Is this battery too good to be true?

Discussion about other hardware (including other Pi-like boards)
Roller Toaster

Is this battery too good to be true?

Post by Roller Toaster » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:05 pm

I found a 3000mAh battery on Aliexpress that looks like it would fit really well in the case (I am planning on using it for the SAIO build). I just wanted to know if 3000mAH was unreasonable for a battery of dimensions 8mm by 60mm by 50mm. I worry about buying a battery from China that turns out to be a scam.

RetroRocket

Re: Is this battery too good to be true?

Post by RetroRocket » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:19 pm

I just purchased a similarly sized battery off eBay. I haven't received it yet but will inform when I get down to running some tests. You do have to be careful on the China battery claims (recently found a "10,000" mAh Li-Po that was 90mmx50mm), but I don't think the one you linked is too unreasonable.

Chrisagu28

Post by Chrisagu28 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:05 pm

I like where this is going. I look forward to some results in case I cant get my hands on a DEX battery, I would like to have a back up option with decent to awesome battery life.

BadBert

Post by BadBert » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:23 am

also looking forward to some tests.
I am looking for a good lipo for my 2nd build.
My first GBZ build -=HERE=- -> Became a gift to my little brother!
My 2nd GBZ build -=WIP HERE=- -> going with HDMI!

cobramike

Post by cobramike » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:29 am

Ya me to. Building my 7 gameboy. Please share the info.
Whooo Stop befor ask in a post. First use the search or the wiki befor you make a topic.. Just saying.........

RetroRocket

Post by RetroRocket » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:18 pm

Okay! I got my battery today and immediately set to work on it.

Quick note, be EXTREMELY careful with the output wires if you get it, there is roughly one molecule of solder on the joints to the circuit protection board. I definitely didn't tear one off while stripping the end *cough* but I decided to do a little surgery and beef up the connections. Also, the leads are pretty short, only reaching about halfway up the case if you slot them through the existing holes in the battery bay, so I spliced them to a spare JST connector.
SpoilerShow
DSC_0008.JPG
DSC_0008.JPG (7.91 MiB) Viewed 9289 times
Good news! It fits absolutely perfectly in the battery bay. I preemptively carved out all of the AA dividers and the slots to hold the metal AA terminals so it wiggles a little, maybe 2-3mm vertically and another 1.5-2mm horizontally. I imagine it would fit without any modification, or maybe just the lower bits.
SpoilerShow
DSC_0006 (2).JPG
DSC_0006 (2).JPG (7.95 MiB) Viewed 9289 times
The battery came depleted, so I charged it up using my GBZ's Powerboost circuit and played for just over five hours before the PB low battery indicator came on. It was a combination of Gradius III, Chrono Trigger and Star Fox. I didn't test it to shutdown or failure, but when I get to my multimeter I may go and test the voltage when the indicator lights...if anyone is interested.
SpoilerShow
DSC_0007 (2).JPG
DSC_0007 (2).JPG (7.77 MiB) Viewed 9289 times
So there you go; if you're interested in a decent capacity battery for your GBZ that doesn't require modification to the DMG case and can fit in the battery bay, this is a contender!

Chrisagu28

Post by Chrisagu28 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:02 am

This is Fantastic news! I might order one while I wait for Dex's battery (assuming I can get one) Were you using a pi zero W? 5 hours is plenty for me. any more is a bonus. you got the one with the 4000mAh correct?

RetroRocket

Post by RetroRocket » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:42 am

Chrisagu28 wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:02 am
This is Fantastic news! I might order one while I wait for Dex's battery (assuming I can get one) Were you using a pi zero W? 5 hours is plenty for me. any more is a bonus. you got the one with the 4000mAh correct?
Yep, that's correct, I'm using a Pi0W and this was the 4000 mAh model from the eBay listing in my previous post. I basically just hunted around eBay for the dimensions I took from my case of 55 x 50 x 15 mm. I haven't yet gotten around to deactivating the bluetooth that I'll never use and implementing some other power-saving measures.

I ordered mine on May 15th and it just arrived today, so that's a lead time of about three weeks. I'm already getting going on my second GBZ, so I'll definitely be ordering a couple more, using this weeny 2000 mAh Li-po for testing in the meantime.

Glad my test was helpful, cheers!

Chrisagu28

Post by Chrisagu28 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:18 am

Well your tests and Dex's shipping situation convinced to order this battery. Hopefully it will arrive around the time I get Kites AIO board then I can build it up and see about getting some good results. I am hoping with his AIO and turning off wifi/bluetooth I can score around 5-6 hours. But we shall see. Do you recommend still shaving down the battery tray? or trim to make it snug?

Thanks again. BTW I am located in WA as well. I am over in bremerton. Talk about small world.

BadBert

Post by BadBert » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:34 am

That's awsome! I'll order a couple for myself!!

thanks a lot!
My first GBZ build -=HERE=- -> Became a gift to my little brother!
My 2nd GBZ build -=WIP HERE=- -> going with HDMI!