Troubleshooting (GBZ wont turn on)

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
Enviola

Troubleshooting (GBZ wont turn on)

Post by Enviola » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:21 pm

So I finally got all my parts wired and mounted and I have run into two major issues.

1st Issue, with everything wired up, when I connect the power, the power indicator (on the powerboost) does not turn on, only the charging indicator. (so the system is not powered).
I went to the power strip and desoldered wires individually to find the source. I found that if GROUND is connected for either the Amplifier or the USB Hub (either both or separately) it causes the issue. Doesnt matter if 5v is connected. Any ideas what could be causing this? Easy solutions?

The wiring is USB HUB ---> USB Soundcard ---> Amplifier

If I disconnect them, the Pi gets power.

The second issue is just that the screen doesn't turn on, but that could be from like 100 different things.

Lpoolm

Re: Troubleshooting (GBZ wont turn on)

Post by Lpoolm » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:49 pm

Try adding one item at a time to the power strip, so pi first, then screen then whatever, the chances are something is shorting out but you can slowly add more knowing what is working and what your issues is.
With regards to the turning on again this week probably be a short, I had a similar problem recently when I pushed doyen on my wires on the powerboost it would start, I took all wires off powerboost /switch /USB charging port and resoldered and all worked after that.
Check out my modding and repair channel of retro and modern consoles:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFz7yW ... GtQ/videos

Lphillimore

Post by Lphillimore » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:38 pm

Agree with Lpoolm.

Backtrack a little. Go:

Powerboost --> Powerstrip

Powerstrip --> Pi
Powerstrip --> Screen

Then test.

Probably a short ot bad wiring on the audio devices.

As for screen output, ensure your composite is wired correctly and that there's an imaged SD card in the pi. If there's no SD, no boot 😎

McGyver

Post by McGyver » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:53 pm

Change boot.txt for composite output not forget.

Lphillimore

Post by Lphillimore » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:03 am

Enviola wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:21 pm
So I finally got all my parts wired and mounted and I have run into two major issues.

1st Issue, with everything wired up, when I connect the power, the power indicator (on the powerboost) does not turn on, only the charging indicator. (so the system is not powered).
I went to the power strip and desoldered wires individually to find the source. I found that if GROUND is connected for either the Amplifier or the USB Hub (either both or separately) it causes the issue. Doesnt matter if 5v is connected. Any ideas what could be causing this? Easy solutions?

The second issue is just that the screen doesn't turn on, but that could be from like 100 different things.
Did you get this sorted??

Enviola

Post by Enviola » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:40 am

Lphillimore wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:03 am
Enviola wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:21 pm

Did you get this sorted??
Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to revisit it.