USB Port Troubleshooting Help

Having trouble with your GBZ build? Ask your questions here!
Fin-Glim

USB Port Troubleshooting Help

Post by Fin-Glim » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:26 pm

Hey guys, I am working on my first GBZ build and am having a lot of trouble getting the external USB port to work. I am using Helder's AIO v2 and have been following Wermy's custom build guide. As far as I can tell I have followed all of the instructions. I have confirmed with my multimeter that the USB port is getting powered, but the jump drive does not flash when plugged in. I am at the step where you plug in the formatted USB to the pi so it can set up the folders for the roms. Any help is appreciated! I have attached a few images below.

Also, I have tried re-soldering, a new USB jack, twisting the wires more tightly, etc.
Attachments
IMG_9509.JPG
IMG_9509.JPG (1.79 MiB) Viewed 4585 times
IMG_9513.JPG
IMG_9513.JPG (1.67 MiB) Viewed 4585 times
IMG_9514.JPG
IMG_9514.JPG (1.99 MiB) Viewed 4585 times
IMG_9515.JPG
IMG_9515.JPG (2.24 MiB) Viewed 4585 times
IMG_9516.JPG
IMG_9516.JPG (2.22 MiB) Viewed 4585 times

PF21

Re: USB Port Troubleshooting Help

Post by PF21 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:53 pm

The method of using a USB drive to move files to and from the pi0 became obsolete when the pi0w was released. The current recommended method is to connect to your home wifi and use samba shares or SFTP to transfer your roms directly to your retropie flashed SD card. It's actually quite simple and you can find guides on YouTube.

Fyi, I have experienced the same issue with getting a USB to build the required folder structure or even recognize the folders when I manually built them. I never found a solution.

Fin-Glim

Post by Fin-Glim » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:56 pm

I appreciate you taking time to respond, but I'm not interested in using WiFi, nor does my pi0 support it. (I also don't want to get a dongle)
Thanks, G.

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:22 pm

Double check that pp22 and pp23 are not bridged. Also have a close look at pp23 and make sure there is no bridge between the pad and the hole beside it.

Fin-Glim

Post by Fin-Glim » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:05 pm

I can definitely check that, but I'd imagine that that part is ok since my buttons (d pad, abxy, etc.) are working. Is that a reasonable assumption?

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:55 pm

Yeah. If all other components on the board are working then it's likely not the issue. Try swapping the USB to another port on the board, also does a keyboard work or have you only tried the thumb drive? Maybe try another thumb drive? Sorry if that's not much help!

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:43 pm

Unfortunately a lot of thumb drives don't reliably work with the usb hub on the AIO. It has been a known issue for quite some time, you can try some of the usb fixes on the first post of my support thread to see if any of that helps.

If not, the use of a Wi-Fi dongle at least temporarily to transfer roms would be a good idea.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.