Is this under extruding or possible bad filament

Need help with or have a question about your 3d printer? Ask it here!
goodBEan

Is this under extruding or possible bad filament

Post by goodBEan » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:42 pm

I just got a new roll of white pla as a refil and the thing is that even the box says its the same it does have a weird grippy texture instead of smooth. I did try doing a few prints and honestly I am not sure what to make of the results. It looks like its coming out to thin or not melting all the way. These pics are taken after the first 2 or 3 layers. Is this underextruding. I am still printing at my usual settings. I have a few theories in my mind but I am not sure.

extruder at 215 f
bed at 70
speed at 50mm/s

photos : https://imgur.com/a/dwqZf

DeltaShadow

Re: Is this under extruding or possible bad filament

Post by DeltaShadow » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:01 am

1. What printer are you using
2. filament brand and exact type

Sounds/looks like the filament may have a higher extrude temp then what you are using.

goodBEan

Post by goodBEan » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:38 am

Printer: http://www.microcenter.com/product/4865 ... 3D_Printer
filament http://www.microcenter.com/product/4856 ... t+Together

If need be I can get the profiles if needed when I get home. It should be the same white filament that I have been using.

DeltaShadow

Post by DeltaShadow » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:53 am

Hello I have a similar printer. Try printing closer to the higher end of the temperatures page says print 205-225 C. Try at 225 C and see if your print quality improves.

ICMF

Post by ICMF » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:10 am

goodBEan wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:42 pm
extruder at 215 f
bed at 70
speed at 50mm/s
I'm guessing you mean 215 C; 215 F would be way too low. :) I'd say your bed temperature is too high for PLA, too, but that's not going to cause this problem. Speed is fine, too, assuming you're satisfied with the print quality.

Few thoughts...

It's probably not the filament. It's almost never the filament.
Are you sure it's PLA? It's not something else (ABS, ASA, PETG, TPU, "soft PLA") that was picked up by mistake, or shipped in the wrong box? The 'grippy texture' sounds odd. (what do you mean by "grippy"?)
Did you measure the filament? Is it within spec, and have you calibrated your extrusion multiplier?
Have you tried increasing your nozzle temperature? Try printing at 215/220/225/230 and seeing if it flows better.
Is the extruder motor skipping? You should hear a clicking sound if it can't feed the filament. If it's not clicking, it's probably not backing up in the printer, which means it's probably feeding fine.
Have you tried cleaning the nozzle to make sure there are no blockages? Try doing a cold pull to make sure it comes out cleanly.
Have you calibrated your bed level? Your print lines look pretty round, and I'm seeing several strands that seem to have shifted around on the bed, which suggests your nozzle is too far from the print bed. You need this to be as close to perfect as possible - if the printer thinks it's printing a .2mm layer but it's actually .25 or .3mm from the bed, you will have problems.
With a properly calibrated bed level/nozzle height, you shouldn't actually need glue on the bed. PLA will stick fine on a 50 - 60`C glass bed. If you're having problems on a 70`C glass bed to the extent that you need glue, again, that suggests your nozzle is too far from the bed.

goodBEan

Post by goodBEan » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:31 pm

ICMF wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:10 am

I'm guessing you mean 215 C; 215 F would be way too low. :) I'd say your bed temperature is too high for PLA, too, but that's not going to cause this problem. Speed is fine, too, assuming you're satisfied with the print quality.

Few thoughts...

Are you sure it's PLA? It's not something else (ABS, ASA, PETG, TPU, "soft PLA") that was picked up by mistake, or shipped in the wrong box? The 'grippy texture' sounds odd. (what do you mean by "grippy"?)
Did you measure the filament? Is it within spec, and have you calibrated your extrusion multiplier?
Have you tried increasing your nozzle temperature? Try printing at 215/220/225/230 and seeing if it flows better.
Is the extruder motor skipping? You should hear a clicking sound if it can't feed the filament. If it's not clicking, it's probably not backing up in the printer, which means it's probably feeding fine.
Have you tried cleaning the nozzle to make sure there are no blockages? Try doing a cold pull to make sure it comes out cleanly.
Have you calibrated your bed level? Your print lines look pretty round, and I'm seeing several strands that seem to have shifted around on the bed, which suggests your nozzle is too far from the print bed. You need this to be as close to perfect as possible - if the printer thinks it's printing a .2mm layer but it's actually .25 or .3mm from the bed, you will have problems.
With a properly calibrated bed level/nozzle height, you shouldn't actually need glue on the bed. PLA will stick fine on a 50 - 60`C glass bed. If you're having problems on a 70`C glass bed to the extent that you need glue, again, that suggests your nozzle is too far from the bed.
that is not a few LOL

Its labeled as pla just like my previous roll, I even checked upc codes. I did check diameter and its the same. The 2 main differences was the shape of the spindal, and the feeling of the filament. The white pla I had before was smooth, this new roll is a bit rough. I did try upping the temp to 225. I know at the least its not abs since I snipped off a piece and it did not melt in acetone. I already had cleared out the nozle so I know there is not any jams. Not hearing any noises. I know the bed is good since I did a good abs print yesturday.

I am waiting on a few parts so that I can make the bed more adjustable that might help. I also might try extruding at higher temps.

DeltaShadow

Post by DeltaShadow » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:43 pm

goodBEan wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:31 pm
ICMF wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:10 am

Few thoughts...

that is not a few LOL

Its labeled as pla just like my previous roll, I even checked upc codes. I did check diameter and its the same. The 2 main differences was the shape of the spindal, and the feeling of the filament. The white pla I had before was smooth, this new roll is a bit rough. I did try upping the temp to 225. I know at the least its not abs since I snipped off a piece and it did not melt in acetone. I already had cleared out the nozle so I know there is not any jams. Not hearing any noises. I know the bed is good since I did a good abs print yesturday.

I am waiting on a few parts so that I can make the bed more adjustable that might help. I also might try extruding at higher temps.
was there any change at all with the higher temp?

goodBEan

Post by goodBEan » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:45 pm

DeltaShadow wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:43 pm

was there any change at all with the higher temp?
I am printing a test duck 235 c . I will let you know

Update I just noticed something weird. Its currently set to a temp of 235, but its hitting around 226-228, but so far it looks alot better than the duck I tried at around 215. I usually see a drop less than 5 degrees but this is a bit much.

ICMF

Post by ICMF » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:36 pm

goodBEan wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:31 pm
I know the bed is good since I did a good abs print yesturday.
How thick is your first layer - both actual thickness and layer setting in your slicer?

goodBEan

Post by goodBEan » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:45 pm

Its a failure. still kinda hollow, I cranked it all up as much as I could. Going to Microcenter to see if they can do something.
https://imgur.com/a/0xHuC