Collecting information on alternative displays - please contribute

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
marketus

Re: Collecting information on alternative displays - please contribute

Post by marketus » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:07 am

Does anyone know how to reduce brightness level on the screen? I reduce it to 0 through the display's button pcb but it still is too high to play at night. Also the battery will last more time, I think could be interesting. Any thoughts?

RogerX

Post by RogerX » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:07 pm

So I happen to have a number of 5v to 12v DC-DC step-up converters. Can someone smarter than me explain the pros/cons of using this to power the screen at the expected 12v, as opposed to modifying the screens?

I am assuming you'd be losing efficiency on the step-up and there's probably already a stepdown happening on the board, which is more loss?

Edited to add: I would be adding an extra component to the build, which is cumbersome enough already. But I guess my haziness comes from not knowing what the actual display board is doing from a voltage standpoint. Is it using 12v for certain components? Or is it blanket dumping the input down to 3.3v and/or 5v for the display logic and backlight/LCD? I think these DC-DC converters were like 94 cents each if you bought 10 of them.
-RogerX
Instagram & Twitter: @iamroot ( http://instagram.com/iamroot )
sudomod Discord: Roger the Bananaman

tinkerBOY

Post by tinkerBOY » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:34 pm

RogerX wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:07 pm
So I happen to have a number of 5v to 12v DC-DC step-up converters. Can someone smarter than me explain the pros/cons of using this to power the screen at the expected 12v, as opposed to modifying the screens?

I am assuming you'd be losing efficiency on the step-up and there's probably already a stepdown happening on the board, which is more loss?

Edited to add: I would be adding an extra component to the build, which is cumbersome enough already. But I guess my haziness comes from not knowing what the actual display board is doing from a voltage standpoint. Is it using 12v for certain components? Or is it blanket dumping the input down to 3.3v and/or 5v for the display logic and backlight/LCD? I think these DC-DC converters were like 94 cents each if you bought 10 of them.
Yes more loss.

Most 3.5" car lcd screen takes 12v, turns it to 5v, then lastly turns it to 3.3v. This alone is already redundant.

Here's what happen if you use 5v to 12v:

5v ==> 12v ==> 5v ==> 3.3v

Which makes it even more redundant and you will have some wasted power from stepping up and down. The further the input and output apart the more power/current is needed.

Most just find where the 5v output on the board and connect the 5v power there. Why not just connect the 3.3v from the Pi to the 3.3v pin on the lcd board? Because the Pi is not recommended to give too much current from the 3.3v pin. Well what about a 3.3v regulator that takes 5v power and outputs 3.3v for the lcd to use? Well the lcd already has a 3.3v regulator. :)
New! tinkerBOY PowerSwitch v1.0 with Safe Shutdown
Game Boy Zero Controllers available @ tinkerBOY.xyz * Support
tinkerBOY Controller v3.0 - built-in usb controller, usb audio, and usb hub
tinkerBOY Controller v2.0 - GPIO buttons and builtin PWM Audio and Amplifier
tinkerBOY Controller v1.1 - simple pcb button
* DPI Adapter - better display for GBZ
* keyboard converters - IBM XT/AT Soarer's Converter | ADB to USB Converter

tinkerBOY

Post by tinkerBOY » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:51 pm

marketus wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:07 am
Does anyone know how to reduce brightness level on the screen? I reduce it to 0 through the display's button pcb but it still is too high to play at night. Also the battery will last more time, I think could be interesting. Any thoughts?
I tried this on my BW screen with brightness reduced to 0% but still too bright when playing at night. I also noticed the power consumption is the same whether the brightness is at 0% or 100%.

Do you have a picture of your lcd board? Does the board use the AMT630 chip? Mine gets hot. How about yours?
Mine isShow
IMG_1416.JPG
IMG_1416.JPG (1.36 MiB) Viewed 11057 times

tinkerBOY

Post by tinkerBOY » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:47 pm

Has anyone tried this screen yet? https://www.ebay.ph/itm/141031751479

Only $14

bouke

Post by bouke » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:50 am

Found this screen today on Aliexpress, seems to be an updated version of the "Kedei" HDMI screen. Same resolution although this one specifically mentions it is IPS, maybe the other was TN? It also features buttons which can be used to access the screen menu.

Currently only 10 dollars, seems almost too good to be true but I guess I will find out.

https://nl.aliexpress.com/store/product ... 0.0.Ijt1R8

//Edit:
Price is now back up to 34 dollars but I guess they will have a sale again soon.
Currently figuring out how to build my first Game Boy Zero. 8-)

Renalti

Post by Renalti » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:25 am

bouke wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:50 am
Found this screen today on Aliexpress, seems to be an updated version of the "Kedei" HDMI screen. Same resolution although this one specifically mentions it is IPS, maybe the other was TN? It also features buttons which can be used to access the screen menu.
Found this one at only 17 EUR, it seems to be the same?

However, they wrote it only support Raspbian. Does it mean it won't work on RetroPi/RecalBox ? Why would I get this one when for the same price I can have full HD and touch screen?

Could someone please explain to me, so that I don't order bad/incompatible screens?

Thank you all :)

tinkerBOY

Post by tinkerBOY » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:43 am

Renalti wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:25 am
bouke wrote:

However, they wrote it only support Raspbian. Does it mean it won't work on RetroPi/RecalBox ? Why would I get this one when for the same price I can have full HD and touch screen?

Could someone please explain to me, so that I don't order bad/incompatible screens?

I think both of the screens you linked are basically the same, both hdmi and have touch screen. About the price it's normal on aliexpress to find cheaper ones but expensive from different sellers. Its like direct factory selleres vs resellers.

tinkerBOY

Post by tinkerBOY » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:49 am

zeroboy wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:43 am
Renalti wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:25 am
bouke wrote:

I think both of the screens you linked are basically the same, both hdmi and have touch screen. About the price it's normal on aliexpress to find cheaper ones but expensive from different sellers. Its like direct factory selleres vs resellers.
Oops sorry my mistake i opened the wrong link.

If you just want a simple setup get the composite screen. Otherwises get the hdmi which will probably give you a nicer image quality but needs some more work to put inside the GBZ.

Renalti

Post by Renalti » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:21 am

zeroboy wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:49 am
Oops sorry my mistake i opened the wrong link.

If you just want a simple setup get the composite screen. Otherwises get the hdmi which will probably give you a nicer image quality but needs some more work to put inside the GBZ.
Thank you @zeroboy for the reply! I read somewhere on this topic that the linked "HD screens" where actually low-def converting to "fake" HD. Anyway, I'll still grab one, just for fun, and try it!

Thank you :)