ili9341 SPI TFT Screen Connectors (for bare screens without boards)

Discussion about other hardware (including other Pi-like boards)
VeteranGamer

Re: ili9341 SPI TFT Screen Connectors (for bare screens without boards)

Post by VeteranGamer » Fri May 11, 2018 3:25 am

fdeluxe wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 1:23 am
VeteranGamer wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 1:08 am
however,
i've used Moospepr method on several builds now...
and even though the FPS isnt super high (i'm also dubious about the others that claim they've actually achieve 60FPS)

for the Pi0, the framerate is more than acceptable (but still has issues with tearing)...
considering the consoles and handhelds your emulating....
So you used Moosepeprs method on a pi0? I have a pi0 build with a SPI display and this is the performance I get:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNVLCSovz1c

Does using mooseprs method give any better results? I am really in love with the smaller displays since they maintain the original look and give a sharper imager (higher pixel densitiy)

personally i havent played with most of the builds i've made (especially those with SPI screens)...
primarily they've been either for my kids or for family & friends (and some i've sold)

on the face of it, they dont seem that bad...
especially as its the same method used in the mintyPi, and Helder and Wermy have sold well into the hundreds with no one really complaining about screen performance....

this is the results i got on one of my builds (Moosepr method)....
(i havent played the game before, so apologies for not providing a really in-depth look at the game play)

this screen isnt going to provide you with 60FPS....
but do you really need 60FPS on most of the games your emulating on the Pi Zero (personally i think you dont)...
(most of these games weren't even running at 60FPS on a CRT screen, when they first came out, especially not in Europe PAL)
(i'd hazard a guess that they were running around 30FPS, especially the 8bit variety and most 16bit games)

you can check your speed with Moosepr method (it might boost the FPS a little more)

Code: Select all

sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/fbtft.conf
anything around 90000000 will give you decent performance

fdeluxe

Post by fdeluxe » Fri May 11, 2018 7:26 am

Thank you very much for your efforts! Nice video! But it seems like my screen has a slightly better performance. I am using a watterot version of the screen. They come with their own driver. Maybe they are a little better optimized

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Fri May 11, 2018 7:53 am

fdeluxe wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 7:26 am
Thank you very much for your efforts! Nice video! But it seems like my screen has a slightly better performance. I am using a watterot version of the screen. They come with their own driver. Maybe they are a little better optimized
that's brilliant...
as long as your happy with it, that's the main thing.....

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Sat May 12, 2018 12:15 am

Post your driver so we can try it ourselves or atleast figure out the difference.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

fdeluxe

Post by fdeluxe » Fri May 18, 2018 4:12 am

Sorry guys. Didn't check on the forums for a few days. You can find the drivers on the manufactures website:

- FBFT driver: http://learn.watterott.com/rpi-display/fbtft-install/ and https://github.com/notro/fbtft/wiki#install
- Git: https://github.com/watterott/RPi-Display
- Knowledgebase: http://learn.watterott.com/rpi-display/

It seems they are using notros driver. So nothing special I guess. Maybe it's because I soldered my PiZero directly onto the display?
Note: For a higher speed than 16MHz the display has to be connected directly to the Raspberry Pi or with wires not longer than 5cm.

Choose your respective Kernel version. The default on the latest Raspbian is a Device Tree enabled Kernel.

fdeluxe

Post by fdeluxe » Sat May 19, 2018 3:21 am

Does this way of connecting the display provide aby possibility of adjusting the screen brightness?

KonnorJ

Post by KonnorJ » Sat May 19, 2018 2:44 pm

Do you have the footprint for the ili9341 screen ribbon by any chance?

Broomhill

Post by Broomhill » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:33 am

I'm a bit confused, I see 8 connections on the board but Moosepr's guide shows there are 9. Specifically, how is the connection for BL to pin12 accounted for?

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:09 am

Broomhill wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:33 am
I'm a bit confused, I see 8 connections on the board but Moosepr's guide shows there are 9. Specifically, how is the connection for BL to pin12 accounted for?

yes, Moosepr guide is comprehensive and shows a connection for the BL (LED).....

but the BL (LED) can be connected via the VCC, and doesn't have to be connected separately (these are options you have)

if you have a look at the board Moosepr has on Oshpark, it also is a 8 connection board....

https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/zUNmnlLF

having 8 connections on mine was done to make the board that is connected/soldered to the RPi compact...
as having a separate connection for the BL (LED) would just extend the board unnecessarily just for one connection.....

just install/enable as Moosepr has instructed and the option is for you, either have the BL (LED) connection separately or have it connected via the VCC (which will be done if using one of the boards mine or Moosepr)

i hope this clears it up.....

Broomhill

Post by Broomhill » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:41 pm

Thanks, just one follow up question. Is there a trade off with using the VCC instead of a separate pin?