Digital Volume Controller Switch - fitting

markolomew

Digital Volume Controller Switch - fitting

Post by markolomew » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:52 am

On the Circuit Sword PCB, there is an option to fit a Digital Volume Controller switch. I'm noticing where it is located, it is sitting a little too recessed in the case and in order for the user to be able to actually use it, you have to file down the outside of the case a little so that it slopes inward towards the switch to work.

Has anyone else attempted this mod. I'd love to hear anyone's feedback or tricks that they found worked better.

Check out my builds: Click Here
Free .STL files for 3DS/PSP joystick cap mashup: Click Here
Check out my store, 8bitmark.com: Click Here

kite

Re: Digital Volume Controller Switch - fitting

Post by kite » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:52 am

Nice one! You could also do the same with 2x tactile buttons too, doesn't have to be that rocker.. I can move the land pattern outwards a bit so that if in newer boards you did solder it, it would poke out more :)
Stock clearance - CLOSED: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=12064
Kite's Mailing List: https://goo.gl/forms/e97uUvPOfUxPWdz82
Kite's FAQ: https://kiteretro.com/faq/

ImageImageImageImageImage

markolomew

Post by markolomew » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:59 am

kite wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:52 am
Nice one! You could also do the same with 2x tactile buttons too, doesn't have to be that rocker.. I can move the land pattern outwards a bit so that if in newer boards you did solder it, it would poke out more :)
I "could" put two tact switches, but I don't know if that would look/feel right. (Just in case, could you document which contact points on the PCB at the Digital Volume Control switch area I should connect for the Up and Down switch?)

I agree you should bump out the land pattern as much as possible. I've already bumped it out manually a little bit, but still had to file down the outside of the case to make it more exposed. On my next one, I am going to actually lay the switch out further then the solder pads, then solder over to it, to give me probably a few more mm more space.

I really do like the feel of the rocker though, so I think it is still best to tell people to use it.

kite

Post by kite » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:54 am

markolomew wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:59 am
kite wrote:
I "could" put two tact switches, but I don't know if that would look/feel right. (Just in case, could you document which contact points on the PCB at the Digital Volume Control switch area I should connect for the Up and Down switch?)

I agree you should bump out the land pattern as much as possible. I've already bumped it out manually a little bit, but still had to file down the outside of the case to make it more exposed. On my next one, I am going to actually lay the switch out further then the solder pads, then solder over to it, to give me probably a few more mm more space.

I really do like the feel of the rocker though, so I think it is still best to tell people to use it.
RX0 is UP
TX0 is DOWN

Basically it follows the pattern when looking at the board the right way up, that the one at the top is UP and one at bottom is DOWN :)

I'll see what I can do about moving it out more.

As a bonus if you push the switch IN, it acts as the MODE button :)

markolomew

Post by markolomew » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:43 pm

kite wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:54 am
RX0 is UP
TX0 is DOWN
Ok so, to make this work, the user would still need to cut the tracings, then solder two wires from the Digital Controller pad to RX0 and TX0, then another wire from RX0 and TX0 to the two tact buttons?? Or are you saying that you leave the entire Digital Controller pad section alone and just solder a wire from RX0 to the Volume Up tact, and solder another wire from TX0 to the Volume Down tact?

Which ground are you suggesting is used for these two then?

(I was wondering what the push-in button selection would trigger on the Digital Volume Control switch. nice move).

kite

Post by kite » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:50 pm

markolomew wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:43 pm
kite wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:54 am
RX0 is UP
TX0 is DOWN
Ok so, to make this work, the user would still need to cut the tracings, then solder two wires from the Digital Controller pad to RX0 and TX0, then another wire from RX0 and TX0 to the two tact buttons?? Or are you saying that you leave the entire Digital Controller pad section alone and just solder a wire from RX0 to the Volume Up tact, and solder another wire from TX0 to the Volume Down tact?

Which ground are you suggesting is used for these two then?

(I was wondering what the push-in button selection would trigger on the Digital Volume Control switch. nice move).
Yeah directly soldering to the RX0 and TX0 pads (no need to cut traces, that is only needed if you want to solder the rocker to that original location). You can use ANY gnd, probably nearer to where you are mounting the buttons.. if you don't have a GND, get a knife and scratch the PCB in a blank spot with no traces, and you'll expose the copper that you can directly solder to.. the whole thing is a giant GND plane :) but seeing as you asked, I've just added a new test pad for GND next to those points ;)

The new boards will have little solder jumpers so no need to cut traces in future

Adim01

Post by Adim01 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:16 pm

kite wrote:
Just out of curiosity did you in the now closed preoreder bumped those solder pands more outwards? ;)

kite

Post by kite » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:20 am

Adim01 wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:16 pm
kite wrote:
Just out of curiosity did you in the now closed preoreder bumped those solder pands more outwards? ;)
Indeed I have:

AL1/2 is the 'alternative' buttons pinout (that you can see markolomew soldered up with the wires) and CC1/2 is using the CC1/2 front buttons as it was stock.. i'm guessing most would use the AL1/2 really, because you can use 6 button with that

Adim01

Post by Adim01 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:42 am

kite wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:20 am
Adim01 wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:16 pm
kite wrote:
Indeed I have:

AL1/2 is the 'alternative' buttons pinout (that you can see markolomew soldered up with the wires) and CC1/2 is using the CC1/2 front buttons as it was stock.. i'm guessing most would use the AL1/2 really, because you can use 6 button with that
Yes and no, I was going for the jowstick in the middle so i wouldn't care but its the best to have those brigde pads for the people to decide what the want, and it doesn't involve too mjuch skill. :lol:

markolomew

Post by markolomew » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:00 pm

Here's an update. I've started positing all my Digital Volume Control switches further out past their spot on the PCB to add a little extra reach. I just pre-tin the switch pads, then pre-tin the pads on the PCB, then place the switch and wicking over Solder from the PCB pads to the switch pads. So far it seems to be working quite well. Makes resoldering the wire to the pads easier too since it's no longer underneath the switch!