What kind of projects would you like to see next?

Got suggestions, feedback, praise, etc.? Post it here!
Kilren

Re: What kind of projects would you like to see next?

Post by Kilren » Tue May 24, 2016 8:06 am

dominator wrote:I'd like to see a Gameboy Color, to me its more appealing to the eye than a Gba. Or how about a GB3? (with the board not cut). When I first decided to build a handheld, I went through a long list of consoles, trying to decide what would be best. I had thought of a PSP, though the screen is widescreen, and a lot of old games don't use that format, so it's pointless and not to mention lacking the retro design.
When I have completed my GBZ build, I am going to tackle a Wonderswan. Hopefully by then, I will have learn't how to build something small and neat (I have only built arcade machines before).
That would be super cool, but where the heck would you put X/Y buttons? If i recall correctly, the A/B were right against the screen wasn't it?
Edit: The post was referring to the wonderswan
Last edited by Kilren on Wed May 25, 2016 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

n3000

Post by n3000 » Tue May 24, 2016 1:01 pm

Well all the nintendo handhelds are great ideas and they are possible, I would rather go for something that I haven't seen before.
I have no idea if it could be used but has anyone looked at the xperia play phone?

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Ericsson-Xpe ... B004UBD066

they are pretty cheap on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... ay&_sop=15

or if you just need the housing you can get that at aliexpress

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original ... 2ad7508c0d

Rod2D2

Post by Rod2D2 » Wed May 25, 2016 6:34 am

I didn't read all of the previous suggestions. A Bar top icade raspberry pi 3 conversion would be fun. I know someone is already doing one in the other projects section but would be fun to do a step by step project and I don't think it wouldn't be nearly as complicated or time consuming as the gameboy zero project.

Rod2D2

Post by Rod2D2 » Wed May 25, 2016 7:29 am

wermy wrote:
dirtybeagles wrote:I have an old ion icade and I wanted to build a small arcade machine, but if you do not have one laying around it would be kind of a pain probably to grab one.

Here is an example of someone else's mod: maxresdefault.jpg
Heh, an ion iCade to PiCade conversion was one of the first Raspberry Pi projects I did - it's sitting in my office right behind me. :)
I just purchased one of these at a thrift store for pretty cheap and it isn't the first time I've seen them there. Would be a fun project and a cool display item for any bartop, home office, or basement rec room. Being able to incorporate the pi3 and the 8 buttons it already has would definitely open up the gaming library to more mame, PSX, and the more modern emulators.

christspringer271

Post by christspringer271 » Wed May 25, 2016 9:29 am

Please show new accessories. :D

evil_BaD_one

Post by evil_BaD_one » Thu May 26, 2016 1:54 pm

The project I'm looking to do next is to mod a PS1 to get a flip up screen by opening the disc drive. Just an idea I wanted to share.

Megavolt

Post by Megavolt » Thu May 26, 2016 2:13 pm

evil_BaD_one wrote:The project I'm looking to do next is to mod a PS1 to get a flip up screen by opening the disc drive. Just an idea I wanted to share.

Or with a good old Gamecube ? :)

johnweland

Post by johnweland » Fri May 27, 2016 9:09 am

dominator wrote:I'd like to see a Gameboy Color, to me its more appealing to the eye than a Gba. Or how about a GB3? (with the board not cut). When I first decided to build a handheld, I went through a long list of consoles, trying to decide what would be best. I had thought of a PSP, though the screen is widescreen, and a lot of old games don't use that format, so it's pointless and not to mention lacking the retro design.
When I have completed my GBZ build, I am going to tackle a Wonderswan. Hopefully by then, I will have learn't how to build something small and neat (I have only built arcade machines before).
The wide screen isn't a total waste. If you use ignition you'll get awesome info in the "black bar" region. Details about the game you're playing, player info if you are playing multiplayer (net play) games etc.

check out their video here https://vimeo.com/120813609. I'm actually working odds and ends for the developer of that project.

Kharmeleon

Post by Kharmeleon » Fri May 27, 2016 2:27 pm

My vision for the future is to put a Pi Zero or even a Pi 3 into a PSP 1000 enclosure but at first i have to finish my Game Boy project :)

jlane52641

Post by jlane52641 » Fri May 27, 2016 5:45 pm

I LOVE the Wii U gamepad / Pi3 idea from the other thread
Nice big screen, lots of space, lots of buttons
Plus if android comes to Pi3 it's just icing on the cake

Kinda pricey, but still it'd be worth it