Buttons not responding at retropie home screen

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
SubaruWRX

Buttons not responding at retropie home screen

Post by SubaruWRX » Tue May 29, 2018 7:39 am

Hey everyone,

I love this minty pi project, but I’m having a hard time getting the buttons to register at the retropie main menu.

Here is where I am in the project:
-soldered PCB to pi zero w (it may be worth noting I had problems getting continuity on two pins, ground and up button. It took over five attempts at resoldering to get it to have a solid connection)
-installed 4.3 minty pi retropie version from website onto microSD
-connected screen to PCB

Here is what I have verified with a multimeter so far
-continuity between pi zero and associated test pad
-continuity between actual button and pi zero pin (both ground side and associated button side), concluding that the PCB is okay
-5v line and 3.3v
-A button pad has 3.3v across it

I have tried to use the ds lite conductive pads to get the retropie button PCB to conduct, I also tried a piece of wire, and to my luck no recognition on the main menu. Even the built in start button on the PCB doesn’t recognize.

Any advice what check?

Thanks

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Re: Buttons not responding at retropie home screen

Post by Helder » Tue May 29, 2018 1:21 pm

What happens when you test continuity on the 2 solder pins of the start button when you press it? If there is continuity when you press it then the button is good.

Try testing continuity from lower pin of the button to the Start GPIO and see if that's good. Got pictures if your solder job?
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

SubaruWRX

Post by SubaruWRX » Tue May 29, 2018 1:41 pm

Helder wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 1:21 pm
What happens when you test continuity on the 2 solder pins of the start button when you press it? If there is continuity when you press it then the button is good.

Try testing continuity from lower pin of the button to the Start GPIO and see if that's good. Got pictures if your solder job?
Thanks for the response. Pressing the start button with a multimeter on start GPIO and ground GPIO yields a continuity beep. When not pressed there is no continuity beep. I was wrong about the pins I had trouble with, it was ground and left. You’ll see in my solder picture attached.

Thanks
Attachments
C0A7C133-AD92-414C-867C-86E3F7180303.jpeg
C0A7C133-AD92-414C-867C-86E3F7180303.jpeg (3.3 MiB) Viewed 4781 times

SubaruWRX

Post by SubaruWRX » Tue May 29, 2018 2:51 pm

Helder wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 1:21 pm

Is it possible that I broke the ground trace to the ground gpio when attempting to solder? It would explain why I still see 3.3v across the button connectors but physically pressing it doesn’t yield a OS response. Is there a ground pad I could check continuity with on the pi zero that isn’t GPIO? Maybe the ground line on the power USB?

Actually if the screen powers on, which it does, then the ground line isn’t disconnected at the pi GPIO, right?

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Tue May 29, 2018 3:36 pm

Ground seems ok since LCD is turning on. If you have some pin headers remove one and heat up the problematic GPIO and insert it in the hole (use tweezers!) all the way down. Once it's cool use some flush cutting snips and you will have a solid connection.

From any button GPIO to it's test pad is there continuity? And from the GPIO to the actual button pad on the face of the pcb do you have continuity?

Last resort is redo the SD image.

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

SubaruWRX

Post by SubaruWRX » Tue May 29, 2018 5:01 pm

Helder wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 3:36 pm
Ground seems ok since LCD is turning on. If you have some pin headers remove one and heat up the problematic GPIO and insert it in the hole (use tweezers!) all the way down. Once it's cool use some flush cutting snips and you will have a solid connection.

From any button GPIO to it's test pad is there continuity? And from the GPIO to the actual button pad on the face of the pcb do you have continuity?

Last resort is redo the SD image.
I verified continuity from the pi zero gpio pin to the button face (the positive terminal) and I verified continuity to the other half and ground. Both are okay. None of the buttons work at the retropie home screen which makes it seem like a software issue. I started with a standard sandisk microSD class 3 card that I formatted using windows etcher.io. My electrical engineer coworker flashed using a Mac. I’m onto a sandisk microSD class 10 flashed from windows and still no luck. Maybe a bad pi zero? I’ll share a video tomorrow with continuity measurements and boot up

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Tue May 29, 2018 10:57 pm

You can try hooking up a keyboard to the Pi and see if that works.

SubaruWRX

Post by SubaruWRX » Wed May 30, 2018 2:54 pm

Helder wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 10:57 pm
You can try hooking up a keyboard to the Pi and see if that works.
Here are some test videos:
https://youtu.be/2GdZNprIRZ8

https://youtu.be/WE2_z6v1e0k

https://youtu.be/cWDTd0cLUFI

Without the sound card, it pretty reliably boots to main menu of retropie, but there are some errors thrown during boot. I’ll attach a photo. I think it has to do when the pi wants to load the mintypi/sudomod splash screens. When the sound card and keyboard are plugged into the pi, the base os loads but during the second half it throws some faults that I haven’t been able to see the source. The serial screen cuts off about the mintypi splash screen while the HDMI output will last a few more seconds before the kernel panics. Any more thoughts?
Attachments
3E408006-4901-486A-9242-5EB70733B177.jpeg
3E408006-4901-486A-9242-5EB70733B177.jpeg (3.11 MiB) Viewed 4737 times

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Thu May 31, 2018 2:11 pm

Those errors are common with the sound card missing, the real question here is can you move around using a keyboard?

SubaruWRX

Post by SubaruWRX » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:56 am

Helder wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 2:11 pm
Those errors are common with the sound card missing, the real question here is can you move around using a keyboard?
No response from a keyboard. I installed mintypi retropie on another pi zero w and everything worked perfectly. Most likely pi zero fault. Thanks for your help anyway