Automatic wifi setup not working

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
theabstractpyro

Automatic wifi setup not working

Post by theabstractpyro » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:19 pm

so I have been working on a mintyPi for a while now and I like to think that mostly it has been going ok. I have finished almost everything, (aside from stuff with the sound card) but then I got the setting up the wifi. I used Etcher (the program that is recommended in the written guide) to put a copy of retroPi onto an SD card, but when I got to the part in the guide where it says to go into the file called “wpa_supplicant.conf” and put in your wifi name and password, so that when you put the sd card back into the Raspberry Pi it would automatically connect to the network, everything stopped going all right. I entered my wifi name and the password and put it into the pi, but when I went to wifi in settings and selected the option to import wifi, it said that "/boot/wifikeyfile.txt was not found. also, there was some black screen with some code on it that said "failed to attach to default card" and also had some audio error on it, but the audio error that was probably because I didn't have the sound card plugged in. now the file "wpa_supplicant.conf" isn't even showing up on the sd card when I plug it into my computer. I tried re-installing everything twice and completely cleaning the micro sd card with some built-in program on windows that I found a tutorial to online called "diskpart" and disk manager, but still no luck. There is probably some really simple error that I'm not caching because I am completely new to the whole DIY stuff, so please help!

(one thing that I think might not be important but I thought that I would mention is that when I put my wifi name and passcode in the file “wpa_supplicant.conf”, I used notepad to open it, which changed the icon and mabby some other stuff, I don't think that it madders, but I thought that I would mention it just in case it was important)

dryja123

Re: aromatic wifi setup not working

Post by dryja123 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:39 am

The wpa_supplicant file will dissappear after you boot the Pi for the first time, so thats normal. You do not need to use the import wifi settings through retropie. Make sure the authentication protocol matches on the file and your wireless router; WEP authentication VS WPA.

Regarding the audio card, are you getting a splash screen with sound when you boot? If not, your card isn't connected to the Pi properly. Did you test the sound card according to Wermy's guide before you removed the USB port? Pictures could help us diagnose your sound card problems.

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:02 am

if you are struggling with your wifi, give a try to my tutorial here
viewtopic.php?t=3567&view=unread#unread
Follow me on instagram Image

theabstractpyro

Post by theabstractpyro » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:24 pm

I tested out the sound card by plugging it into my pc, but I couldn't hear anything. I just thought this was because my pc wasn't working because a lot of headphones and speakers don't work with it, and it was a brand new card that I had never done anything with. I completely ruined the card trying to remove the USB and headphone jack and didn't have an adapter to test it out, so I didn't have it plugged into the rassberyPi while testing. I thought that that was the reason for the audio error, but not the other one.

I have some pictures, the first is the error I get from going into wifi settings, the second is the next thing that comes up after I waited for a while, (which I assume is the wifi settings page) then next one is the error I get when I try to import wifi settings, and the last one is my broken sound card (the reson it is broken is one of the 4 things (sorry I dont know what they are called) that would have been conected to the usb came off while I was takeing it apart, so i couldn't solder a wire to it, and the same thing happend to one of the holes that use to connect to the headphone jack)
Attachments
IMG_1865[1].JPG
IMG_1865[1].JPG (2.26 MiB) Viewed 8952 times
IMG_1875[1].JPG
IMG_1875[1].JPG (2.49 MiB) Viewed 8952 times
IMG_1883[1].JPG
IMG_1883[1].JPG (3.38 MiB) Viewed 8952 times
IMG_1884[1].JPG
IMG_1884[1].JPG (4.96 MiB) Viewed 8952 times

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:39 am

The wiring for your sound is definitely incomplete try following this guide here:

There are also alternate points if you screw some up:

and finally you are already connected to the wifi as seen in your picture so you don;t need to import anything:
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

ICMF

Post by ICMF » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:43 pm

theabstractpyro wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:19 pm
aromatic wifi setup not working
Well that stinks.

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:45 pm

:lol:

theabstractpyro

Re: Automatic wifi setup not working

Post by theabstractpyro » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:32 pm

sorry for wasting your time! this has really helped, and hopefully I can finish the project!

YaYa

Re: Automatic wifi setup not working

Post by YaYa » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:40 pm

Don’t be sorry, many people here are really willing to help others... feel free to ask whenever you need