Resoldering LEDs on the micro lipo charger

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
Adim01

Resoldering LEDs on the micro lipo charger

Post by Adim01 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:42 am

So like it states in the title I wanna desolder the LEDs of the micro lipo charger from adafruit (https://www.adafruit.com/product/1904) to put them on the outside of the case.
I am a real newcomer in terms of electronics so it would be great to explain it to me like I am 5. :D
So first of all could I be just using one LED instead of the two on the board so It could change its color if one is turned on and the other one ist turned off? (https://m.nl.aliexpress.com/s/item/3227 ... d#autostay) (just asthetic wise it would be nicer to just have one LED instead of two separate ones) ;)
The other question is what kind of LEDs I should use? I want them to sit flush on the side of the mintypi so a flat generic bi color LED would be my dream.
So if there is anything else I need to look out for please tell me that also. :)
Ps: I am sorry for the terrible englisch :D

abrugsch

Re: Resoldering LEDs on the micro lipo charger

Post by abrugsch » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:05 am

those LED's on the micro lipo are TINY!
unless you are already pretty skilled at desoldering, you won't likely get them off without damaging them... (which may not be a problem, but hooking up to the pads might be if you're not hot on soldering)

but to your question yes, those LED's you linked are literally just 2 LED's strapped together, BUT the thing to watch out for is that that one is common anode which is the same as joining the + sides to each other. I've just checked the schematic of the micro lipo and unfortunately there's no common line between them. the Red goes between +5v and it's resistor, and the green goes between it's (own) resistor on it's high side to ground, so you'd need a 4-pin no-common LED. I have no idea if those even exist.

as for the LED itself, adafruit has a current limiting resistor of 470 Ohms which will cover pretty much any available standard LED so as long as you don't get some super exotic, thing, any 'normal' LED you source will be fine. it's up to you if you want SMD or through hole but a small through hole type will be easier to work with

Adim01

Post by Adim01 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:57 am

Well apart from me probably not being able to desolder those tiny thing, I didn't quite get what you mean with SMD or through hole?
Well could I not just join the two lines? Or would that short the circuit :)
English is not my native language so please bear with me :D

abrugsch

Post by abrugsch » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:08 am

SMD (also SMT) is Surface mount. i.e. the tiny parts that solder directly to the surface of the PCB allowing high density of components on both sides of the board.
Through hole is the more traditional types that have legs that go Through Holes in the PCB.

every component you can see here is surface mount:
the long legs of this LED show it's Through hole
Adim01 wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:57 am
Well could I not just join the two lines? Or would that short the circuit :)
which two lines? (but whatever it is, probably, yes... ;) )
Adim01 wrote: English is not my native language so please bear with me :D
you're doing fine. almost certainly better than my [your language]

Adim01

Post by Adim01 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:12 am

Oh every day something new but this time something useful :D
Cheers for that :)
I was talking about the two ground surfaces for the LEDs, if I just could wire them together and then go to the new LED.

My native language is German so yes shame on me and my poor learning skills back in my days :p

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:24 pm

That LED is common anode meaning the positive power goes to the center pin which is the inner side of each LED on the board. So you would connect those 2 LED pads to the center pin the the other remaining pad of the LED on the edge of the board to one of the remaining legs.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

ICMF

Post by ICMF » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:18 pm

This is probably a dumb idea, but...

Rather than desoldering the LEDs - pulling them off the board and soldering a new connection in the same place, could he just wire a second pair of LEDs to share those existing connections? So he'd be powering two LEDs off each pad. It'd still be tricky, precision work, but it should be a lot easier than desoldering the existing components.

abrugsch

Post by abrugsch » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:54 pm

Helder wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:24 pm
That LED is common anode meaning the positive power goes to the center pin which is the inner side of each LED on the board. So you would connect those 2 LED pads to the center pin the the other remaining pad of the LED on the edge of the board to one of the remaining legs.
But if you look at the schematic for the micro lipo, the 2 led's annodes aren't common

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:20 pm

I know and didn't say it would work just explained it how it should work but you're right according to the schematic it might not work but only trying can you tell.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

Adim01

Post by Adim01 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:57 am

Well giving that either it would be too hard or even impossible I thought of another idea of mine.
If I am correct you could just drill two holes into the plastic of the 3D printed part and stick two about 1,5-2mm full plastic tubing to carry on the light to the top. One has to consider to insulat both of them to shield its light from one another :p
Well hopefully that was understandable :)