Veteran's 2nd GBZ (HDMI Screen) (Completed)

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
VeteranGamer

Re: Veteran's 2nd GBZ (HDMI Screen + Stereo Sound) (WIP)

Post by VeteranGamer » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:59 am

BadBert wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:11 am
What is the issue you encountered? :)
Lphillimore wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:19 am
Really tempted to buy one of these screens now for the next GBZ....dammit!!!

the screen itself (quality of display) is the way forward.... those composite screens just dont compare...

modifying the screen is also fairly straight forward (5v out the box) and only the board needs to be trimmed a little...
you could do what i did and go a little extra and remove the usb socket and switch, which cant be accessed once the screen is fitted in (but its not major if you dont)

setting up the screen is not even an issue also (just overscan settings need to be changed), i know people have raised issues about pixels but the benefits outweigh this (and most probably unnoticeable)....

the biggest issue with this screen is (and most probably reason you've never really seen a build finished)....

is the adapter they provide with the screen is slightly too big for the game boy case
(you could butcher the life out of the back case to get it to fit, but thats way to much work and makes things awkward in the case)

this issue i suspect is not only with the adapter, i've got another one of these on order (the first never arrived, the reason why the delay in the build)...
but the delay, got me thinking and i foresee a similar issue with this as the height of the adapter that goes into the screen is also about the same as the one thats provided by kedei with the screen...

Now i'm not the one to give up on anything i start (a bit stubborn like that)... i got thinking again (alot of thinking, this cant be healthy)

this is the same screen that 1UP uses in his builds, how is he able to fit the screen in and also a Pi3 (even though his cases are also a little butchered)

well the adapter he uses is different.....

you'll be surprised, the couple of mm less makes all the difference....
so I contacted 1UP, asking if he would be willing to supply the adapter... he wasnt interested....

so the I asked the member on sudomod who is selling the 1UP builds (tohome87) if he could help... 1UP was willing to supply him with the adapter at a cost of $7 and then he was willing to ship it to me for that plus the shipping cost of around $23.... (thats $30 for the adapter)

again not to give up....

im gonna make my own (it will cost alot less than $30 and thats for a batch of prototypes)

thats where i'm at... too be honest i'm kinda a bit out of my depth with this (but i'm persevering)....
i havent asked any members with experience in pcb design as they seem busy with their other projects (but that might be needed)

still also waiting on the fpv flat cable....

gilbertotron

Post by gilbertotron » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:13 am

Thanks for that info! And fair play, your determination is impressive! :)
Last edited by gilbertotron on Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

BadBert

Post by BadBert » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:12 am

VeteranGamer wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:59 am
i orderd the FPV cable, it is recommended by users that build the zeroboy gameboys. Different users there have used that cable, so i hope that will fit without any problems....
My first GBZ build -=HERE=- -> Became a gift to my little brother!
My 2nd GBZ build -=WIP HERE=- -> going with HDMI!

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:42 am

BadBert wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:12 am
VeteranGamer wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:59 am
i orderd the FPV cable, it is recommended by users that build the zeroboy gameboys. Different users there have used that cable, so i hope that will fit without any problems....
have you ever seen there builds completed... and how do they look...

no one on here has really shown off their builds with the hdmi screen (and the finished product with or without the fpv cable)

you have to hollow out some of the back case, theres no way it will fit (its about the same size as the dual adapter)

also that cable could be an issue (especially for my build.... im not into clutter or messy builds)
cable length will also be an issue... i've order 5cm,10cm and 20cm, the less length the better

still gonna try it..so the jurys out....

but if the adapter works in the 1up builds (its tried and tested), i wanna look at that... it seems like a good option, especially if you wanted to put a Pi3 in a build

BadBert

Post by BadBert » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:53 am

i have not seen any pictures... no.... just video's of a closed version, but that uses the standard adapter that comes with the screen (according to the builder)...

we'll see. i have no problem making a hole in the back, as the cartrige wil be a dummy :)
My first GBZ build -=HERE=- -> Became a gift to my little brother!
My 2nd GBZ build -=WIP HERE=- -> going with HDMI!

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:07 am

BadBert wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:53 am
i have not seen any pictures... no.... just video's of a closed version, but that uses the standard adapter that comes with the screen (according to the builder)...

we'll see. i have no problem making a hole in the back, as the cartrige wil be a dummy :)
i'm not surprised no ones shown the inside if thats the option to butcher the back..

if you hollow out the top of the back case you'll be fine....

personally for me thats not what i'm aiming for.... my cartridge is gonna be a dummy too (might have the status lights in it though)

but i'm not a fan of butchered builds (inside or out) the least case mods the better...
its one of the reasons i think the 1UP builds are let down by the whole DIY look it has.... either with an ethernet port expose (which no ones ever gonna use) or with screws on the side holding it together (my own opinion)

its the only challenge in the build for me, as i have everything else covered....

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:13 am

ok some progress.....

i've manage to get a batch of prototype made :) ....

just waiting for them to be shipped from China, will be able to confirm if this works out when they arrive.....

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:17 am

I must have missed something... what are you planning to do with a dual HDMI connector :?:
Follow me on instagram Image

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:20 am

YaYa wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:17 am
I must have missed something... what are you planning to do with a dual HDMI connector :?:
if you read the previous posts its all in there.....

the adapter provided with the screen is a little too big (it will fit but mods to the rear case will have to be done)

this is something similar to what 1UP uses in his HDMI builds