Saving the battery bay

Got an idea for a project? Found a cool project you want to share? Post it here!
girlsome

Saving the battery bay

Post by girlsome » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:38 pm

Anyone thought about trying to save the battery bay? All of my parts haven’t come in yet but I’m thinking of ditching the teensy and extra microusb breakout board to make more room for the remaining components.

I looked pics others have posted and looks like everyone has drilled/cut out parts of it so far.

I’m thinking about buying 3-4 14500 lithium ion cells, soldering them together with a power management circuit and a jst connector and using the battery bay to house it.

Should give me the same capacity as the battery used in the build in a form factor that already fits in the DMG.

Here the battery:

rodocop

Re: Saving the battery bay

Post by rodocop » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:20 am

Can't see the battery. But there have been multiple builds that i have seen that have left the battery bay intact. You should be fine to leave it.

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:20 am

Can't see the battery too...

I didn't take any of the parts of the battery tray. I'l using a Samsung Galaxy S2/i9100 battery (boosted capacity) 4800mAh cell phone hard case battery.
It fits well if you shave left and right parts of the battery shell by about 0.5mm each side.
I'll soon post pictures to show the work.
Follow me on instagram Image

MadModder

Post by MadModder » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:40 pm

I'm sitting here checking out my OG game boy (never getting modded, had it for too long) and im looking at the battery bay now. I bet you could get away with it pretty easy, you could probably use the existing hole in it to thread wires and such through. i would probably mod the battery bay though, at least sanding down the ridges between batteries and maybe removing the spring contacts for more wiggle room. I havent built one of these yet. But am doing a crap load of research.