Configuring keys in rom options menu

Post tips/tricks or get help with configuring RetroPie
drafterITA

Configuring keys in rom options menu

Post by drafterITA » Sun May 21, 2017 1:17 am

Hi all,
I have a problem with my snes raspberry pi system, made with prerunnerseth's board: http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2659 it uses GPIO input
I have to change options for a certain rom, to use another emulator for example, but with the controller I can't navigate this menu:
IMG_20170521_090911_01.jpg
IMG_20170521_090911_01.jpg (2.47 MiB) Viewed 7048 times
And basically I'm stuck here, I can only open the controller, attach the keyboard to the USB port via the dongle micro USB-to-USB and exit the menu.. Is there a way to configure keys for this option menu so I can use the controller buttons to perform ok and cancel operations? The dpad actually works to scroll up or down

Thank you very much :)
Cheers! :D
drafterITA

VeteranGamer

Re: Configuring keys in rom options menu

Post by VeteranGamer » Sun May 21, 2017 1:31 am

drafterITA wrote:
Sun May 21, 2017 1:17 am
Hi all,
I have a problem with my snes raspberry pi system, made with prerunnerseth's board: http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2659 it uses GPIO input
I have to change options for a certain rom, to use another emulator for example, but with the controller I can't navigate this menu:IMG_20170521_090911_01.jpg

And basically I'm stuck here, I can only open the controller, attach the keyboard to the USB port via the dongle micro USB-to-USB and exit the menu.. Is there a way to configure keys for this option menu so I can use the controller buttons to perform ok and cancel operations? The dpad actually works to scroll up or down

Thank you very much :)

there are some controllers that let you do this, i've only found that xbox 360 controllers give you the most usability (which is no use to you)

the keyboard is the only way....

you may be able to ssh into it, but this seem more long winded then plugging in a keyboard

drafterITA

Post by drafterITA » Sun May 21, 2017 2:46 am

VeteranGamer wrote:
Sun May 21, 2017 1:31 am
there are some controllers that let you do this, i've only found that xbox 360 controllers give you the most usability (which is no use to you)

you may be able to ssh into it, but this seem more long winded then plugging in a keyboard
Dang it.. that's a bummer..
A more creative solution like 2 tact switches on the back of the controller and map them with GPIO to the keyboard keys ENTER and ESC?
(is this sci-fi or is it possible?)

Alternatively, do you know if I can change this kind of things manually with configuration files? Like select another emulator for the specified rom?
thank you :)
drafterITA

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Sun May 21, 2017 3:20 am

drafterITA wrote:
Sun May 21, 2017 2:46 am
VeteranGamer wrote:
Sun May 21, 2017 1:31 am

A more creative solution like 2 tact switches on the back of the controller and map them with GPIO to the keyboard keys ENTER and ESC?

this is posible.... its something i was thinking about doing on my for my GBZ build, especially as i would have liked to have played arcade games with require the esc to exit the games)

if your controls are via gpio then adding an extra but shouldnt be an issue.....

for the controller pcb or aio, i looked at this option (it could be out of date now)

but if your not going to need it setup menu access all the time, is it really work doing all the work

drafterITA

Post by drafterITA » Sun May 21, 2017 5:57 am

VeteranGamer wrote:
Sun May 21, 2017 3:20 am
drafterITA wrote:

this is posible.... its something i was thinking about doing on my for my GBZ build, especially as i would have liked to have played arcade games with require the esc to exit the games)

if your controls are via gpio then adding an extra but shouldnt be an issue.....
Do you know how to do it? I'm searching the Internet for a couple hours but I end up always with nothing..
Thank you :)
drafterITA

HoolyHoo

Post by HoolyHoo » Sun May 21, 2017 7:00 am

drafterITA wrote:
Sun May 21, 2017 5:57 am
VeteranGamer wrote:
Sun May 21, 2017 3:20 am
drafterITA wrote:

Do you know how to do it? I'm searching the Internet for a couple hours but I end up always with nothing..
Thank you :)
He has a guide here:
http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=57
I believe you just need to edit the retrogame.c file and add the keyboard keys and pi BCM number of your GPIO buttons to the array. Rest should be the same if you follow the guide. You can probably also just edit "KEY_E" to "KEY_ENTER" and "KEY_S" to "KEY_ESC" to change what you need also. You'll have to test it.

drafterITA

Post by drafterITA » Sun May 21, 2017 7:55 am

HoolyHoo wrote:
Sun May 21, 2017 7:00 am
He has a guide here:
http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=57
I believe you just need to edit the retrogame.c file and add the keyboard keys and pi BCM number of your GPIO buttons to the array. Rest should be the same if you follow the guide. You can probably also just edit "KEY_E" to "KEY_ENTER" and "KEY_S" to "KEY_ESC" to change what you need also. You'll have to test it.
My Oh my.. I only read the second half of that guide to set up the board.. I figured I had to modify the C library but I was not sure how :D
I'll wait to see the inside of the case from the pictures of the other user who put the shutdown tact button and I'll do both things together :D
Thank you very much!
drafterITA