Parts Assembly

Having trouble with your GBZ build? Ask your questions here!
MuadDib

Parts Assembly

Post by MuadDib » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:08 pm

Hi everyone. Being a total noob and waiting on parts in the mail, I wanted to make sure I wasn't forgetting anything. I know this is asking a lot, but I'm worried I won't have anything ready to go. Aside from wire and the DMG housing materials, does my order list look like its missing anything?

- Raspberry PI Zero W
- PCB from Kitsch-Bent
- Teensy LC
- Battery (with extension cable) from Adafruit
- 1000C Battery Boost from Adafruit
- TFT Screen
- Micro USB breakout from Sparkfun
- Speaker
- Volume wheel
- Speaker Amplifier from Adafruit
- Powerstrip PCB
- SD card and SD card adapter
- DS lite GBA reader
- Headphone jack
- USB ports
- Safe Powerswitch
- Tactile push buttons for L/R

salami738

Re: Parts Assembly

Post by salami738 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:51 am

Hi,

- Soldering iron
- Solder
- 3D prints or hotglue
- Battery power indicator (so you can see the remaining power from the outside)
- Safe Shutdown board (optional)
- Extra Buttons for X/Y, conductive rubber pads

greetings from germany

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:20 am

The safe shutdown board is optionnal but highly recommended to avoid damage to the SD card by repetitive on/off. This could lead to permanent loss of the SD or data loss. Or you can, every time, use the menu system to properly shut down the device within Emulation station.
Follow me on instagram Image

ICMF

Post by ICMF » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:53 am

You've got a Teensy plus USB breakout and USB plugs. If you're planning to use more than one USB device, you'll need a USB hub.

I'd suggest getting a PRStech cartridge PCB if you're trying to make a functional cartridge. It seems to eliminate a lot of the headaches.

How are you doing audio? The amp just boosts the signal enough to drive the speaker, but you'll need another device to actually get the signal off the Pi, to the amp. You can use a USB sound card or you can get it from the GPIO pins. If you want to use a sound card, you'll need the card, plus a USB hub so you can connect both the teensy and the sound card. If you're using GPIO pins, you'll probably want to look into a PWM audio filter - a couple of resistors, a couple of capacitors and a PCB (search for PWM filter and you'll find a bunch of threads).

MuadDib

Post by MuadDib » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:31 pm

ICMF wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:53 am
You've got a Teensy plus USB breakout and USB plugs. If you're planning to use more than one USB device, you'll need a USB hub.

I'd suggest getting a PRStech cartridge PCB if you're trying to make a functional cartridge. It seems to eliminate a lot of the headaches.

How are you doing audio? The amp just boosts the signal enough to drive the speaker, but you'll need another device to actually get the signal off the Pi, to the amp. You can use a USB sound card or you can get it from the GPIO pins. If you want to use a sound card, you'll need the card, plus a USB hub so you can connect both the teensy and the sound card. If you're using GPIO pins, you'll probably want to look into a PWM audio filter - a couple of resistors, a couple of capacitors and a PCB (search for PWM filter and you'll find a bunch of threads).
Thanks for that! Since my post, I've actually already added a USB sound card with a USB hub to my shopping cart. I've also already purchased the cartridge PCB so I think I'm sitting pretty now. I'm a little worried about the soldering and dremelling, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

ICMF

Post by ICMF » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:41 pm

Soldering... if you're concerned, I'd suggest getting a couple of inexpensive electronics kits to practice on. (see the guide to soldering kits)

Dremelling... I'm a big proponent of hand tools for tasks like this. Dremels spin too fast, with too much torque to cut plastic. They'll do the job quickly, but they'll do a poor job of it, in most peoples' hands. You can use a motor tool to rough out the screen opening, but I'd strongly suggest getting some jeweller's file - or even sand paper on a sanding block - to finish the job. It's a slower process, so you'll have more control to remove exactly the amount of material you want, and it'll give you a cleaner, straighter edge.