Rotate composite output only not hdmi

Hardware-related questions that don't fit into any of the specialized hardware categories go here.
Kharmeleon

Rotate composite output only not hdmi

Post by Kharmeleon » Mon May 23, 2016 12:02 pm

Hello fellows it's me again. This time i need to know how to rotate by 180 degrees on the composite output ONLY and not on the HDMI screen using the config.txt or another method. I don't want to have to edit the config file every time. The composite screen connected at the RCA has to turn by 180 degrees by default and when HDMI is connected it has to have normal layout with 0 degrees by default. Is it possible? If yes what do i have to do? Thanks in advance!

Kharmeleon

Re: Rotate composite output only not hdmi

Post by Kharmeleon » Fri May 27, 2016 6:29 am

Does no one have an idea or a clue how to solve this?

Fleder

Post by Fleder » Fri May 27, 2016 6:37 am

The only help i can give is, how about looking for a display that turns automatically?

Kharmeleon

Post by Kharmeleon » Fri May 27, 2016 6:42 am

Does such a display even exist? :shock:

Fleder

Post by Fleder » Fri May 27, 2016 6:48 am

Yes, a few people here on the forums even said theirs did this.
CandyManCriminal wrote:i mounted my screen upsidedown, had no room to do it otherwise
my screen (the niceshopping screen) has built in screen flip so that worked out
just need to be careful with the ribbon cable, should be fine

Kharmeleon

Post by Kharmeleon » Fri May 27, 2016 6:58 am

Fleder wrote:Yes, a few people here on the forums even said theirs did this.
CandyManCriminal wrote:i mounted my screen upsidedown, had no room to do it otherwise
my screen (the niceshopping screen) has built in screen flip so that worked out
just need to be careful with the ribbon cable, should be fine
Could you link it for me please. I need this screen! :o Don't know where to find this niceshopping trader. :oops:

Fleder

Post by Fleder » Fri May 27, 2016 7:21 am

Kharmeleon wrote:Could you link it for me please. I need this screen! :o Don't know where to find this niceshopping trader. :oops:
In the Sudomod Wiki.

Popcorn
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Popcorn » Tue May 31, 2016 9:37 am

There's an ugly solution on stackexchange.

https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/q ... ite-output

You could run this service and depending on if it's hdmi, you could copy another config.txt in it's place and make it reboot to load it up. Only problem with this is everytime you boot up in different video modes, it will have to copy then reboot

Ganreizu

Post by Ganreizu » Tue May 31, 2016 12:09 pm

Geh. I guess i need this solution as well. Something more automatic than having to change config files? Some part of the pi is checking to see if output is hdmi or composite so we just need something of an if then statement somewhere...

Edit:

Here's a handy page we can use to figure something out: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... fig-txt.md

There's a section for conditional filters at the bottom. Not quite an if/then, but should be helpful to us nonetheless.

We need display_rotate=2 to flip the screen when using the GBZ screen, but we need display_rotate=0 when using HDMI. I'm thinking we can use the [EDID=*] filter to define HDMI screens that we normally use and add specific configurations for those displays. Get the EDID name for the GBZ monitor and add display_rotate=2 to that EDID block, then get the EDID name for your HDMI monitor and add display_rotate=0 to that EDID block.

Downsides include having to have the HDMI display connected before boot, rather than post-boot, but wouldn't have the downside of having to change config files or wait longer during each boot. You would also need to grab the EDID for every HDMI display that you need to use.

If you're in the wild and plug into an HDMI that doesn't belong to you and don't normally use, you would have to edit the config file with that new EDID and reboot. For this reason, I would carry around a pocket keyboard for the purpose of altering the pi's system whenever necessary.

I think this would solve this problem quite well, but i hope we can improve on it and make it even more automatic. Maybe a boot script to automatically grab EDID and, if it's a new EDID, add it to config? (or even a separate file referenced by config so that config itself doesn't grow to be too massive a file)

Hopefully this helps you [mention]Kharmeleon[/mention]

Ganreizu

Post by Ganreizu » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:56 pm

So i just tried my above solution with the EDID filter in config.txt and i'm confirming that it works.

If you need to put a display_rotate in config.txt because the GBZ screen is upside down for whatever reason and you want to use HDMI and have the screen not apply display_rotate then find the HDMI display's EDID tag by typing "tvservice -n" at the file manager, writing down the EDID, and then add the following block to config.txt:

[EDID=*your display's EDID tag*]
display_rotate=0
[all]

Then your HDMI display will be right side up! Like i said in my last post though you'll have to do this for every new HDMI tv that you plug into...