Game Boy Zero case CAD files

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
neolith

Re: Game Boy Zero case CAD files

Post by neolith » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:32 am

moooarcuuuus wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:27 pm
Kite uploaded a dxf with the outlines from his board. You should use it to desgin your case.

http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 314#p38391

There are small tricky things, not really bad, but unexpected. The AB-YX square is no square, it is a parallelogramm.
Oh, that's interesting! Thanks for pointing this out!

Since I haven't received my SAIO yet, I had to guess about the buttons and always assumed a perfect square.
Judging from your screenshots I'd say the offset is minimal. Since the contacts on the SAIO seem to be quite large, would you say that this could create technical problems or would it be more of an aesthetical choice? I don't have any experience in this. :?

What bugs me more is that I seem to have misplaced some of the pins on the inside by up to 2mm. Also the pins for the new button wells must be removed, I didn't take into account that the SAIO doesn't have holes for them. I'll download the .DXF for the PCB and fix these tings ASAP.
– "The biggest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." –

moooarcuuuus

Post by moooarcuuuus » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:46 am

I dont think there will be contact problems, the drift on XY is ca 0,65mm. But it is not god for a new case. In the construction business is a golden rule: never use the tolerances of the production already in the construction.
Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep... Game Over

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:30 am

Ok, box printed. I still need to find some glue to glue the last warapping.
I tried to cut with my hobbyist knife but i didn't press enough so it's not sharp cutted.
Also the box is bigger (printed with the fit entire page option checked) just for a test run to see how everything is coming.

Things to improve :
- better knife for cutting
- print on high glossy cardboard, the mate render does not suits my expectations
- print on a 350 cardboard instead of 300, will give more roughness to the assembly

SpoilerShow
IMG_0374.JPG
IMG_0374.JPG (3.18 MiB) Viewed 8588 times
IMG_0375.JPG
IMG_0375.JPG (2.11 MiB) Viewed 8588 times
IMG_0376.JPG
IMG_0376.JPG (2.89 MiB) Viewed 8588 times
IMG_0378.JPG
IMG_0378.JPG (2.07 MiB) Viewed 8588 times
IMG_0379.JPG
IMG_0379.JPG (3.41 MiB) Viewed 8588 times
IMG_0380.JPG
IMG_0380.JPG (3.49 MiB) Viewed 8588 times
IMG_0381.JPG
IMG_0381.JPG (3.9 MiB) Viewed 8588 times
IMG_0382.JPG
IMG_0382.JPG (2.01 MiB) Viewed 8588 times
IMG_0383.JPG
IMG_0383.JPG (2.27 MiB) Viewed 8588 times
IMG_0384.JPG
IMG_0384.JPG (2.35 MiB) Viewed 8588 times
Follow me on instagram Image

AWildTyphlosion

Post by AWildTyphlosion » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:53 am

Shouldn't there be threading here? Image

neolith

Post by neolith » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:40 pm

@kite:

Thanks for the info! :)
I'll take a look at it this weekend.

@YaYa:

That looks cool! How big is the box?

Regarding knives for cutting – I don't know how your experience with these is and I don't know if you are interested in any advice, so feel free to ignore the following :lol: :
Don't get an ordinary x-acto knife, get a surgical blade! I've had to build a lot of mockup cases, leaflets, booklets and the like during my time at university and in my first job and I think they'll give you the best results. The handle is a lot thinner and not round but flat which allows you to control the cut much better than a round handle does. The side opposite of the blade is also usually flattened a bit more and can be used to easily dent the paper where you plan to fold it. The blades themselves are incredibly sharp, go through flesh and tendons like butter and can even cause serious damage to your bones – so watch your fingers! You can get them (usually labeled 'non sterile surgical blades') rounded or with a pointed tip. The pointed ones are far better for cutting paper. The handle will set you back around 5€ and the blades are usually sold in batches of ten for about 2€. Art supply stores should stock them.
And while you are at it, get a thick metal ruler, if you don't own one. It can withstand the blade and will allow you to put enough pressure to securely hold down the paper while cutting.
I see you already have a good cutting pad. :)

Metal ruler (aluminium in this case), x-acto knife, surgical knife with pointed blade and a rounded blade. (sorry for the picture quality)

@AWildTyphlosion:

The Game Boy cases don't have proper threading, only holes tight enough so that the screws cut into the plastic themselves. I did model the holes but suppressed them before export as YaYa suggested on page one. Drilling holes might not only give you cleaner results as a print but will also let you freely choose the diameter for your screws. If you prefer the ones I modeled, I can activate them for the next export. I haven't tested them though.
– "The biggest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." –

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:01 pm

Thank you for all the informations !
I already own a big ruler (50cm) and a small one (20cm) both from Facom :mrgreen: . As you noticed, the cutting pad is good yes.i have cutted many stuff on it and it is still scarves less.
I know the surgical knives but it's been a really long time since i didn't use one.

I'm gonna follow your advice and buy one. I remember how sharp and dangerous they were lol.

The box is actually around 20cm instead of 15cm.

moooarcuuuus

Post by moooarcuuuus » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:20 pm

Attachments
IMG_20170817_180141.jpg
IMG_20170817_180141.jpg (809.89 KiB) Viewed 8515 times
IMG_20170817_180115.jpg
IMG_20170817_180115.jpg (811.74 KiB) Viewed 8515 times
Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep... Game Over

neolith

Post by neolith » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:10 pm

I've updated the first post with new downloads and pictures.

I moved a lot of the things on the inside of the front shell slightly around so that it should fit the SAIO way better now.

Also the download now includes models for the x-pad, the AB-buttons, the on/off switch and the plug for the EXT.CONNECTOR slot. Just in case anyone ever wants to print those as well. The additional models are located at the origin, so you might want to re-position or delete them for printing. The .STLs have them all as separate files.

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:41 pm

If i was a cheerleader, i would spell you name in a great choreography :lol: :lol:

Thank you !

neolith

Post by neolith » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:02 am

YaYa wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:41 pm
If i was a cheerleader, i would spell you name in a great choreography :lol: :lol:

Thank you !
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks, I am glad that you find the files usefull. :)