GBA SPi-Zero with custom AIO board [Battery Update]

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
Elmafioso90
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:09 pm
Has thanked: 26 times
Been thanked: 18 times

Re: GBA SPi-Zero with custom AIO board

Post by Elmafioso90 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:59 am

Once I finish the GBZ I wouldn't mind to build one of these. I would be taking one of your boards if you get them up for sale.

Impressive job there!

User avatar
RogerX
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:59 am
Location: Cleveland, OH, USA
Has thanked: 120 times
Been thanked: 53 times
Contact:

Re: GBA SPi-Zero with custom AIO board

Post by RogerX » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:21 am

If you keep the price with screen under $120, you should be able to sell plenty, including at least one to me :)
-RogerX
Instagram & Twitter: @iamroot ( http://instagram.com/iamroot )
sudomod Discord: Roger the Bananaman

User avatar
YaYa
Posts: 1719
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:42 pm
Location: brittany - France
Has thanked: 871 times
Been thanked: 688 times
Contact:

Re: GBA SPi-Zero with custom AIO board

Post by YaYa » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:22 am

RogerX wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:21 am
If you keep the price with screen under $120, you should be able to sell plenty, including at least one to me :)
How can he keep the price under 120€ as all the pieces bought together costs 120€ ? :roll:
Follow me on instagram Image

User avatar
RogerX
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:59 am
Location: Cleveland, OH, USA
Has thanked: 120 times
Been thanked: 53 times
Contact:

Re: GBA SPi-Zero with custom AIO board

Post by RogerX » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:28 pm

YaYa wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:22 am
RogerX wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:21 am
If you keep the price with screen under $120, you should be able to sell plenty, including at least one to me :)
How can he keep the price under 120€ as all the pieces bought together costs 120€ ? :roll:
I'm sorry, I didn't see the costs listed... did he post that somewhere? :(

But also if you are prototyping an buying a few parts, it's tremendously more expensive than getting a hundred made.
-RogerX
Instagram & Twitter: @iamroot ( http://instagram.com/iamroot )
sudomod Discord: Roger the Bananaman

User avatar
YaYa
Posts: 1719
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:42 pm
Location: brittany - France
Has thanked: 871 times
Been thanked: 688 times
Contact:

Re: GBA SPi-Zero with custom AIO board

Post by YaYa » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:36 pm

No he didn't posted any part list nor price, but from my experience i know this would cost around 120€.
Like the MintyPi... you think ohhhh it is so small, this won't cost too much lol but it's 120€ just for parts lol
Follow me on instagram Image

desoudius3
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed May 17, 2017 11:20 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: GBA SPi-Zero with custom AIO board

Post by desoudius3 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:37 pm

Verry Nice !

But how is the lcd still working after you removed capacitors and else ?

codeman0624
Posts: 109
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:19 am
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 74 times

Re: GBA SPi-Zero with custom AIO board

Post by codeman0624 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:47 pm

RogerX wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:28 pm
YaYa wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:22 am
RogerX wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:21 am
If you keep the price with screen under $120, you should be able to sell plenty, including at least one to me :)
How can he keep the price under 120€ as all the pieces bought together costs 120€ ? :roll:
I'm sorry, I didn't see the costs listed... did he post that somewhere? :(

But also if you are prototyping an buying a few parts, it's tremendously more expensive than getting a hundred made.
No, I have not posted the parts or the cost of anything yet. But unfortunately it is not going to be possible to get it to $120 including a screen. The screen is just a standard BW screen, so anyone can get it. This is unfortunately a pretty expensive board, because:
  • Expensive fancy battery monitoring chip
  • Reasonably expensive step-up regulator...needed a more complicated chip to be able to use a smaller inductor to meet the height requirements
  • I2S chip sounds really nice because it's digital audio, better than PWM, but it's also expensive
  • Proper fitting tactile switches were hard to find and are not cheap
  • I'm an engineer and like to make cool things, so I don't think about the price aspect
All that being said, I'm also attempting to add a SPI screen option to the next revision of my board. Then I'll start gauging interest on who would be interested in the price point I calculate.

codeman0624
Posts: 109
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:19 am
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 74 times

Re: GBA SPi-Zero with custom AIO board

Post by codeman0624 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:51 pm

desoudius3 wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:37 pm
Verry Nice !

But how is the lcd still working after you removed capacitors and else ?
I was able to back engineer what the board was doing, and what parts were not really necessary. The BW screen is intended to plug into the 12V jack in a car, so it needed a lot of input filtering and a step down converter to get the 5V. I'm providing it a nice clean 5V so the extra input inductor and capacitors were not necessary, and the step down regulator was removed.

There's a boost regulator on there also, but i was able to find thinner replacement components (inductor and diode) of the same values. I also replaced the oscillator with a different 27MHz crystal.

Not an easy undertaking, but was necessary to be able to fit it into the shell

User avatar
YaYa
Posts: 1719
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:42 pm
Location: brittany - France
Has thanked: 871 times
Been thanked: 688 times
Contact:

Re: GBA SPi-Zero with custom AIO board

Post by YaYa » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:02 pm

Awesome job ! Bravo !!!
Follow me on instagram Image

codeman0624
Posts: 109
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:19 am
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 74 times

Re: GBA SPi-Zero with custom AIO board [Battery Update]

Post by codeman0624 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:17 am

Updated the OP with battery news

Was able to get the adafruit 2000mAh battery to fit! This will get a pretty decent play time

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest