GB Null Kit

If you'd like to gauge interest in an idea before putting it into production, do it here!
Ampersand

Re: Game Boy Null Kit

Post by Ampersand » Tue May 08, 2018 7:43 am

That’s awesome. Thanks for looking into that.

So the the 3mm is the thickness of the top half and 5mm is a he bottom, is that correct?
No, the top and bottom use 3mm and 5mm together, here's a side view:
side view acrylic2.png
side view acrylic2.png (6.41 KiB) Viewed 6366 times
I'm sorry if the pics I used on Ponoko were misleading.

Italian77

Post by Italian77 » Tue May 08, 2018 9:19 am

No problem. Just curious.
My first Circuit Sword build - Custom Painted
https://sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=5855

xfx9500

Post by xfx9500 » Tue May 08, 2018 11:47 am

At least two boards :)

stewdeker

Post by stewdeker » Tue May 08, 2018 5:07 pm

I would be in for 2 or 3.

sygyzy

Post by sygyzy » Tue May 08, 2018 5:40 pm

With this extra Ponoko information, I would be interested in a kit. I hope they are made available before the offer expires. Also, even though we are sadly backwards and generally don't use metric, I wouldn't be surprised if the laser cutters can take metric. I do a lot of 3D printing and everything is in mm, as is a lot of other things dealing with electronics and mechanical items.

I also emailed them to see if they have 3 and 5mm acrylic in stock. Will you also have to adjust your files/toolpaths to standard instead of metric? That seems like the bigger issue to me.

Italian77

Post by Italian77 » Tue May 08, 2018 6:14 pm

sygyzy wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 5:40 pm
With this extra Ponoko information, I would be interested in a kit. I hope they are made available before the offer expires. Also, even though we are sadly backwards and generally don't use metric, I wouldn't be surprised if the laser cutters can take metric. I do a lot of 3D printing and everything is in mm, as is a lot of other things dealing with electronics and mechanical items.

I also emailed them to see if they have 3 and 5mm acrylic in stock. Will you also have to adjust your files/toolpaths to standard instead of metric? That seems like the bigger issue to me.
Good question. I went to the website to create the account, but did not even think about the metric conversion. I would not want to order the wrong thing.
My first Circuit Sword build - Custom Painted
https://sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=5855

ThompsonTinkers

Post by ThompsonTinkers » Tue May 08, 2018 6:23 pm

Looks like the screw holes are sized for M2.5 screws. Those should be readily available through McMaster-Carr (for Americans) or Amazon small parts.

That said, they should also accommodate a #4-40 SAE machine screw if you are stuck on that sort of thing.

If you are comfortable drilling, you can use the original hole as a pilot and widen it for #6-32. Use a sharp bit, support the work, and use light pressure and it will be fine. You’ll have to do the same to the PCB, but I don’t think you’d hit anything important.

Ampersand

Post by Ampersand » Tue May 08, 2018 7:08 pm

For the metric to imperial conversion, it only affects the thickness of the acrylic, the design files are just vectors so aren't affected.

There's a page on the Ponoko website that details the thicknesses in both metric and imperial https://www.ponoko.com/make-and-sell/sh ... ylic-clear
That page explains that the thickness can vary (even within the same sheet in my experience), but I've laid out the parts in the design file so that everything is close to the other parts that need to be the same thickness.
The 3mm sheet is equivalent to the 0.118 sheet.
I've suggested using the 0.220" sheet in place of the 5mm sheet, it's a bit thicker but will ensure there's enough clearance (it'll only be 1mm thicker overall).

Ampersand

Post by Ampersand » Tue May 08, 2018 7:12 pm

ThompsonTinkers wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 6:23 pm
Looks like the screw holes are sized for M2.5 screws. Those should be readily available through McMaster-Carr (for Americans) or Amazon small parts.

That said, they should also accommodate a #4-40 SAE machine screw if you are stuck on that sort of thing.

If you are comfortable drilling, you can use the original hole as a pilot and widen it for #6-32. Use a sharp bit, support the work, and use light pressure and it will be fine. You’ll have to do the same to the PCB, but I don’t think you’d hit anything important.
The holes are for M3 bolts.
The PCB has enough room around the holes if you wanted to widen them.

ThompsonTinkers

Post by ThompsonTinkers » Tue May 08, 2018 8:24 pm

Y'know, I was sure somebody asked about screws here.

I guess I just have fasteners on my mind.

(Use Robertson screws, everybody :lol:)