[UPDATE] "Air duct" and "fan-mount" for kites circuit sword

Share your STL files, CAD design files, etc. here!
derebbe

Re: [WIP] Fan/blower bracket for kites circuit sword

Post by derebbe » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:44 am

Billy Blaze wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:50 pm
if you could, please also try to design a variant that will not affect the back half of the case. it would be nice to have an optional solution where one don't have to cut off the cartridge slot. I know this won't result in the optimal usage of the fans potential performance, but nevertheless.
Don't know if this will be possible at all since the space between the fan and the shall will be super narrow without cutting it... But ofc, I could lower the holder by some mm... I am also trying to design a solution which uses an air conduct which can be used to guide the warm air out of the case (with some modifications to the shell/case). Let's see how this works out :D

Jakewd

Re: [WIP] Fan/blower mount for kites circuit sword

Post by Jakewd » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:39 pm

Hi, I am in the process of assembling my gameboy using Kite's Circuit Sword and I found that when using the included switch/mode PCB and the 3D printed bracket HoolyHoo created https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=5321, the switch/mode PCB mount interferes with the fan mount. From the 3 pictures below the top right corner of the bracket is hitting the PCB/Mount.
IMG-0432.JPG
IMG-0432.JPG (1.77 MiB) Viewed 9601 times
IMG-0433.JPG
IMG-0433.JPG (1.45 MiB) Viewed 9601 times
IMG-0434.JPG
IMG-0434.JPG (1.65 MiB) Viewed 9601 times
But when I place the fan around 2-5 mm to the left (As shown below in the 2 pictures) it fits perfectly with room for it to be raised up (for better airflow from the exhaust of the fan) like it is in the original bracket.
IMG-0435.JPG
IMG-0435.JPG (1.91 MiB) Viewed 9601 times
IMG-0436.JPG
IMG-0436.JPG (1.58 MiB) Viewed 9601 times
If I tried I could probably convert the STL to a file I can modify in Fusion 360, but I though it was more appropriate to bring this to your attention since this is a work in progress. I believe if the bracket was modified by moving the PCB grips/clips over to the edge of the right side of bracket or maybe farther it would fix this issue.

Thanks for your hard work on this mount, it makes a very clean install inside my translucent case!

Jakewd

Post by Jakewd » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:42 pm

Very interesting HoolyHoo!

Do you plan on wiring the fan backwards to run in the opposite direction to suck instead of blow? Or do you plan on using it like a vent fan by pulling air out of the case near the CM3's heatsink to increase airflow around that area along with the whole case?

My fan sadly came damaged from shipping (Kite's already sent out a replacement for me :D !) so I cant see for myself what would happen, although I wonder if this would perform worse or better than a blow setup.

Interesting idea nonetheless!

HoolyHoo

Post by HoolyHoo » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:53 pm

Jakewd wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:42 pm
Very interesting HoolyHoo!

Do you plan on wiring the fan backwards to run in the opposite direction to suck instead of blow? Or do you plan on using it like a vent fan by pulling air out of the case near the CM3's heatsink to increase airflow around that area along with the whole case?

My fan sadly came damaged from shipping (Kite's already sent out a replacement for me :D !) so I cant see for myself what would happen, although I wonder if this would perform worse or better than a blow setup.

Interesting idea nonetheless!
Yes, the idea is to pull air from the heat sink and channel the hot air out the cartridge holes. The fan intake sits right now almost flush on top of the heat sink so it should work in theory. Still to be tested but that’s my thinking anyway.

Nicode70

Post by Nicode70 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:28 pm

@HoolyHoo the pictures above got me thinking: does your 4 button bracket play well with CM3 heat sink?
https://instagram.com/nicoGBPi
Nintendo ID: 0954-8664-4922

derebbe

Post by derebbe » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:05 am

So far I never tried my version of the holder together with the power-switch-bracket, but the current positioning of the fans was chosen after some wise advices from kite ;)

I am also working on a slightly different solution, here a preview https://www.instagram.com/p/BfdDx8GBxpp/ , lets see how this will end :D

Nicode70

Post by Nicode70 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:31 am

Jakewd wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:39 pm

But when I place the fan around 2-5 mm to the left (As shown below in the 2 pictures) it fits perfectly with room for it to be raised up (for better airflow from the exhaust of the fan) like it is in the original bracket.
Do you think that removing the top screw on Hoolyhoo's bracket could solve the problem without compromising the fixing of the power board to the bracket?

Jakewd

Post by Jakewd » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:41 am

derebbe wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:05 am
I am also working on a slightly different solution, here a preview https://www.instagram.com/p/BfdDx8GBxpp/ , lets see how this will end :D
I really like the design! It’s like a complement to HoolyHoo’s “suck” design while yours is a “blow” design.

I wonder what design would be more effective, as for me I have a slightly translucent orange case so the less 3D parts I have the cleaner my final product will look in my option. So I will see about possibly modifying your existing design to work with the switch bracket. I will post any success I have later today
Nicode70 wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:31 am

Do you think that removing the top screw on Hoolyhoo's bracket could solve the problem without compromising the fixing of the power board to the bracket?
The top screw of the bracket is in my opinion important for keeping the power switch securely mounted to the frame so it doesn’t wiggle around and gives it an authentic feel. It can probably be removed, but glue will be needed to hold it in place.

I do not plan on trying this since I would like to get as clean of a product as possible (with exceptions for my mess ups) and making enough room for the current fan bracket design will require modification to the PCB and bracket that I don’t have an interest in doing.

Nicode70

Post by Nicode70 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:00 am

Jakewd wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:41 am

The top screw of the bracket is in my opinion important for keeping the power switch securely mounted to the frame so it doesn’t wiggle around and gives it an authentic feel. It can probably be removed, but glue will be needed to hold it in place.

I do not plan on trying this since I would like to get as clean of a product as possible (with exceptions for my mess ups) and making enough room for the current fan bracket design will require modification to the PCB and bracket that I don’t have an interest in doing.

Ok, thank you. i think i'll pass on the fan bracket and stick it to the CM3. Maybe i'll drill holes in the cartridge to help with cooling.