[SOLVED] No sound

Resolved mintyPi issues go here. Search this section first before creating a new support thread!
Thealexbeast

[SOLVED] No sound

Post by Thealexbeast » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:17 pm

Hello!

I just recently got my minty pi mostly assembled and everything seems to be working accept for sound. Nothing seems to be coming out of the speaker. Before getting into my wiring, I found that the system volume in retropi was at 0, and i was unable to change it using the methods it showed on screen, at least so far as i could figure out. Could this be why im not getting any sound and if so Can some one guide me on how to change it?

EDIT: Hold off on answering that, i had forgotten i actually didnt get continuity on my right button and forgot to go back and fix it. Addressing this first and will edit/delete if necessary.

EDIT 2: Ok i can now adjust the system volume setting in retropi , however still no sound. As soon as i back out of the sound options menu and go back in, system sound is set back to 0 so i am still curious if this could be a source of issue. I will upload pictures of my wiring and post again here shortly.

Thanks.

Thealexbeast

Re: No sound

Post by Thealexbeast » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:19 pm

These are pictures of my wiring. Everything is connected to the proper place according to this diagram

https://media.discordapp.net/attachment ... height=423

USB connections on the pi
SpoilerShow
Sound Card to PCB
SpoilerShow
Speaker connections to PCB
SpoilerShow
Speaker Wires
SpoilerShow
Sound Card
SpoilerShow
Please let me know if you see anything wrong or damaged. Everything else on my build seems to be working great so far!

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:58 am

First thought. Check the data lines to the pi. You have a lot of exposed wire and the black wire looks like it may be touching the small hole to the right. Make sure there are no shorts there. Everything else seems fine.

Also noticed that you have no photos of the speaker connection from the sound card. I see you have 4 wires up up. And the jumper wire on the bottom. I also expect to see two wires coming off the bottom of the sound card.

Also note. Your photobucket links do not work here. I had to open the link in a new tab.
Last edited by rodocop on Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:04 am

Also I just noticed you have a photo showing two wires connected to gnd and btn. That is meant for your function button. On the opposite end of the pcb there is an aud in aud gnd pad.

That's where the speaker is meant to connect. Those pad connect with the speaker pads on the front.

Thealexbeast

Post by Thealexbeast » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:04 am

Apparently photobucket now wants 400$ a year to host images, this is new to me :/

I found out late last night that the wiring diagram I had been using was incomplete, it lacked the connections from the sound card to the PCB for the actual audio itself, I got those added last night and still wasnt getting anything. I re-added them this morning after i figured out that i did not give the wires enough length, and redid the connections to the usb on the PI as per robocobs suggestions, this is what it looks like now.

Also the picture of the function button pads was included by mistake, I thought I had corrected that. Nothing is wired from the soundcard to the function button.

ALl of this still seems to have hot changed anything. I am not hearing anything from the speaker. What are the chances of the sound card being bad or damaged? I was unable to test it before all of the work I did to it because I do not have the cable to connect it to the Pi.

Terrible angle of the soundcard..
SpoilerShow
The whole mess as of right now
SpoilerShow
Redo of the USB solderings.
SpoilerShow

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:18 am

wiring seems to be okay. There is a possibility the sound card could be bad, or the speaker itself. If you have an extra speaker you can try that, and see what happens.

when the pi is on go to the termial, and type:

lsusb

it will list the current usb devices, see what it says. If it isn't detected could be an issue with the card itself.

Also, i'd double check that red wire in the last picture. there is a lot of exposed wire and it is going above that small hole, if there is contact there it may cause things to not work properly.

Thealexbeast

Post by Thealexbeast » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:45 am

I unfortunately do not have a bluetooth keyboard at this point in time. However as i am swapping between menus in retropie, in between when i can see what i think is the console it is displaying an audio error

AudioManager Error - Unable to open SDL audio: ALSA: couldnt open audio device...(goes of screen)
...such a file or directory

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:14 am

So yeah. It isnt detecting it. Gotta be a wiring issue or the sound card is bad.

If you have no keyboard you can do a headless Wi-Fi set up and use putty to access the terminal from your pc.

Thealexbeast

Post by Thealexbeast » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:46 pm

Ok so i didnt even think to check the continuity of the wires i soldered on(this is my first electronics project, these things arent natural to me yet haha). I found some issues and thought i resolved them but still no sound. I managed to SSH into it and run the lsusb command and got this

Bus 001 Device 001: ID ld6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

That doesnt sound like a sound card to me, so im gonna go back and check my wires again.

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:58 pm

yeah, that isn't the sound card for sure, I don't remember what it is called. Since you are getting the error stated above, and you also see nothing in the lsusb you have a) a card that doesn't work, or b) an issue with the wiring.

In your testing are you powering the pi via the micro usb? I do not see a battery or charger. If that is the case make sure you have proper continuity on the gnd and 5v pads on the PCB and the corresponding GPIO's on the pi), since that is where the sound card will be getting power. (if the pi is getting power via micro usb, but it not connected to the PCB properly the PCB will not get any power. I also see no screen attached, can I assume the screen works as well, or are you testing via HDMI?