got another one) and I think the + cable (red) have been solder on between pin 18 from in/out ... but don't know how they solder the ground cable (black) ? And help with picture includes , could you tell me where and how solder the component you add ?

IF someone can help me in the schema ? Where solder the BAT42 Diod ? Why wired like this, there is no 5V output ?
This is not the adapter that you need. you need the adapter in my tutorial that gives you a usb level 5V on the hdmi at the TV end. on the pi you only need the one wire jumper shown to get the power from the hdmi connector on the pi zero to the gpio 5V pin.

Roachman5000

Post by Roachman5000 » Tue May 16, 2017 11:51 pm

Sorry for clogging the forums with this question:

Is the sole point of the diode to reroute 5V back up the HDMI cable to power the Pi Zero, and without the diode, the USB power adapter would not power the Pi Zero in its stock/unmodified state?

EDIT: Nevermind. Answered my own question (it's "Yes").
Last edited by Roachman5000 on Sat May 20, 2017 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thomastallaksen

Post by thomastallaksen » Fri May 19, 2017 5:11 am

Thanks for a great guide!

I'm not sure I completely understand how the hdmi-usb adaptor powers the pi. Does the usb have to be plugged in on the TV-side of the cable, or does your modification mean you can power the pi directly from the hdmi plug?

Racerboy

Post by Racerboy » Fri May 19, 2017 9:00 am

thomastallaksen wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 5:11 am
Thanks for a great guide!

I'm not sure I completely understand how the hdmi-usb adaptor powers the pi. Does the usb have to be plugged in on the TV-side of the cable, or does your modification mean you can power the pi directly from the hdmi plug?
The USB cable needs to be plugged into either the TV or a 5v supply somewhere, such as a usb wall adapter. The diode modification inside the adapter then allows a fairly large amount of current to flow back through the HDMI cable to power the pi using that orange wire soldered to the pi.

So yes, you need to plug in the HDMI cable coming from the pi to the adapter and into the TV, as well as supply 5v to the USB plug however you choose.

Roachman5000

Post by Roachman5000 » Sat May 20, 2017 1:53 am

Finished mine. Love it!
Attachments
IMG_0461.JPG
A 6' HDMI cable would be less snug of a fit, but 10' fits as long as you wrap it properly
IMG_0461.JPG (1.77 MiB) Viewed 9859 times
IMG_0460.JPG
This is with the 10' HDMI cable and the USB cable, and it all still fits.
IMG_0460.JPG (2.02 MiB) Viewed 9859 times

prerunnerseth

Post by prerunnerseth » Sun May 21, 2017 7:26 pm

Roachman5000 wrote:
Sat May 20, 2017 1:53 am
Finished mine. Love it!
Love the case man!

Odissine

Post by Odissine » Mon May 22, 2017 2:15 pm

Nice job !
Lovin'it !!

I'm waiting for the HDMI USB Power you mentionned ... But finally I've a question when I see your build in the case ... the USB Power HDMI is not inside your controller, could you please help me and tell me where do you plug/sole the USB Power on your Pi ? I see only one cable output from your controller (HDMI ...) Maybe I miss something (sorry for my english ...)

could you please show me the diagram ? Anyway, I think I'll do as Chromecast and will use on output 2 cable (HDMI and USB) to be plug on TV :)