How to connect via ssh over wifi to your Pi from desktop computer without attached screen, or keyboard, or even buttons

Having trouble with your GBZ build? Ask your questions here!
zerogeek

Re: How to connect via ssh over wifi to your Pi from desktop computer without attached screen, or keyboard, or even butt

Post by zerogeek » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:58 am

I have been trying to get this to work for almost 2 days. I found out today that once I insert the card into the CSO, the "ssh" and "wpa_supplicant.conf" files disappear. I verified that they are still there after ejecting from my computer (OSX 10.13.3, using terminal and vi to make the files) and re-inserting. But once it's booted from the CSO and doesn't connect, I brought it back to the computer and the files are gone.

Ideas/suggestions not only welcome, but urgently desired! :D

YaYa

Re: How to connect via ssh over wifi to your Pi from desktop computer without attached screen, or keyboard, or even butt

Post by YaYa » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:53 am

It’s normal that thetly are gone as the system use the ssh file to a tivate ssh, and the wpa file to copy it to the netword configuration section ;)

But if does not work for you then :
- your wifi interface is broken
- your ssid is wrong
- your password is wrong
- your router does not accept connection from the pi

Choose from above lol
Follow me on instagram Image

zerogeek

Post by zerogeek » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:10 am

I set up a guest network with no encryption. I can see the network, but it will not connect. It is running on 2.4GHz 802.11 b/g. I am selecting the network within retropi WiFi, so I can't be selecting the wrong ssid and there is no password to worry about. I have even tried connecting to 2 different routers. UGH, so frustrating.
[EDIT TO ADD:]
I have also confirmed that I can connect to the new guest network with another device and am not out of IP addresses in my network.

zerogeek

Post by zerogeek » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:33 am

SOLVED

After MUCH searching, i ended up with the following for a wpa_supplicant.conf file. Connection works as expected. NOTE that I am connected to my main home network which is WPA2-PSK [AES]. I have not again tried the guest network, so I'm not sure what was happening there.

update_config=1

network={
ssid="replace_with_your_ssid"
psk="replace_with_your_password"
proto=RSN
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
pairwise=CCMP
group=CCMP
auth_alg=OPEN
}

tinkerBOY

Post by tinkerBOY » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:54 pm

I made a post, Raspberry Pi Headless Wifi Setup which works with the new raspberry pi image which requires you to setup your country location first before the wifi works.
New! tinkerBOY PowerSwitch v1.0 with Safe Shutdown
Game Boy Zero Controllers available @ tinkerBOY.xyz * Support
tinkerBOY Controller v3.0 - built-in usb controller, usb audio, and usb hub
tinkerBOY Controller v2.0 - GPIO buttons and builtin PWM Audio and Amplifier
tinkerBOY Controller v1.1 - simple pcb button
* DPI Adapter - better display for GBZ
* keyboard converters - IBM XT/AT Soarer's Converter | ADB to USB Converter

GigaCat

Post by GigaCat » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:41 pm

Also of note, the Zero/W only connects to 2.4ghz wireless networks, so if you're entering 5ghz info into wpa_supplicant.conf and it doesn't work/you get interface issues when trying to change wifi settings in raspi-config, that's one likely reason.